Windows 10: Excel does not work

Discus and support Excel does not work in Microsoft Windows 10 Store to solve the problem; An error message "Excel stopped working" appears on my screen and the program unexpectedly closes. How can I solve this problem?... Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 10 Store' started by LarryBoer, Apr 11, 2019.

1. LarryBoer Win User

Excel does not work

An error message "Excel stopped working" appears on my screen and the program unexpectedly closes. How can I solve this problem?

:)

LarryBoer, Apr 11, 2019

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Apr 11, 2019
  3. ddelo Win User
    Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
      Code:
      Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -force
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. Excel does not work :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Apr 11, 2019
  4. dalchina Win User

Excel does not work

CSV files used to open in Excel....not now!

Hi, you say Excel is installed. Does it run normally?

You can't find Excel in (an unspecified) list of applications. I don't know which list that is for sure.

For example, in the list related to:
    - rt click a file. Open With
    - this list:

Excel does not work [​IMG]

- this list:

Excel does not work [​IMG]

- some other list...

If Excel does not appear in the above, I suggest you repair your office installation.

Maybe the above gives you some ideas. Otherwise please post a screenshot of where you think you should see it but don't. Thanks.

dalchina, Apr 11, 2019
Thema:

Excel does not work

1. Excel does not work - Similar Threads - Excel does

2. Why does my excel file name change when I download it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my excel file name change when I download it?: I am working on a project for a Data Analytics class and a big part of the assignment is attaching the excel/power query file, and the professor has emphasized that if the file does not have a "LastName_FirstName" title then we get 10 points off. So obviously I made this the...
  3. Why does my excel file name change when I download it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my excel file name change when I download it?: I am working on a project for a Data Analytics class and a big part of the assignment is attaching the excel/power query file, and the professor has emphasized that if the file does not have a "LastName_FirstName" title then we get 10 points off. So obviously I made this the...
  4. Ctrl + D is not working but Ctrl + R does Excel or MS Project

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ctrl + D is not working but Ctrl + R does Excel or MS Project: Ctrl + D is not working, however all other short cuts are including Ctrl + R. I have latest excel version. Yesterday the function was working and today it doesnt work in excel or in MS Project. I have explored all the options i could find online and in this community group. i...
  5. Ctrl + D is not working but Ctrl + R does Excel or MS Project

Ctrl + D is not working but Ctrl + R does Excel or MS Project: Ctrl + D is not working, however all other short cuts are including Ctrl + R. I have latest excel version. Yesterday the function was working and today it doesnt work in excel or in MS Project. I have explored all the options i could find online and in this community group. i...
  6. Ctrl + D is not working but Ctrl + R does Excel or MS Project

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Why does keyboard type: 01/03 returns as March 1st instead of January 3rd in Excel?

Why does keyboard type: 01/03 returns as March 1st instead of January 3rd in Excel?: Keyboard type 01/03 returns as March 1st instead of January 3rd in Excel. This absolutely ludicrous. It never happened before but with a new laptop.- I live in Germany but all preferred/set languages are to English US, including the one from keyboard.- Excel, Options,...
  8. Why does keyboard type: 01/03 returns as March 1st instead of January 3rd in Excel?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does keyboard type: 01/03 returns as March 1st instead of January 3rd in Excel?: Keyboard type 01/03 returns as March 1st instead of January 3rd in Excel. This absolutely ludicrous. It never happened before but with a new laptop.- I live in Germany but all preferred/set languages are to English US, including the one from keyboard.- Excel, Options,...
  9. Why does keyboard type: 01/03 returns as March 1st instead of January 3rd in Excel?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. My preview pane does not show previews of jpegs or pdf's. It does show previews of excel...

My preview pane does not show previews of jpegs or pdf's. It does show previews of excel...: My preview pane does not show previews of jpegs or pdf's. It does show previews of excel and word. I have tried many different methods and none have fixed this problem. I've tried the following:show preview pane under viewshow preview handlers under folder optionsalways show...