Windows 10: Excel 2016 Force Legacy Workbook Sharing or Ribbon button with Policy?

Discus and support Excel 2016 Force Legacy Workbook Sharing or Ribbon button with Policy? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello all, I am trying to migrate a bunch of users to Office 2016. Upon doing this i noticed that the Share Workbook functionality in Excel 2016 has... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by NessPJ, May 10, 2019.

1. NessPJ Win User

Excel 2016 Force Legacy Workbook Sharing or Ribbon button with Policy?

Hello all,

I am trying to migrate a bunch of users to Office 2016. Upon doing this i noticed that the Share Workbook functionality in Excel 2016 has been replaced with co-authoring.
    We use the share workbook functionality for editing files with multiple users on a local network. Thus we are obligated to use the Legacy Workbook Sharing.

1. Is there a way to use a Office Policy to ensure co-authoring is disabled and will this enable the Legacy workbook sharing?

2. If not; Is there a policy or another way to enforce the Share Workbook (Legacy) button in the Ribbon for all domain users?

:)

NessPJ, May 10, 2019

2. Defender AV preventing Excel 2013/2016 saving shared workbooks

Since windows 1709 update Excel keeps throwing up a sharing violation error when saving shared workbooks on network folders.

Troubleshooting so far:

Added folder to "trusted locations" in Trust Center - no joy

Ticked "allow network folder trust" in Trust Center - no joy

add XLSX file type, Excel.exe process and folder location to Defender exceptions - no joy

Turn off Realtime Protection - saves fine no problems

Turning off workbook sharing works but this is not an option, nor is disabling defender

what is it in particular about shared workbooks that defender doesn't like that I can add an exception for?

JimmyMac_2018, May 10, 2019
  3. Tony K Win User
    Some but not all Excel workbooks appear in taskbar.

Welcome to Windows Ten Forums, ju severn and restexas.

Don't know why you're having the issue and I don't have Office installed on my 10, but have in 8.1. I also have not had that many Excel workbooks opened to know if perhaps there's a limit to the list set in Office or in 10. I worked more with seperate sheets in a workbook rather than separate workbooks. However, for now to keep you working without the distraction, could you open a separate instance of Excel and work with it that way? Somewhat of a PITA I know, but that may work for now until resolved.

Tony K, May 10, 2019
  4. ju severn Win User

Some but not all Excel workbooks appear in taskbar.

I have for example, five Excel workbooks open, four will appear in the taskbar when I hover over the Excel icon and one will not. This happens pretty much every day and with a wide variety of Excel files, not the same ones. I have not noticed the same issue with other programs but must admit I rarely would have multiple files open from other programs.

I have tried every option suggested on forums that I have read including unticking and reticking the box in Excel advanced options to 'show all windows in taskbar', also right clicking on the taskbar to 'never combine' (and although this is not really what I'm after, the workbook will not show in the taskbar either). None of these make any difference.

I have also tried opening the files from the open button, from the recently used files list and from the folder they are stored in but this makes no difference.

When I 'alt-tab through the open screens, the workbook that I cannot see from the taskbar will always show as the very last item after every other screen from every other program I have open, even when it is the last item I have looked at.

It's driving me mad as in my work I always have to switch back and forth between spreadsheets.
    Can anyone help or has anyone else come across the same problem?

ju severn, May 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Excel 2016 Force Legacy Workbook Sharing or Ribbon button with Policy? - Similar Threads - Excel 2016 Force

2. Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password: We use Windows 11 on our desktops. Our office switched to 365 a few months ago. Ever since then, we cannot save an Excel workbook using the password while all other users are in read only. No other staff has the password. The error message just says "Document Not Saved." I am...
  3. Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password: We use Windows 11 on our desktops. Our office switched to 365 a few months ago. Ever since then, we cannot save an Excel workbook using the password while all other users are in read only. No other staff has the password. The error message just says "Document Not Saved." I am...
  4. When attempting to "restore down" an Excel Workbook, the workbook appears to disappear.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When attempting to "restore down" an Excel Workbook, the workbook appears to disappear.: When hovering over the Excel icon in the toolbar, the workbook I have restored down appears as a thin box. However, I cannot locate the restored down workbook to resize it. It is not visible anywhere on the desktop. After hovering over the toolbar icon, I can right-click the...
  5. When attempting to "restore down" an Excel Workbook, the workbook appears to disappear.

in Windows 10 Customization
    When attempting to "restore down" an Excel Workbook, the workbook appears to disappear.: When hovering over the Excel icon in the toolbar, the workbook I have restored down appears as a thin box. However, I cannot locate the restored down workbook to resize it. It is not visible anywhere on the desktop. After hovering over the toolbar icon, I can right-click the...
  6. EXCEL - SHARING OF A WORKBOOK WITH MULTI USERS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EXCEL - SHARING OF A WORKBOOK WITH MULTI USERS: I have created a master workbook and need to share this with multiple users. Each user only needs to see the columns and rows applicable to them other users info must be hidden and I then need to merge these files so that all the information pulls through to my master...
  7. command button name change in excel 2016

in Microsoft Office and 365
    command button name change in excel 2016: I have introduced a command button for running a macro in windows 10 excel 2016. the name of the button is shown as button 2. I want to change this. how to do it 154940
  8. Use Excel workbooks on multiple desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use Excel workbooks on multiple desktops: Hello! The problem I’m having is I want to use 2 desktops with a different excel workbook in each desktop. When I open an excel workbook in desktop 2, my computer switches to desktop 1 and opens the excel workbook there with the already existing workbook. This is annoying....
  9. Excel 2016 Jumplist no longer showing ANY recent workbooks

Excel 2016 Jumplist no longer showing ANY recent workbooks: I no longer have a section of the Jumplist labeled "Recent" it's just gone. I have 10+ Pinned workbooks and those all show up under the "Pinned" section of the jumplist but there is no "Recent" section or any documents showing other than my pinned workbooks. This just...
  10. Microsoft Excel Workbook on Different PC's

Microsoft Excel Workbook on Different PC's: We have a shared excel spreadsheet master that when opened appears correct on my PC. There is a formula IF cell D1 = A, E1 =25, IF cell D1 = B, E1 = 30, IF cell D1 = C, E1 = 35. Cell D1 has a drop down box and when the spreadsheet is opened default is set to A so E1 reads...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. excel share workbook legacy

2. legacy shared workbook in excel 2016

3. enable share workbook excel 365 legacy

4. enable share workbook legacy 2019,
  5. how to turn on legacy shared workbook excel 2016