Windows 10: Excel file suddenly deleted itself, tried everything to no avail

Discus and support Excel file suddenly deleted itself, tried everything to no avail in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an Excel file which I regularly use to track data but one day I opened it and all of a sudden it said that it's unavailable. I checked the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndrewKim_4326, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Excel file suddenly deleted itself, tried everything to no avail

I have an Excel file which I regularly use to track data but one day I opened it and all of a sudden it said that it's unavailable. I checked the original location and saw that the file just literally vanished. The file wasn't corrupt or anything. Itliterally doesn't exist anymore.

I fear this may be the work of malware which Avast Free Antivirus overlooked.

What do I do? Now I'm paranoid if the same thing is going to happen to my other precious files.

Is it even possible for files to delete itself on its own accord?

:)

AndrewKim_4326, Jul 10, 2020
  2. sygnus21 Win User

Excel itself set password to file

Sorry, but Excel doesn't just password protect itself. It takes active confirmation steps to accomplish this. Not saying the file isn't password protected, just saying someone "had" to setup a password.

And yes, I'm currently using Office 365.

sygnus21, Jul 10, 2020
  3. Try3 Win User
    Excel itself set password to file

No.

Please post a screenshot of Excel asking for a password for that file.
    - The cause must be either that the user set the password or there is a very, very strange form of file corruption taking place.
    - I have heard of scripts for scanning computers to list password-protected files. Perhaps running one of these would confirm / reject the notion that a real password has been set???
    - Is there any VBA in that Excel file? Any reference to .Protect in it [such as ActiveWorkbook.Protect]?

Denis

4. Demos_sav Win User

Excel file suddenly deleted itself, tried everything to no avail

Cannot delete files in Temp

I have that same problem. But the file I want to delete contains viruses too. I tried everything you said but nothing works. Could you please send me the secure deleter you wrote?

Demos_sav, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

Excel file suddenly deleted itself, tried everything to no avail

1. Excel file suddenly deleted itself, tried everything to no avail - Similar Threads - Excel file suddenly

2. windows suddenly deleted itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows suddenly deleted itself: So I wanted to convert my windows build format from mbr to gpt and i cannot do that directly i tried in an old computer the windows get corrupted luckily i had 2 disk and from an video i found out i can also do that through a different operating system so i decided to make a...
  3. windows suddenly deleted itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows suddenly deleted itself: So I wanted to convert my windows build format from mbr to gpt and i cannot do that directly i tried in an old computer the windows get corrupted luckily i had 2 disk and from an video i found out i can also do that through a different operating system so i decided to make a...
  4. windows suddenly deleted itself

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Everything on desktop deleted itself

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Everything on desktop deleted itself: I normally prefer to google these things and resolve them myself but I can't find anyone with the same problem as me, so here we go! Logged into my computer this morning and when the desktop popped up only a couple of my shortcuts were left. Everything else is just gone....
  6. Everything on desktop deleted itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Everything on desktop deleted itself: I normally prefer to google these things and resolve them myself but I can't find anyone with the same problem as me, so here we go! Logged into my computer this morning and when the desktop popped up only a couple of my shortcuts were left. Everything else is just gone....
  7. Everything on desktop deleted itself

8. Tried everything file is not deleting help pls

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Tried everything file is not deleting help pls: I TRIED CHANGING ADMINISTRATOR , i tried finding process in resource monitor , i tried stopping windows explorer , i did restart many times but i cant find where the file is in use plz help...
  9. Tried everything file is not deleting help pls

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried everything file is not deleting help pls: I TRIED CHANGING ADMINISTRATOR , i tried finding process in resource monitor , i tried stopping windows explorer , i did restart many times but i cant find where the file is in use plz help...
  10. Tried everything file is not deleting help pls