Windows 10: excel file causes instability in "windows explorer"

Discus and support excel file causes instability in "windows explorer" in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I open an excel file by double clicking on the name in windows explorer, the file opens OK but at the same time, the explorer file list jumps up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Joel Trussell, Aug 26, 2019.

1. excel file causes instability in "windows explorer"

When I open an excel file by double clicking on the name in windows explorer, the file opens OK but at the same
    time, the explorer file list jumps up and down as it lists and de-lists the
    excel temp file. It is very distracting. I can close the explorer window or
    simply change to another folder. It occurs only on one of my computers and only on some excel files
    It happens only with excel files and not with word or acrobat

Any suggestions where to look for the problem. We've reinstalled Office 10 and reset my windows profile. nothing helped so far.

:)

Joel Trussell, Aug 26, 2019

2. Windows 10 Instability

Just wanted to list the problems I am having since "upgrading" to Windows 10:

1st are carry over issues from W8.1 that were not resolved with the upgrade:

- Microsoft Excel Drag & Drop memory conflicts that cause errors with every drag and drop attempt

- Instability with MovieMaker

Then additional Issues with Window 10:

- Windows Explorer instability (freezing up)

- Windows Edge freezing

- Windows Edge incompatibility with Zimbra mail services such that you can only send one email before Edge must be manually refreshed

- Windows Edge Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V functions do not work

- Windows right click functionality not working

- Additional MovieMaker instability, in that MovieMaker freezes after saving a movie file (not a project file)

- Memory leakage via Apps continuing to run in background after being closed, causing the following issues:

- Windows Explorer Unable to produce icons for files

- Windows Explorer unable to produce "Quick Access" display (very slow in processing, and then when green bar finally

hits 100%, doesn't produce display anything and bar remains at 100% as if frozen)

Any help is appreciated.

Running a Dell with Intel Core i5-4400 CPU with 8 GB RAM

Windows 10 User 34689, Aug 26, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 26, 2019
  4. excel file causes instability in "windows explorer"

FIles in Word, Excel and other programmes will not open from the explorer

Hi Brian,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

Please follow the steps.

Step 1:

Lets try to disable the DDE option following these steps:

• Click the File tab, and then click
      Options.
    • Click Advanced, and then click to clear the
      Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) check box in the
      General area.
    Click OK.

Step 2:

If the issue persists, uncheck the compatibility options by doing the following:

Right click on Excel (.exe) Properties > Compatibility > uncheck all the boxes

To access Excel (.exe), open the following location:

Windows 8 32bit: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

Windows 8 64bit: C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

For reference:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/there-was-a-problem-sending-the-command-to-the/56ee1743-b476-43a5-9b00-169b8c6ef37a

Hope the suggestion is helpful. Reply for further assistance.

Joy Kemprai, Aug 26, 2019
Thema:

excel file causes instability in "windows explorer"

1. excel file causes instability in "windows explorer" - Similar Threads - excel file causes

2. Widevine/DRM causes OS instability

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Widevine/DRM causes OS instability: Hello. I have not been able to use any of my digital services: Netflix, HBO Max or Prime Video due to the fact that, every time I click on protected content, the system goes bananas. This is what happens:1. Log on to DRM protected site such as Netflix -> No problem.2. Browse...
  3. Widevine/DRM causes OS instability

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Widevine/DRM causes OS instability: Hello. I have not been able to use any of my digital services: Netflix, HBO Max or Prime Video due to the fact that, every time I click on protected content, the system goes bananas. This is what happens:1. Log on to DRM protected site such as Netflix -> No problem.2. Browse...
  4. File explorer feature instability

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer feature instability: I just found an instability in the file explorer while adjusting its size in the snap layouts in windows 11. Basically, important functionality is not working. The drop-down menu closing when I am moving the cursor on the menu panel .Windows version: - Windows 11 home...
  5. File explorer feature instability

File explorer feature instability: I just found an instability in the file explorer while adjusting its size in the snap layouts in windows 11. Basically, important functionality is not working. The drop-down menu closing when I am moving the cursor on the menu panel .Windows version: - Windows 11 home...
  6. Unable to preview Excel files on File Explorer

Unable to preview Excel files on File Explorer: A user of ours who has Windows 10 Pro is unable to preview Excel files on the File explorer. She is able to preview Notes, Word documents, PDF's, Photos exccept Excel.Please advise as soon as possible. I have followed and viewed several articles everything has been done and...
  7. Previewing Excel files in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Previewing Excel files in File Explorer: I use the Windows File Explorer extensively. I like being able to preview files and can readily do so with Word and PDF files. However, I can't do so with Excel files. Is there anyway to add this capability?...
  8. Excel files opening as explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Excel files opening as explorer: Hello I followed a previous post from 2016 that was talking about someone who had excel files opening as explorer and I am having the same issue. The resolution for the other person was to use open with and someone copied in the path for excel. I am using office online so...
  9. Windows 1809 update causing SERIOUS instability!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 1809 update causing SERIOUS instability!: An expensive, very, custom ASUS running PERFECTLY for 18 months now, in spite of Microsoft force-feeding 'feature' updates into it (has nobody at Microsoft ever entertained the idea that some of us could not care any less about having new 'features'?). That was until the...
  10. Searching for excel files in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Searching for excel files in file explorer: How can I refine my search when searching for a particular spreadsheet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/searching-for-excel-files-in-file-explorer/5baecff7-1583-4f15-9e96-6e6e45efd92d