Windows 10: Excel files open very slowly

Discus and support Excel files open very slowly in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I don't think you can disable it. Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Andrew87, Aug 1, 2015.

1. GDT
    GDT Win User

Excel files open very slowly

I don't think you can disable it.

2. filip91 Win User

I think not, I also found out it can't be uninstalled from Windows 10.

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  3. GDT
    GDT Win User
    Reading old solutions for slow excel, before windows 10, seems like it was related to the Intranet traffic setting inside Internet Explorer.
    I searched for the same settings inside edge options (edge has got poor options settings) and I can't find any.
    Now I've found this:

Available policies for Microsoft Edge (Windows)

Maybe that sending intranet traffic to IE11 will do the trick. I someone can test this now let me know.

4. Excel files open very slowly

I see the problem when opening the file first, as opposed to opening Excel first. This really doesn't apply to me as I almost always open Excel first, and then look in my recent history. In this case, the application and files open quickly.

However, I can reproduce what the OP found. There is probably about a 7 second delay opening files individually. I tried the group policy setting above and rebooted. Unfortunately, it was unable to find any wireless connection - I was unable to connect to the internet. So I changed it back.

GatsbyGlen, Aug 2, 2015
  5. GDT
    GDT Win User
    Ok, but before reverting back, did you try to open an excel file?

6. Yes, there was no change. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

GatsbyGlen, Aug 2, 2015
  7. filip91 Win User
    I just came from work and I found out that after waking up the computer (it was in sleep mode while I was at work), Excel problem disappeared. I'll see what happens after few hours of usage...

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  8. Andrew87 Win User

I just created another account on the pc, excel worked. I started edge, excel still works. I will try to explore other solutions before doing as you did.

Would you mind briefly explaining how you connected local account to online? Does it have to be new online account or can I use my standard one?

Thanks.

Andrew87, Aug 2, 2015
  9. GDT
    GDT Win User
    Maybe related to online profile... onedrive integration? Who knows...

10. filip91 Win User
    I used my standard MS Account (which I also used for my first account on Windows 10 and on Windows 8.1), I connected it using standard MS options found in Settings / Accounts.

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  11. filip91 Win User
    It seems I am on to something - problem seems to be caused by modified HOSTS file I installed few days ago to block ads in Edge. For some reason, it can be reproduced by visiting a page containing (blocked) ads and it doesn't go away after exiting Edge because parts of the browser remain in memory. Problem disappeared after I ran CCleaner, which asked me to "exit Edge" (although it was already closed) and it will appear again if I visit a page full of ads. So, the solution seems to be to use the default HOSTS file and wait for Edge extension support to block ads.

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  12. GDT
    GDT Win User
    I don't think so. I have no modified host file.

13. Andrew87 Win User

I am afraid it is different root cause for everyone.

Andrew87, Aug 2, 2015
  14. filip91 Win User
    In my case, this was the solution, and I think this might be somehow related to the intranet problem GDT mentioned earlier.

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  15. Andrew87 Win User
    I just ran cc cleaner for registry to be sure, didn't help.

Andrew87, Aug 2, 2015
Thema:

1. Excel files open very slowly - Similar Threads - Excel files open

2. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  3. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  4. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  6. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  7. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow: Hi MS supoport,Files in shared folder in local network file especially excel is very slow. Other file formats in the local network no issue.Had tried to open in excel in normal folder also no issue. All the user has been given the access right accordingly.Can help to advice...
  9. Snip & Sketch opening very slowly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Snip & Sketch opening very slowly.: Hi, recently after updating Windows 10 my snip & sketch shortcut has not been opening a snip right after pressing the buttons. It used to be basically instant and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a background application. I only know this because I can bring back...
  10. Files very often load only very slowly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Files very often load only very slowly: The CPU of my PC is an i7-6700 with 16 GB RAM running Windows 10 Pro 1809 Build 17763.379. I have my data on several internal SSDs and several NAS with Gigabit Ethernet connections. My antivirus software is the built in Defender from MS. My Windows 10 File Explorer is getting...