Windows 10: Excel files open very slowly

Discus and support Excel files open very slowly in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I am from China. I find the perfect solution. ie, you don't have to disable Cortana. 1. Change the (default) value of the following key:... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Andrew87, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Excel files open very slowly

I upgraded windows 7 home premium to windows 10 and i did not install Cortina. After the install Excel files had a 10 second delay upon opening them with a double click. Not only that, but after opening one of the Excel files, other Windows10 functions stopped working: the settings window comes up empty; system icons do nothing. I did this registry fix and the Excel files do open immediately; but the other Windows items continue to stop working. Rebooting fixes the windows items, until i open an excel file. I've tried several things to no avail; Windows10 is not ready for me... I am uninstalling until this is fixed...*Shock

michaelinfla, Aug 27, 2015
  2. Zahzahvah Win User

Add me to the list.

Excel and Word were running super smooth with < 0.5 second delay under Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit, upgraded to Win 10 Pro, now double-clicking on any MS office file take 8-10 seconds. Tried disabling Cortana voice and Cortana altogether, neither worked. Tried using the Office disc for repair, that did not work.

The only work around that works for me is to open Excel or Word first (no delay) then open the document, then there is no delay.

Zahzahvah, Aug 29, 2015
  3. LolaZada Win User
    I've had the same problems with Excel 2013 files opening very slow and running windows 10. I shut off Cortana, shut down computer and started it up. Bingo, all Excel files open without a delay. Hope this helps you.

LolaZada, Sep 26, 2015
  4. LolaZada Win User

Excel files open very slowly

"My Excel files, office 2013 would open very slow and I'm running windows 10. I shut off Cortana and shut down computer. Started computer and the problem left. Strange why Cortana would cause the problem, but no big deal for me, as I really never used it. Hope this helps."

LolaZada, Sep 26, 2015
  5. LolaZada Win User
    I had the same problem with Excel 2013 opening very slow and I'm running windows 10. I shut off Cortana, reboot, started up and the problem is gone. Don't know why Cortana causes this problem, but all is good now and I never used Cortana. Hope this help you.

LolaZada, Sep 26, 2015
  6. Tomel Win User
    Has this problem now been solved?

I just accidentally double-clicked a file (instead of opening the Excel App and then opening the file) and the file opened immediately!!! I have not disabled Cortana. Anybody else want to give it a try and report back?

Tomel, Oct 31, 2015
  7. jonstrong Win User
    I think there must be another reason that you had this experience. Is it consistently repeatable?

I use Office 365 (small business account) and had experienced this problem with the Office 2013 desktop apps. I just installed the Office 2016 desktop apps through the same subscription. I tried turning Cortana back on after the upgrade, and it seemed the problem was gone -- for a very brief time: right after upgrading, I double clicked an excel file and Excel opened immediately, loading the file. However I rebooted, tried again, and the problem was back. I turned off Cortana and the problem disappeared again. Rebooted, with Cortana still turned off, and Excel behaves properly. Clearly, Cortana still interferes with proper invocation of Excel by double-clicking a file outside of Excel (back to the DDE issue, most likely).

jonstrong, Oct 31, 2015
  8. Tomel Win User

Strange. I tried it again this morning and it's back to the slow file open again. I tried several times yesterday and files were loading quickly like they used to do before Windows 10. I made absolutely no system setting changes or software installs or uninstalls since yesterday. I'm a pretty experienced Windows user going way back, but cannot figure out what changed overnight (other than the time change).

Any ideas? Has anyone seen anything that would indicate Microsoft has this item on their radar for a fix?

Tomel, Oct 31, 2015
  9. Tomel Win User
    I've been working with excel and a few other apps since my post a few hours ago. Decided to try double-clicking an excel file to see if it was still loading slowly. Guess what -- the excel files are loading quickly again -- and when I say quickly, I mean instantly. As you can see from my system specs, I'm running a fast processor with lots of RAM.

Tomel, Oct 31, 2015
  10. Tomel Win User
    Just did a system restart. Files are loading slow again. I tried loading every application I've been using this morning one at a time followed by double-clicking an excel file. Can't get it to load quickly again. By the way, I didn't mention in my earliest post this morning that I completely shut down my desktop system at the end of each day.

Tomel, Oct 31, 2015
  11. jonstrong Win User
    Frustrating situation. Your recent experience makes me wonder if Microsoft has been dabbling with a fix, but hasn't gotten it working under all conditions -- but with no further information to go on, that's incredibly speculative, and even as I type this I realize it's not worth giving them credit for even having acknowledged the situation. This situation is disturbing: MS flaunts Cortana as their slick answer to Siri and Google Now, but the impact on heavy Excel users is pretty dreadful -- and there are probably many millions whose daily jobs involve working primarily with spreadsheets (financial analysts, modelers, accountants, sales personnel, sourcing / materials managers, etc.). If you open and work on many dozens of spreadsheets a day and are used to instant response, having at 15 or 20 second delay inserted up front become unacceptable. Sadly, MS's only response in forums like this has been purely generic, scripted answers that have no bearing on the true problem, and totally ignore the discussions in which so many of us have participated. When we confront the MS personnel who provide such meaningless answers - and ask to have this issue escalated to somebody who can actually understand the underlying issues and show us sufficient respect to actually discuss these with us in a meaningful manner, the MS folks simply drop out of the discussion without responding. The lack of respect and unprofessional manner in which customers are treated is a disgrace.

jonstrong, Oct 31, 2015
  12. I haven't seen this issue since going up on Office 2016, and I open Excel files everyday.

GatsbyGlen, Oct 31, 2015
  13. XERXESII Win User

I had applied a registry fix described in this thread to fix the issue with 2013. After upgrading to 2016, the issue returned. I reapplied the fix to take care of it.

XERXESII, Oct 31, 2015
  14. SOHO1 Win User
    This is the most infuriating thing about Microsoft "answers".

SOHO1, Jan 12, 2016
  15. I had the same problem. Changing the default printer to local solved the issue.

N G Hari Rao, Jan 23, 2016
Thema:

1. Excel files open very slowly - Similar Threads - Excel files open

2. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  3. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  4. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  6. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  7. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow: Hi MS supoport,Files in shared folder in local network file especially excel is very slow. Other file formats in the local network no issue.Had tried to open in excel in normal folder also no issue. All the user has been given the access right accordingly.Can help to advice...
  9. Snip & Sketch opening very slowly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Snip & Sketch opening very slowly.: Hi, recently after updating Windows 10 my snip & sketch shortcut has not been opening a snip right after pressing the buttons. It used to be basically instant and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a background application. I only know this because I can bring back...
  10. Files very often load only very slowly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Files very often load only very slowly: The CPU of my PC is an i7-6700 with 16 GB RAM running Windows 10 Pro 1809 Build 17763.379. I have my data on several internal SSDs and several NAS with Gigabit Ethernet connections. My antivirus software is the built in Defender from MS. My Windows 10 File Explorer is getting...