Windows 10: Excel files open very slowly

Discus and support Excel files open very slowly in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi, I have installed windows 10 pro a couple of days ago and I now experience a strange behavior from excel (office 2013). I suspect this worked... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Andrew87, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Andrew87 Win User

Excel files open very slowly

Hi,

I have installed windows 10 pro a couple of days ago and I now experience a strange behavior from excel (office 2013). I suspect this worked when booting new OS for the first time.

When I open any excel file from any location on any hard drive (ssd or hdd) it takes around 10 or more seconds for the file to open. When first opening excel itself and opening any file from inside of excel, everything is instant. This issue is not uncommon, however none of the solutions I found online worked for me.

I also tried to run windows without any non-microsoft services, disabled all start up programs, issue remained. Reinstalled office too. All the other office programs work correctly.

Has anyone had the same experience and would anyone have any idea or suggestion? Anything is welcome.

Thank you very much.

:)

Andrew87, Aug 1, 2015

2. it says can't edit the file. Why..what is the solution..

The solution to your problem is to open up your Excel files in Excel 2010 and save them as xlxs files. As I open and work with old files on my desktop computer, I have to always remember to save them as Excel 2010 files, slowly but surely I'm working
    my way through all my active Excel files.

Julie fka profjulie, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Excel 2013 spreadsheets open very slowly when Cortana is active

Ok, I have a workaround that I'm happy with, it's the equivalent of fixing something with the largest hammer in your toolbox, so it might not suit everyone.

I think this is only for .XLS files but you might be able to adapt it for other files.

Warning *** create a registry restore point first and do all the other obvious precautions ***

regedit

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Excel.Sheet.8\shell\Open

delete the whole 'Command' key (it's easy to repair at a later date by doing an office repair)

re-associate the .XLS files with Excel, right click 'open with'
    browse to Excel.exe.

Now excel files open fast from double clicking but is intermittent from the taskbar pinned items.

SteveO1964, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Excel files open very slowly

I've seen this as well, but it isn't consistent for me. It happens less often than not, so I haven't worried too much about it.

GatsbyGlen, Aug 1, 2015
  5. GDT
    GDT Win User
    It happens to me too, on all 4 PCs which was upgraded (including a Surface Pro), all with Office 2013. It's an issue of Excel only, Word for example works very well. Obviously is more noticeable on slow PCs, on the slowest one I've to wait 20-30 seconds before Excel starts. If I start Excel directly clicking on Excel icon without opening a file it starts lightning fast. Files are on local drives, it does the same with an empty excel file. I hope for a quick fix.

6. Andrew87 Win User
    I am not sure it is related, but I have noticed it today. On normally working office 2013, when opening a file and then closing it, it will not ask you whether you want to save your changes (no changes were done) but on my PC it does ask. Do you have the same experience GDT?

Otherwise I found some possible solutions here:

Word and Excel Slow to Open - Forums - CNET
    Excel very slow to open files
    windows 7 - Why is Excel 2010/2013 taking 10 seconds open any file? - Super User

I will try this when I get home.

Andrew87, Aug 2, 2015
  7. filip91 Win User
    I also have the same problem with Excel 2013. I managed to solve it by creating a new user account, but the problem reappeared after launching MS Edge for the first time (I don't know how is Edge related to Excel).

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  8. GDT
    GDT Win User

I'll try too tonight.
    One question. Which Antivirus do you have?

9. Andrew87 Win User
    Windows account or office account?

I will try this too. Thanks.

I just use default windows defender. I tried disabling it but didn't do anything to excel.

Andrew87, Aug 2, 2015
  10. filip91 Win User
    I have ESET Endpoint AV and I tried disabling it, didn't help. I've also tried all the other hacks I found on the internet earlier, none helped (disabling startup items, disabling shell extensions etc.).
    @Andrew87 Windows account, I created a new local account, removed the old MS Account and then converted the new local account to MS account. Problem didn't reappear until I started Edge for the first time on the new account.

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  11. GDT
    GDT Win User
    Other question: Do you have any adobe (creative cloud) app installed?

12. filip91 Win User
    No, but I do have Adobe CS4 installed.

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  13. GDT
    GDT Win User

Now I'm @work, my PC has Windows 7 so I can't try. You can make those quick tests:

1) Reboot PC, don't open edge browser and create an empty excel file on the desktop (right-click, new excel file). Then launch it and see if it starts quickly or not.

2) Create new account like you did before. DO NOT OPEN EDGE. Reboot. Never open Edge and try. Reboot and try again.

Maybe Edge related...

14. filip91 Win User
    Thank you, I already tried no. 1 yesterday, it is the same (there is a delay) and when it comes to 2, I will try it when I get home. I also think this is Edge related, since it didn't happen on Win 8.1.

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  15. Andrew87 Win User
    Maybe disabling edge before changing accounts? Can it be disabled?

Andrew87, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Excel files open very slowly - Similar Threads - Excel files open

2. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  3. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  4. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  6. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  7. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow: Hi MS supoport,Files in shared folder in local network file especially excel is very slow. Other file formats in the local network no issue.Had tried to open in excel in normal folder also no issue. All the user has been given the access right accordingly.Can help to advice...
  9. Snip & Sketch opening very slowly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Snip & Sketch opening very slowly.: Hi, recently after updating Windows 10 my snip & sketch shortcut has not been opening a snip right after pressing the buttons. It used to be basically instant and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a background application. I only know this because I can bring back...
  10. Files very often load only very slowly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Files very often load only very slowly: The CPU of my PC is an i7-6700 with 16 GB RAM running Windows 10 Pro 1809 Build 17763.379. I have my data on several internal SSDs and several NAS with Gigabit Ethernet connections. My antivirus software is the built in Defender from MS. My Windows 10 File Explorer is getting...