Windows 10: Excel 2016 crashing while trying to save the xlsm file in the network folder

Discus and support Excel 2016 crashing while trying to save the xlsm file in the network folder in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi there. We have an issue with Excel 2016 and xlsm file in the network folder. While we trying to save this file Excel closing. In the Event Viewer we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/trlhrn, Feb 25, 2021.

1. /u/trlhrn Win User

Excel 2016 crashing while trying to save the xlsm file in the network folder

Hi there. We have an issue with Excel 2016 and xlsm file in the network folder. While we trying to save this file Excel closing. In the Event Viewer we see an application error with the Exception code: 0xc0000005 Tried to reinstall Office, update video driver, add registry key Disable Acceleration, but no luck. This file saves normally in the Desktop, for example. Maybe somebody expirienced such issue. How we can fix it?

submitted by /u/trlhrn
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/trlhrn, Feb 25, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM???

Jim,

Just in case this is significant for anything you do with your Excel files
    - xlsm are not simply 'xlsx with macros enabled', the two types have very different internal structures
    - Excel can open, edit, save both types and can let you swap around between them when using SaveAs
    - xlsx files can be created using File explorer's context menu, New entry
    - only Excel itself can create xlsm files
    - Many third-party applications can open, edit & save xlsx files but not all can even open xlsm files

You might never need to know any of this but the wording you used concerned me.

All the best,
    Denis

3. Jon Hof Win User
    Excel 2016 and O365 Excel file contents do not index when saving to a network drive

Hello Mala.S

I have tried that as well.

The only option left is to check on the Network drive and see if the file type 2016 excel / 2016 excel macro enabled is on the list of files to be indexed.

What is the file type extension that I should be checking for or adding to the list?

the Network drive might be older and may not have the file type on the list.

from the property list this is the content type of the file..

application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet

application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.macroEnabled.12

Thank you.

Jon Hof, Feb 25, 2021
  4. BobWald Win User

Win-10 FILE EXPLORER opens Excel .xls files but now, suddenly and uniquely, fails to open excel files with an .xlsm extension.

Hello all

For the last 3 months my new Win-10 FILE EXPLORER has opened both Excel.xls and Excel.xlsm files without a hitch.

Suddenly, several days ago, the FILE EXPLORER stopped opening Excel.xlsm
    files while, surprisingly, continuing to open Excel.xls
    files.

The FILE EXPLORER error during the failure to open .xlsm files is - “not responding”.

Importantly the difficulty in opening
    .xlsm files is idiosyncratic to the FILE EXPLORER since when I navigate to the
    .xlsm files using the Excel 2007 app they open without a hitch.

It appears that the file extension, and not the file content, is causing the .xlsm problem. This is because when make a new excel file (containing only a formula summing two numbers) and save it once as .xls and then again as .xlsm the FILE EXPLORER uniquely
    fails to open the .xlsm file.

Despite the .xlsm designation neither of these files contains a macro.

The macro TRUST setting is the same for the two file formats.

Incidentally, I should note the the FILE EXPLORER "Rename" function also fails with Excel.xlsm files. The FILE EXPLORER works fine with Word, ppt and access applications.

It seems likely that some kind of Win-10 setting has been altered but that would be well beyond my pay grade.

Any help is deeply appreciated

BobWald, Feb 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Excel 2016 crashing while trying to save the xlsm file in the network folder - Similar Threads - Excel 2016 crashing

2. Excel access denied error while saving on Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel access denied error while saving on Shared Folder: HiI have Shared a Folder on a Windows Server 2019 this is a member server in our Domain for our Network Users , with full share permission.On the shared folders I have given all NTFS security permissions except " delete & delete files and sub-folders " to prevent users of the...
  3. Excel access denied error while saving on Shared Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel access denied error while saving on Shared Folder: HiI have Shared a Folder on a Windows Server 2019 this is a member server in our Domain for our Network Users , with full share permission.On the shared folders I have given all NTFS security permissions except " delete & delete files and sub-folders " to prevent users of the...
  4. Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM???

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM???: We think this started in April but for some reason Excel has changed itself to save files as .xlsm instead of the default .xlsx. One of our users caught this last week. We are on the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel running the May update Version 1908 (Build 11929.20776) 64...
  5. Saved Microsoft Excel File Not Encrypted in the Encrypted Folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Saved Microsoft Excel File Not Encrypted in the Encrypted Folder: When a *.xls excel file is saved in a encrypted folder the file is not automatically encrypted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saved-microsoft-excel-file-not-encrypted-in-the/c6b97419-6ce9-42e5-b449-4fc493672984
  6. Saving excel files on network drive issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving excel files on network drive issue: After upgrading win7 to win10 , we are unable to save the excel files on the network drive, although we can save locally or save as on the network drive without any issue. we are using office 2010 Thanks in advance Ayman...
  7. Excel 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Excel 2016: How do I customize the default date format in Excel 2016 to this -- Mmm dd / yyyy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-2016/1e4038d6-9a54-44e0-9556-925b91cef13a
  8. Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded?: I'm experiencing a strange issue with Microsoft Excel (Office 365 MSO 16.0.11126.20234 32B) and Windows Defender running on window 10 Pro (1809 Build 17763.253 64B) . When I save a macro-enabled Excel (.xlsm) workbook that has been open for a while it takes about 12 seconds...
  9. Where are the Excel 2016 Options saved on the drive?

Where are the Excel 2016 Options saved on the drive?: Hello ALL: I know where Excel 2016, and Word 2016 for that matter, saves the Ribbon and the Quick Access Toolbar. They are, of course in a file called Excel.officeUI or Word.officeUI. However, where are the other options saved like General, Save, Formulas, etc. ie: all the...
  10. Word 2016 crashes on save/save as

Word 2016 crashes on save/save as: When I do a save as or save, MS Word 2016, Version 1704 Build 8067.2157 becomes non responsive. No matter what the destination is, usually documents, it just crashes. Task manager to get out of it. Searched for problem on the internet, tried most if not all of the suggestions...