Windows 10: Excel 2016 - Window Jerky When Moved

Discus and support Excel 2016 - Window Jerky When Moved in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; When I move my Excel 2016 window on the monitor it has a jerky movement -- not smooth at all. Every other application moves smoothly including other... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Tomel, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Tomel Win User

Excel 2016 - Window Jerky When Moved

When I move my Excel 2016 window on the monitor it has a jerky movement -- not smooth at all. Every other application moves smoothly including other Office 16 applications. It doesn't matter if the spreadsheet has no data and is the only application that is open. I also notice that Excel opens more slowly than other apps. All of this began several months ago. I should have noted the exact timing, but did not. It probably occurred as a result of a Windows update since I had not made any hardware or software changes during the time span that the problem began.

Anybody else experience these symptoms with Excel 2016? Any suggestion on what may have caused it (i.e., a certain Windows update) or how it might be fixed.

Thanks for any feedback.

:)

Tomel, Mar 5, 2018

2. How to add Excel 2010 to default file dropdown for xlsx file extentions

How can I change Excel 2016 (default program) for a given file type, to Excel 2010. I did not knowingly install Excel 2016, but I did install my valid license for Excel 2010

I have Windows 10.

Note, I had to choose something - for Windows topics, but the choice of "applications", "Windows office", or "Excel" was not available.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Microsoft Store

Allen Ringer, Mar 5, 2018
  3. Anne Fuj Win User
    Moving and opening files in Excel 2016

Thank you for keeping us posted, Danken.

Since the previous troubleshooting steps did not change anything, let's clear Windows 10 Quick Access history in File Explorer and see if it would do the trick. This help maintains some privacy or makes a fresh start when you open a file. To do this:

• Click Start and type: file explorer options and hit Enter or click the option at the top of the search results.
    • Now in the Privacy section make sure both boxes are checked for recently used files and folder for Quick Access and click the Clear button.
    • That’s it. This comes in handy if you’re working on different projects and need to start off with a clean slate of new files and folders.

If that did not help, let's move on to clearing the temporary file cache. Temporary files are usually created as an intermediary while another file is being created or modified, but they can also hold temporary data that are only needed by a program for
    a little while. Here is how:

• Open the Start Menu, search for the Disk Cleanup app, and launch it.
    • When prompted, select the drive that Windows is on (usually the C: drive).
    • Wait as it analyzes the file system.
    • Under the Disk Cleanup tab, uncheck all boxes except for the one labeled
      Temporary Files, then click OK.

If the problem persists, we may have to copy your files to a different drive for backup and format your D drive so we can further isolate this and see if what's causing this is the drive or not.

Update us with the result so we can assist you further.

Best,

Anne

Anne Fuj, Mar 5, 2018
  4. Excel 2016 - Window Jerky When Moved

I've noticed some weirdness with moving around Office windows as well.

Can you open task manager and drag the Excel window around for a bit? I get a very significant jump in CPU usage from Excel and the DWM, more so than other non-Office apps.

Excel 2016 - Window Jerky When Moved [​IMG]

PolarNettles, Mar 5, 2018
  5. Tomel Win User
    Tried your suggestion. Didn't see a lot of difference. See graph below showing CPU usage comparing Excel to Word. While this CPU usage was being recorded, Excel experienced the jerky movements. When I tried Word, smooth as silk. Desktop Windows Manager and Microsoft Excel compared to Word showed similar % usage for both Apps in the 5% to 10% range.

Tomel, Mar 5, 2018
  6. Tomel Win User
    Lots of views, but only 1 response. Does that mean that others are experiencing the problem but nobody knows the reason or has a solution? Just wondering.

Tomel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Excel 2016 - Window Jerky When Moved

1. Excel 2016 - Window Jerky When Moved - Similar Threads - Excel 2016 Window

2. Excel 2016 freezes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel 2016 freezes: Is there a reason, why Excel 2016 freezes when running under Windows 10? IT appears immediately after the start / restart of the system.Ictried a new User Profile, with No results.***** moved from german to english Community *****...
  3. Excel 2016 - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel 2016 - Windows 10: Hello & thank you for lending me your time and knowledge. It's such a silly question, I'm really quite embarrassed as I used to use this quite often.I have a row of letters typed up to the H. How do I auto-fill HORIZONTALLY? My data only wants to fill vertically, so obviously...
  4. Excel 2016 - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel 2016 - Windows 10: Hello & thank you for lending me your time and knowledge. It's such a silly question, I'm really quite embarrassed as I used to use this quite often.I have a row of letters typed up to the H. How do I auto-fill HORIZONTALLY? My data only wants to fill vertically, so obviously...
  5. Excel 2016 - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Cursor moves jerky, why?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cursor moves jerky, why?: Hello, community, when i disconnect my gaming laptop from the net, my mouse cursor moves jerky, even though i set everything to performance preference. Ausus Gaming Rog 16 GB Ram RTX 2070 I7 9750h 120 Hz Monitor Can anyone help me? Thank you &...
  7. Excel 2016

Excel 2016: How can I recover an excel2016 file that will not open maybe corrupt https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-2016/4ac0eb0f-7f93-4203-ba6e-ee4aa9899ed3
  8. Excel 2016

Excel 2016: How do I customize the default date format in Excel 2016 to this -- Mmm dd / yyyy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-2016/1e4038d6-9a54-44e0-9556-925b91cef13a
  9. Excel 2016

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Excel 2016: I've recently installed Office 365 Home (64-bit edition) on a brand new Dell XPS 15 9570 with 32 Gb of RAM and an i7 6-core processor and a 4k screen along with an Nvidia 1050 GPU. However, I've been very disappointed with the performance of Excel on the machine relative to...
  10. Screen gets jerky when I don't move my mouse

in Windows 10 Support
    Screen gets jerky when I don't move my mouse: Recently there was an update from windows on windows 8. A problem came about when i realised that everytime i spectate in a game or watch some TV series, the graphics starts to lag and becomes jerky. I thought it may be a problem with OS so i upgraded it to windows 10, but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. excell 2016 jerky on surface

2. office 365 excel moving window jerky

3. excel is jerky

4. excel movement jerky,
  5. moving microsoft office windows jerky,
  6. excel ui jerky,
  7. office 365 so jerky