Windows 10: excel file replaced by a TMP file

Discus and support excel file replaced by a TMP file in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a Excel file that has changed into a TMP file and cannot be opened. When trying to open from the Excel program, it indicates that the file is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Denis St Jacques, Sep 23, 2018.

1. excel file replaced by a TMP file

I have a Excel file that has changed into a TMP file and cannot be opened. When trying to open from the Excel program, it indicates that the file is missing. Why did it change and how do I get it back?

:)

Denis St Jacques, Sep 23, 2018

2. How to change location of MSI????.tmp file

Hi,

You may change the location of the .tmp file by following the steps provided below:

• Go to This PC.
    • Right-click This PC, and then select Advanced System Setting.
    • Click Environment Variables.
    • Under system variable, double-click tmp and change the path for the file of your reference.

If the location still can't be changed, we suggest that you post it on our
    MSDN forum
    . We have highly technical users and IT professionals there that can address your concern.

Feel free to contact us if you have other concerns.

Dennis Mop, Sep 23, 2018
  3. Excel file

Hi zhiyang....,

I'm assuming that since you're using Excel 2011, that you have a Mac. Have you tried saving the file in the default 2011 format of XLSX?

While I have tested and can open both XLS and XLSX files on my Windows Phone, they were both created in PC versions of Excel 2000 and Excel 2010.

As a test, would you:

• First, try saving the file as XLSX and see if you can access the newer file format on your phone.

Otherwise, try the following as a test:

• Open up a web browser
    • Go to Windows Live and login.
    • Select "SkyDrive" at the top of the brwoser window
    • Select the Excel icon near the top where it says "Create"
    • Add a few numbers and do an AutoSum. Maybe add some formatting.
    • Close the workbook (File -> Close workbook)
    • Next, your SkyDrive file listing will appear with the new file.
    • Click the "i" circle to the far right of the new file.
    • Now, select "Send a link"
    • Enter your e-mail information and click "Send"
    • On your phone, open the e-mail and click on the button that says "View document"
    • You should be able to view the document.
    • If yes, then there is apparently a compatibilty issue on the Mac using XLS and I would try my first suggestion of trying to save the file in a different format like the newer XLSX.

By the way, the procedure gets easier in Windows Phone Mango (coming soon - no official release dates yet except in Japan) as you can save to and access files directly from your SkyDrive. That would eliminate the e-mailing it to yourself steps ... a lot easier!

I hope this helps!

David

David Scammell, Sep 23, 2018
  4. dalchina Win User

excel file replaced by a TMP file

CSV files used to open in Excel....not now!

Hi, you say Excel is installed. Does it run normally?

You can't find Excel in (an unspecified) list of applications. I don't know which list that is for sure.

For example, in the list related to:
    - rt click a file. Open With
    - this list:

excel file replaced by a TMP file [​IMG]

- this list:

excel file replaced by a TMP file [​IMG]

- some other list...

If Excel does not appear in the above, I suggest you repair your office installation.

Maybe the above gives you some ideas. Otherwise please post a screenshot of where you think you should see it but don't. Thanks.

dalchina, Sep 23, 2018
Thema:

excel file replaced by a TMP file

1. excel file replaced by a TMP file - Similar Threads - excel file replaced

2. Excel Creates tmp files on USB drive and not on internal hard drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel Creates tmp files on USB drive and not on internal hard drives: When I open an Excel file stored on a USB drive, when I save this file it creates a .tmp file along with the saved file. When I open this same Excel file stored on my hard drive and save it, no .tmp file is created. When I try to delete the .tmp files off of the USB drive...
  3. File becomes TMP File

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File becomes TMP File: So I just restarted windows after my windows broke and now i'm trying to download chrome.When I do, the file just become a "TMP File" and when I download it says "Couldn't download - No permissions"...
  4. File becomes TMP File

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File becomes TMP File: So I just restarted windows after my windows broke and now i'm trying to download chrome.When I do, the file just become a "TMP File" and when I download it says "Couldn't download - No permissions"...
  5. tmp files .tmp

tmp files .tmp: I can empty all data in local temp folder , but as soon as open any web browser like Chrome or Microsoft edge they reappear. The files look like fc11a109-3f15-45b0-b483-630e1584a674.tmp. If I try then to delete the files individually, I get the message " The action can't be...
  6. Big .tmp files in %temp%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Big .tmp files in %temp%: Hi, recently I noticed that i need more space on my C: drive and I found a lot of big .tmp files in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp folder [from 500MB to 800MB]. The problem is that the Windows is showing 16GB of Temp files, but disk cleanup can delete only 25MB, Any...
  7. Unusual tmp files

Unusual tmp files: I navigated to a folder on my local server and noticed that a tmp file flashed in to view briefly in the folder and then disappeared. I was able to open a properties view window before it disappeared. It showed a file named EVPS_1744_4132_20201613742.tmp owned by the...
  8. excel files

excel files: Transferred files from windows xp to windows 10. unable to open files. File System Error (-2143322102). https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-files/eda9c459-1296-4b29-bbbe-e37b2dde5c03"
  9. tmp files

tmp files: I have loads of 'tmp' files being created hourly and find this very annoying. Only started happening in last 2 weeks. Anyone know how I can stop these from being created? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/tmp-files/743ff527-0706-4d34-8617-95f837722af4"
  10. tmp file malware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    tmp file malware: I believe my new laptop has been attacked and is now affected by a file named tmp file. How do I remove this tmp malware? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/tmp-file-malware/31b58fd1-b852-41c9-911f-5d28e92e6472

Users found this page by searching for:

1. open tmp file

2. what to do if an excel file converts into .tmp on an HP laptop?

3. excel file replaced with .tmp file

4. excel file replaced with tmp file,
  5. excel file replaced with a TMP file