Windows 10: Excel entry problem

Discus and support Excel entry problem in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Good morning. I am running Win 10 ver 1803 and recently updated it. I have a problem never encountered before. My Excel worksheet does not allow me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by metromiami74, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Excel entry problem

Good morning. I am running Win 10 ver 1803 and recently updated it. I have a problem never encountered before. My Excel worksheet does not allow me to enter a dollar figure. What comes up when I try is what appears to be a cursor flashing line. How do I fix this? Thanks.

:)

metromiami74, Oct 12, 2018
  2. ddelo Win User

Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
      Code:
      Set-ExecutionPolicy -Scope Process -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -force
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. Excel entry problem :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Oct 12, 2018
  3. Excel not recognized as an app in Windows 10.

I have the same problem. If I go to "Set defaults by App", there is no Excel 2016 entry, although Excel is installed and does work fine. How can I make Excel to appear in this list?

RenéHübscher, Oct 12, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

Excel entry problem

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Oct 12, 2018
Thema:

Excel entry problem

1. Excel entry problem - Similar Threads - Excel entry problem

2. Number problem in Excel cell

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Number problem in Excel cell: When, I enter a number in one cell,then I enter into another cell.On that time the first cell number become into decimal.example likeex.in Frist cell I enter 25 then I changed cell second one,but the first one became 0.25 like this ,what can I do now ,i think any settings...
  3. Number problem in Excel cell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Number problem in Excel cell: When, I enter a number in one cell,then I enter into another cell.On that time the first cell number become into decimal.example likeex.in Frist cell I enter 25 then I changed cell second one,but the first one became 0.25 like this ,what can I do now ,i think any settings...
  4. Excel scaling problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Excel scaling problem: With the updated download, I cannot get Excel to scale to one page or scale at all. I have been using this option for years so what is the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-scaling-problem/4808f5c3-df70-4875-9121-7d1722615f6b
  5. Problem with a registry entries

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Problem with a registry entries: Problem with the following registry: ActiveX/COM Issue LocalServer32\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechRuntime.exe -ToastNotifier HKCR\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab} [Original Title: registry entries]...
  6. Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned: I have moved my OneDrive folder from its default location to D: In my Excel recent files list I sometimes see two entries for a file One has the path D:\OneDrive etc and the filename includes the file extension The other has the path https://d.docs.live.net etc and does not...
  7. Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel jumplist entries won't stay pinned: I have moved my OneDrive folder from its default location to D: In my Excel recent files list I sometimes see two entries for a file One has the path D:\OneDrive etc and the filename includes the file extension The other has the path https://d.docs.live.net etc and does not...
  8. Touch keyboard won't stay on number entry in Excel

in Windows 10 Customization
    Touch keyboard won't stay on number entry in Excel: I am having an issue specificly with the Mircosoft Surface's touch screen keyboard (the tablet touch keyboard, not the accessibility on-screen keyboard). The keyboard switches back to the alphabet keyboard screen (which has no numbers) after using the numeric touch keyboard...
  9. Text entry problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Text entry problem: I have a text entry problem in that I cannot input text from my keyboard or the touchscreen keyboard. They are not unresponsive. If I just push random keys, things happen. There was a similar thread elsewhere, but the solutions involve running things using run or cmd prompts,...
  10. Excel entry problem

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Excel entry problem: Good morning. I am running Win 10 ver 1803 and recently updated it. I have a problem never encountered before. My Excel worksheet does not allow me to enter a dollar figure. What comes up when I try is what appears to be a cursor flashing line. How do I fix this? Thanks. 119719