Windows 10: Excel files open very slowly

Discus and support Excel files open very slowly in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; The same here, just tried. It askes me to close edge but after is the same. Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Andrew87, Aug 1, 2015.

1. GDT
    GDT Win User

Excel files open very slowly

The same here, just tried. It askes me to close edge but after is the same.

2. Andrew87 Win User

What about checking process explorer? I have just tried to see if there is anything suspicious just to realize I have no idea what's going on. Is there any expert who would be willing to look at some log?

Andrew87, Aug 2, 2015
  3. filip91 Win User
    I actually tracked it with Process Monitor yesterday and I noticed one thing - when I double-clicked the XLS file, nothing happened for 10-15 seconds and only then Explorer sent the command to start Excel.

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Andrew87 Win User

Amazing, just restarted my PC and after the CC clean, all works!

Andrew87, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Andrew87 Win User
    Well some delay is still there but I can live with that I guess. 1 second or so. Good enough

Andrew87, Aug 2, 2015
  6. filip91 Win User
    So, in my case, the problem is back after all... this time CCleaner and exiting Edge doesn't help at all, I will see what happens tomorrow morning...

filip91, Aug 2, 2015
  7. Andrew87 Win User
    I spoke too soon too... it is back now...

edit: that process explorer behaves exactly the same way for me too. Nothing happens until the excel actually starts, then everything happens in a few tenths.

Andrew87, Aug 2, 2015
  8. filip91 Win User

UPDATE: it seems that I managed to find the cause for the problem - in my case, it's Cortana. When I enable Cortana voice commands, the problem appears. When I tried exiting it through the Task Manager, problem stopped until Cortana restarted itself (which it does automatically), but when I disabled Cortana (via Cortana Settings) and then exited the app, it did restart itself but problem didn't reappear. I tried this multiple times and it was always the same.

filip91, Aug 4, 2015
  9. GDT
    GDT Win User
    GREAT! It solves the issue for me too. Well done filip. Now I hope for I fix from Microsoft, I like Cortana, it's funny. Meanwhile I'll disable it.

10. filip91 Win User
    I'm glad it helped. I'm thinking about filing a bug to Microsoft about this when I get back from work today, there is probably an option somewhere in the OS for this.

filip91, Aug 4, 2015
  11. VNT
    vnt Win User
    It seems to me that the voice command service that caused Excel problem. As I tried to disable Cortana and the problem persisted and then I just realized my Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 has a service called Lenovo Smart Voice. I turned it off and Excel problem disappeared. Thanks for the hint, Filip.

12. Andrew87 Win User
    Amazing, thanks Filip! It is Cortana indeed. After the initial CClean up and restarting PC it worked... until I used Cortana for the first time. Now I verified it again, excel runs normally > I use Cortana and right after excel stops working. I hope MS fixes this soon. Please let us know whether you filled in the bug report. Thanks again.

Andrew87, Aug 4, 2015
  13. filip91 Win User

I've filled a bug through Windows Feedback yesterday, I hope they fix this soon...

filip91, Aug 5, 2015
  14. KriS Win User
    Hi Filip, Would you be able to check something for me? I've had the same problem (its a one of the KB updates causing it) so I reverted back to the W8.1. The slow opening was bad but the worst thing was that I was unable to get external data using MS query (Excel just stopped everytime). Can you please check if this is working now? Get External Data -> From Other Sources -> From Microsoft Query. After clicking this command Excel just stopped (didn't display any window):/ Thanks

15. filip91 Win User
    Hi, I will check it later today when I get to my home computer.

filip91, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Excel files open very slowly - Similar Threads - Excel files open

2. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  3. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  4. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  6. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  7. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow: Hi MS supoport,Files in shared folder in local network file especially excel is very slow. Other file formats in the local network no issue.Had tried to open in excel in normal folder also no issue. All the user has been given the access right accordingly.Can help to advice...
  9. Snip & Sketch opening very slowly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Snip & Sketch opening very slowly.: Hi, recently after updating Windows 10 my snip & sketch shortcut has not been opening a snip right after pressing the buttons. It used to be basically instant and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a background application. I only know this because I can bring back...
  10. Files very often load only very slowly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Files very often load only very slowly: The CPU of my PC is an i7-6700 with 16 GB RAM running Windows 10 Pro 1809 Build 17763.379. I have my data on several internal SSDs and several NAS with Gigabit Ethernet connections. My antivirus software is the built in Defender from MS. My Windows 10 File Explorer is getting...