Windows 10: Example of Windows 10 Running on KVM (Hypervisor) on Linux Host

Discus and support Example of Windows 10 Running on KVM (Hypervisor) on Linux Host in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Here's a recent build of Windows 10 running on the Linux HYPERVISOR (equivalent to Windows HYPER-V) KVM -- it's built into the kernel so all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jun 4, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Example of Windows 10 Running on KVM (Hypervisor) on Linux Host

Hi folks

Here's a recent build of Windows 10 running on the Linux HYPERVISOR (equivalent to Windows HYPER-V) KVM -- it's built into the kernel so all the extra packagres are available to run this. The main problem is to create a network bridge (equivalent to HYPER-V external switch) which you need - otherwise your VM won't have access to anything else on the network other than VM's on the same network.

Example of Windows 10 Running on KVM (Hypervisor) on Linux Host [​IMG]

However follow this and it's easy enough (similar on other distros such as ubuntu as well)

Install and Configure KVM (Bridge Net Interface) on CentOS 7 / RHEL 7 – tuxfixer.com

The only other thing left to do is to add the equivalent of VBOX additions etc to optimise video / sound / i/o.

Install the virtio-win package from Fedora and also download the .iso. Attach the .iso to the windows guest and install within the windows guest-- "Seeemples ...."! You need to install both on host and guest - the iso has signed windows binaries.

No probs with sound / networking or adding usb devices.

I'm running this as a test -- the HOST OS is booted from an external SSD via USB, the VM is on another external SSD via usb so not the best way and I've still to add the additions - but the Guest is snappy enough so far.

I'll probably create some more Windows VM's this way as I can probably run a lot more VM's with KVM than using VMWARE workstation

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 4, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM)

Hi folks
    for those using Linux Hosts and want to try out a hypervisor (built in in typical Linux distros) where you can pass thru video / usb stuff to guests - Windows 10 runs fine -- just follow steps in this link

Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough s Blog

It certainly is a lot easier and more flexible than HYPER-V and it doesn't need Windows PRO to run - so any machine with a Linux distro -- go for it.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 4, 2019
  3. is Windows Server 2016 supports UEFI secure Boot on KVM Hypervisor?

Hi

As part of customer ask we are validating Windows Server 2016 [Guest VM] UEFI secure boot mode on KVM(Hypervisor) Host. I am looking for support documents which helps me in assessing the same.

is Windows Server 2016 supports UEFI secure Boot on KVM Hypervisor? if so please provide information here.

Environment Details

KVM Host :RHEL 7.3

Guest VM : Windows Server 2016

Qemu Version : qemu-kvm-ev-2.9.0-16.el7_4.13.1

Thanks in Advance.

Pavan Kumar Aravapalli, Jun 4, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 10 Virtualisation on Linux via KVM Hypervisor

Hi folks

If you have time here's another interesting little experiment.
    Linux also has it's own HYPERVISOR (almost counter part of HYPER-V in Windows). Actually it also has XEN but KVM IMO is easier to set up.

Citrix uses XEN and as I've had HIDEOUS experiences with Citrix in various workplaces I've given XEN a miss and gone for KVM as a test to play with.

Here's a way to get a Windows 10 guest running under KVM (or other VM's) but this link specifically deals with Windows 10

Windows 10 Virtualization with KVM

Have fun guys !!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 4, 2019
Thema:

1. Example of Windows 10 Running on KVM (Hypervisor) on Linux Host - Similar Threads - Example Running KVM

2. Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Enable Windows VM's HOST access with KVM HOSTS: Hi folks If you are playing around with KVM Hosts and want Windows VM's to have host access without going through all problems of creating bridges (not supported via KVM on WIFI anyway) here's a simple way to do it : The method works by defining a "Virtual network" and a...
  3. Latest W10 build OK on KVM (Linux Hypervisor)

Latest W10 build OK on KVM (Linux Hypervisor): Hi folks Got latest W10 insider build via UUPDUMP. I had troubles with this build using VMWare -- wouldn't install on Linux Host. Installed perfectly on Linux Host with KVM/QEMU Hypervisor Networking OK (you will need to set up a network bridge for total access between...
  4. KVM Linux VPS Hosting

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    KVM Linux VPS Hosting: Is there any best KVM Linux VPS hosting providers? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/kvm-linux-vps-hosting/d176f644-031c-4867-888f-1ad7a5a47130
  5. Windows hypervisor is not running

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows hypervisor is not running: Everytime I do a startup, I get a: "# Localized 03/19/2019 02:32 AM (GMT) 303:6.40.10831 Hyper-V.psd1 # # Hyper-V BPA Localization File # ConvertFrom-StringData @' ###PSLOC - Start Localization rule1_Title=Windows hypervisor must be running rule1_Problem=Windows...
  6. Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors

Converting VMWare Windows VM to run on Linux hypervisors: Hi Virtual Machine user Geeks !!! You can convert Windows VMWare VM's to run on KVM or XEN --- these are 2 of the Linux HYPERVISORS equivalent to HYPER-V on Windows. For XEN (although KVM these days is the preferred method) : If you are using a Linux Host and have Windows...
  7. Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM)

Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM): Hi folks for those using Linux Hosts and want to try out a hypervisor (built in in typical Linux distros) where you can pass thru video / usb stuff to guests - Windows 10 runs fine -- just follow steps in this link Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough s...
  8. Windows 10 Virtualisation on Linux via KVM Hypervisor

Windows 10 Virtualisation on Linux via KVM Hypervisor: Hi folks If you have time here's another interesting little experiment. Linux also has it's own HYPERVISOR (almost counter part of HYPER-V in Windows). Actually it also has XEN but KVM IMO is easier to set up. Citrix uses XEN and as I've had HIDEOUS experiences with Citrix...
  9. Any Linux users running Windows using KVM

Any Linux users running Windows using KVM: Hi there Just wondering if there are any Linux users here running a Windows VM with the KVM virtualisation module in Linux. Cheers jimbo 2494
  10. KVM example -- W8.1 VM being created

KVM example -- W8.1 VM being created: Hi there I wish I'd done this earlier -- really flexible and much better performance than vmware or even Esxi. (note - when setting up storage pool / volumes for the VM - select RAW rather than the default qcows / qemu. It probably won't make a noticeable difference if...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. secure to have linux kvm hosting windows on laptop?