Windows 10: Excel files open very slowly

Discus and support Excel files open very slowly in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I've been having problems with slow opening of Excel 2010 files. I selected Office 2010 from the list of installed programs and selected the repair... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Andrew87, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Steve C Win User

Excel files open very slowly

I've been having problems with slow opening of Excel 2010 files. I selected Office 2010 from the list of installed programs and selected the repair option. This solved my problem.

Steve C, Jan 29, 2016
  2. jonstrong Win User

After suffering with the "excel files slow to open on double-click" problem in Win 10 since the OS version was released, it appears that MS finally fixed it.

This was definitely a problem with Cortana's use of DDE, and the double double-click event for an Excel file being set to also use DDE to attempt to open the file in a preexisting Excel session - if one existed. There are multiple references to this on several forums. Sadly, MS chose to shut down and stop responding to the topic any time somebody drew the conversation back to Cortana and DDE being the problem. But it seems that they heard, knew the source of the problem, and finally fixed it -- probably in the major December rollup fix for Win 10.

Net: I have Cortana turned on again -- but I can finally once again double-click on an Excel file, and Excel will open instantly and load the file. First time this behavior has worked in Windows 10 while Cortana is active. Glad that MS finally fixed this -- but they way they handled it in the interim was terribly disappointing - but sadly, true to form.

Jon

jonstrong, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Excel files open very slowly

1. Excel files open very slowly - Similar Threads - Excel files open

2. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  3. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Web sites open very very VERY slowly: I am using Windows 10 Home and Chrome. Quite usually it takes about 15-30 sec to load a page. I have very fast fiberoptics ~100mbps and also Linux Mint installed on the same machine and on Linux it is very fast. So it looks like that the problem with Windows settings.Any...
  4. Web sites open very very VERY slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  6. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File dialog window opens very slowly: Dear Microsoft,File dialog box opens very slowly , it takes nearly 2 minutes to open the window. Please refer to attached screenshot for referencePlease guide me to resolve the issue....
  7. File dialog window opens very slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Excel file open in shared folder in a local very slow: Hi MS supoport,Files in shared folder in local network file especially excel is very slow. Other file formats in the local network no issue.Had tried to open in excel in normal folder also no issue. All the user has been given the access right accordingly.Can help to advice...
  9. Snip & Sketch opening very slowly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Snip & Sketch opening very slowly.: Hi, recently after updating Windows 10 my snip & sketch shortcut has not been opening a snip right after pressing the buttons. It used to be basically instant and I'm pretty sure it has something to do with a background application. I only know this because I can bring back...
  10. Files very often load only very slowly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Files very often load only very slowly: The CPU of my PC is an i7-6700 with 16 GB RAM running Windows 10 Pro 1809 Build 17763.379. I have my data on several internal SSDs and several NAS with Gigabit Ethernet connections. My antivirus software is the built in Defender from MS. My Windows 10 File Explorer is getting...