Windows 10: EXCEL 2019 Stock and Geograpghy Data types missing

Discus and support EXCEL 2019 Stock and Geograpghy Data types missing in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi folks Is this only now an Office 365 feature -- for stock quotes the Stock and Geography data types aren't available it seems in current versions... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by jimbo45, May 5, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

EXCEL 2019 Stock and Geograpghy Data types missing

Hi folks

Is this only now an Office 365 feature -- for stock quotes the Stock and Geography data types aren't available it seems in current versions of Office 2019

Any body messing around with Stock Exchange type of stuff on EXCEL --the old yahoo used to have excellent Free API but I think Corporate Greed is everywhere now so this type of stuff doesn't seem to be free any more

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, May 5, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

Is this only now an Office 365 feature -- for stock quotes the Stock and Geography data types aren't available it seems in current versions of Office 2019

Any body messing around with Stock Exchange type of stuff on EXCEL --the old yahoo used to have excellent Free API but I think Corporate Greed is everywhere now so this type of stuff doesn't seem to be free any more

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 23, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    @ignatzatsonic

Basically just the basics for EOD (End of Day) Historical data prices -- OPEN, CLOSE, HIGH, LOW, VOLUME

Indices -- E.G FTSE 100 (London), US NASDAQ, S&P 500, S&P30, Sectors e,g Gas/Oil. utilities etc etc.

The Stock Connector addin is still available but I remember the stock and geographic data types from EXCEL 2016 -- maybe that was only a trial --I think now it's only available in Office/365 now.

Fortunately get data from web still works but the old nice api's that Yahoo used to have are finished and I'm not signing up to anything "Googley" to use the api in Google docs !!!!

For Day trading I already use a "Level 1" real time service -- the excel stuff is really for "Homework" / later analysis e.g "Technical Analysis" in "Trader speak".

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 23, 2020
  4. EXCEL 2019 Stock and Geograpghy Data types missing

I don't day trade, but I need closing prices for several dozen items every day and have for decades.

I've always tried to track and record this stuff through Excel--dating back at least as far as Excel 2007.

My experience has been that none of the so-called sources work more than a year or two. Then something will go haywire---a change in Excel, a change in behind-the-scenes coding at a website, an unexplained failure of a previously good ticker symbol, etc, etc.

Maybe 3 years ago, I just quit fighting trying to get this done in any semi-automated way......out of frustration.

Here's what I do instead:

I set up a portfolio of my 30 or 40 desired tickers at bigcharts.marketwatch.com. The default columns are for last, change, percentage change, high, low, volume, and time. All I really care about is the closing price, but I look at it during market hours off and on.

It takes about 2 hours after the close for the prices of mutual funds to arrive. Stocks and indexes are at most 15 minutes delayed.

Two hours or so after the close, I use my mouse to swipe over all the tickers and columns and do a copy/paste into cell A1 of the "Pricing" tab in my Portfolio Tracking Excel file. Tuesday's copy/paste will overwrite Monday prices, etc.

The other tabs in my Excel file contain formulas that correspond to certain cells in this Pricing tab. For instance, cell B3 of the Pricing tab is ALWAYS the SP 500 close.........so I have a formula "=prices!b3" for anywhere else in the other tabs that needs the closing value for that day's SP 500.

If I want to track some new ticker, I add it to my portfolio at Bigcharts and make the appropriate change in my formulas.

The only drawback is that it takes 30 seconds a day.

On the plus side, it has been foolproof---Bigcharts is consistent, reliable, always up, and the tickers don't fail.

I'd be interested in anything you know of that's better for my purposes. I've been down a lot of rabbit holes----but they've all eventually failed. Thus I'm willing to spend the 30 seconds.

ignatzatsonic, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. EXCEL 2019 Stock and Geograpghy Data types missing - Similar Threads - EXCEL 2019 Stock

2. Why is the Stock Data Type not pulling correct prices?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the Stock Data Type not pulling correct prices?: I'm online using the free Excel. I converted some tickers into Stock Data Types in col B. Over in Col J, I inserted "=B2.Price" using the dropdown from the data card. I copied that celll down my column.My first ticker was SHOPIFY INC. XNYS:SHOP and ties in with Yahoo Finance...
  3. Why is the Stock Data Type not pulling correct prices?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is the Stock Data Type not pulling correct prices?: I'm online using the free Excel. I converted some tickers into Stock Data Types in col B. Over in Col J, I inserted "=B2.Price" using the dropdown from the data card. I copied that celll down my column.My first ticker was SHOPIFY INC. XNYS:SHOP and ties in with Yahoo Finance...
  4. Why is the Stock Data Type not pulling correct prices?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Excel stock lookup gives wrong data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel stock lookup gives wrong data: [ATTACH] 2.85 is not the right answer for GAN https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-stock-lookup-gives-wrong-data/f8d8c704-cfba-4715-a0dd-3f9d9a7de01d
  6. Excel 2019 Typing Lag

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel 2019 Typing Lag: Hi, Anybody experiencing some typing lag in Excel 2019 ? I'm on Excel 2019 (16.0.10366.20016) 64 bit. I've disabled all the add ins, no custom menus. Even starting in safe mode it is still lagging. And only Excel is lagging, others like Word, Powerpoint even Access doesn't...
  7. MISSING MONEY STOCK information

in Windows 10 Customization
    MISSING MONEY STOCK information: HELLO: Noticed yesterday that on MS W10, something missing. You will find a "snip-it" of information regarding my MONEY/STOCK is NOW BLANK. How do i get that part of the page back they way it was on MONDAY. WHAT HAPPENED!!![ATTACH]...
  8. EXCEL automate download stock prices at end of day

in Microsoft Office and 365
    EXCEL automate download stock prices at end of day: Hi folks. anybody got suggestions on how to download end of day data for around 30 - 40 stocks (or more) using EXCEL and its Internet services. Basic data is OPEN/CLOSE/HIGH/LOW/VOLUME This can be downloaded from GOOGLE or YAHOO finance but it's a bit of a manual process...
  9. BUG? : Excel forgets the Data Types of Table Columns in Data Model

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    BUG? : Excel forgets the Data Types of Table Columns in Data Model: Microsoft Office 365, Version 1809 (Build 10827.20181 Click-to-Run) on Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Version 1803, OS Build 17134.345 I have a workbook with three tables in the Data Model, drawn from three tables on separate sheets in the workbook. Whenever I close and re-open...
  10. New Data Types in Excel for Office 365

in Windows 10 News
    New Data Types in Excel for Office 365: Every day, millions of Office 365 subscribers rely on Excel to perform complex tasks with intelligent tools like Insights and advanced data transformation. This month, we rolled out several updates, which harnesses the power of the Microsoft Cloud, to make Excel even more...