Windows 10: Evolving Microsoft SmartScreen to protect you from drive-by attacks

Discus and support Evolving Microsoft SmartScreen to protect you from drive-by attacks in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft SmartScreen, integrated with Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, and the Windows operating system, has helped protect users from socially... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Brink
    Brink New Member

Evolving Microsoft SmartScreen to protect you from drive-by attacks

Source: Evolving Microsoft SmartScreen to protect you from drive-by attacks | Microsoft Edge Dev Blog

:)

Brink, Dec 15, 2015

2. Windows 10 online upgrade/Problems with Edge

Hello Doug,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

We do understand your concern and we will be happy to help you regarding this.

You may disable "SmartScreen Filter" and check if it helps. Please follow these steps:

a. Open Microsoft Edge.

b. Click "More Actions" button on the top right corner and then click
    settings.

c. Drag the mouse cursor to turn off "Help protect my PC from Malicious sites and downloads with SmartScreen Filter".

Note: Your computer may become vulnerable to malware attacks or browser hijacking if you turn off "SmartScreen Filter".

I hope this helps you. If you have any further queries, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Dec 15, 2015
  3. Martmcd Win User
    How to ensure key applications will still run after Win10 upgrade

I am glad you experienced no problems, I suspect that your backups (like mine) will be collecting dust for some time.

I am really not a fan of Norton, has so often been outperformed by free antivirus software, its a resource hog, tries to take too much control of the pc, causes as many issues as a virus and has a history of being very slow to deal with new threats.

A new thread may be a good idea, to get a range of views so that you can make an informed decision, my view is biased against Norton.

from
    https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2015/12/16/smartscreen-drive-by-improvements/

If SmartScreen determines that a website is potentially malicious, you’ll see a red warning and the content won’t render in either Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 10.

Evolving Microsoft SmartScreen to protect you from drive-by attacks [​IMG]

Microsoft SmartScreen warning

defender has been improved with windows 10, but the following (refers to windows 8) may give some insight as well.

from

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/windows-defender?woldogcb=0

SmartScreen Filter in Internet Explorer helps protect users from phishing and malware attacks by warning you if a website or download location has been reported as unsafe.

Evolving Microsoft SmartScreen to protect you from drive-by attacks [​IMG]

You'll see a warning like this if you browse to an unsafe website

Martmcd, Dec 15, 2015
Thema:

Evolving Microsoft SmartScreen to protect you from drive-by attacks

1. Evolving Microsoft SmartScreen to protect you from drive-by attacks - Similar Threads - Evolving Microsoft SmartScreen

2. exploit protection settings and smartscreen off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exploit protection settings and smartscreen off: Hello,Today i checked my windows security and it said that almost every expoit protection setting was off, while i did not turn them off. It also says that smartscreeen is disabled and i cant turn it back on and it says that its managed by my administrator.Does anyone know...
  3. exploit protection settings and smartscreen off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exploit protection settings and smartscreen off: Hello,Today i checked my windows security and it said that almost every expoit protection setting was off, while i did not turn them off. It also says that smartscreeen is disabled and i cant turn it back on and it says that its managed by my administrator.Does anyone know...
  4. exploit protection settings and smartscreen off

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Microsoft Defender SmartScreen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender SmartScreen: Hi,I want to install a program from an unknown publisher on my PC but I can't.When I try to install the same program on another PC I am prompted with the following messageI click More Info and choose INSTALL and the installation is successful.Why am I NOT prompted the same on...
  6. Microsoft Defender Smartscreen

Microsoft Defender Smartscreen: I get this pop up when trying to open an application which I downloaded onto my PC. "Microsoft Defender SmartScreen prevented an unrecognised app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk" Then it says "Don't Run" or "Run Anyway" What is the risk if I press...
  7. Protect Shadow Copy From Ransomeware Attack in Windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Protect Shadow Copy From Ransomeware Attack in Windows: Hi all I just want to know that is there any way to protect windows shadow copy from ransomware attack I heard that ransomware also delete shadow copy file by using command "vssadmin.exe delete shadows /all/quite" so if there is any way to protect shadow copy....
  8. Smartscreen. Smartscreen. Smartscreen.

Smartscreen. Smartscreen. Smartscreen.: Please try to understand: my problem is because of the Smartscreen. The Smartscreen is blocking installation of our software, Clone Files Checker. Our users are facing problem installing the program on their Windows 10 computers. I am the developer of the application and our...
  9. System Center Endpoint Protection protection network attacks

System Center Endpoint Protection protection network attacks: Good day, 1) Please inform which modules are responsible for protecting network attacks? What modules should be included? 2) A test simulation of a network attack on vulnerabilities was cited, and no events were found. Tell me where is the information about network attacks?...
  10. Protect PC from High-End Attacks?

Protect PC from High-End Attacks?: Hello! I was wondering if anyone could give me better tips to protect my PC from things like botnets. In the case I am particularly looking to expand my security horizon not on accidentally visiting websites that would give me a botnet, but people deliberately attempting...