Windows 10: Excel - File open - hover over files - file names do not show up

Discus and support Excel - File open - hover over files - file names do not show up in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Office 365 / Windows 10 x64 Excel: File > Open shows a list of filenames. Due to the limited space, long file names are cut off, regretfully so.... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by tfwul, Feb 28, 2021.

1. tfwul Win User

Excel - File open - hover over files - file names do not show up

Office 365 / Windows 10 x64

Excel: File > Open shows a list of filenames.
    Due to the limited space, long file names are cut off, regretfully so.
    (There is a lot of unused empty space on the right of the File - Open dialog)

Problem: in case long file names with almost identical names it sometimes is difficult to select the one: the differences between these files are displayed. See attachment. One file is 02-2021 the other 02-2020, or vice versa?

Now, I suppose..., when hovering over the files, a pop-up would show up displaying the full file name(?)
    Repeat: suppose, as with me it never did.

However, if my assumption is correct and indeed a pop-up should show up, then I wonder what could prevent this from happening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    =

Excel - File open - hover over files - file names do not show up [​IMG]

:)

tfwul, Feb 28, 2021
  2. slozomby Win User

Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Feb 28, 2021
  3. Ketxxx Win User
    opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Feb 28, 2021
  4. thraxed Win User

help needed to reset file names

I think if you associated the file type with cmd.exe it would reset it. Right click on the .dat file and choose open with. Hold the shift key when you right click if you don't see the option. Just have to find the right program to change the hover info. In folder options I think there a box for showing extensions on registered file types.

thraxed, Feb 28, 2021
Thema:

1. Excel - File open - hover over files - file names do not show up - Similar Threads - Excel File open

2. file names do not show in windows11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    file names do not show in windows11: I am using Windows11. When I create files eg an Excel sheet, and give it a name, the file does not show in the folder. How can I correct this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-names-do-not-show-in-windows11/6be78dd3-0e1f-4220-814e-6dab082063eb
  3. Adjust taskbar hover-over bubbles to show only vertical list of file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adjust taskbar hover-over bubbles to show only vertical list of file names: I have a full taskbar. I've chosen to combine the taskbar icons when the taskbar is full. When I hover over one of the icons say Word, I see a horizontal arrangement of say three abutted thumbnails, one per Word document. The filenames show above the thumbnails in truncated...
  4. Adjust taskbar hover-over bubbles to show only vertical list of file names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adjust taskbar hover-over bubbles to show only vertical list of file names: I have a full taskbar. I've chosen to combine the taskbar icons when the taskbar is full. When I hover over one of the icons say Word, I see a horizontal arrangement of say three abutted thumbnails, one per Word document. The filenames show above the thumbnails in truncated...
  5. Adjust taskbar hover-over bubbles to show only vertical list of file names

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. Excel file will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel file will not open: Hi, I tried to save me excel file but it seems it was saved in another format and now I can't open it in excel. When I try to open it, a window pops up saying "how do you want to open this file?". Excel is not one of the options...
  7. Windows Explorer 'not responding' after hovering over Excel related files.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Explorer 'not responding' after hovering over Excel related files.: Window freezes not responding when hovering over Excel related files. No change when OneDrive sync is paused. Opening Excel files from within the Excel app is working. Other Office file types are not affected by whatever issue this is.Any feedback is appreciated....
  8. Show file names when hover over 1 of many documents on task bar

Show file names when hover over 1 of many documents on task bar: On Windows 7, if I hover over any 1 of say 3 Word documents on the task bar, I am shown a list of file names. I can select one, and focus will shift to that document. On Windows 10, I'm am shown 3 tiny images, one per document. It is not possible to tell which image is for...
  9. Excel files showing up in foreign language

Excel files showing up in foreign language: I recently started receiving Excel files in English from USA and opening files only to see spreadsheets written in a foreign, maybe eastern european language. Is there any reason this would start happening?...
  10. Hovering mouse over folder does not open it in file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hovering mouse over folder does not open it in file explorer: I have a problem with file explorer on windows 10 following the recent update. While drag and dropping a file into a folder, hovering over a folder no longer opens the folder to allow for direct placement into a subfolder. Any solution appreciated. ***Title modified from:...