Windows 10: Excel: how to sort columns

Discus and support Excel: how to sort columns in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; [img] Hi I I understand why those columns are sorted the way they are, but I cant sort them the way I want. ie - I would like CS_S all the way left,... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by riffwraith, Aug 8, 2020.

1. Excel: how to sort columns

Excel: how to sort columns [​IMG]

Hi

I I understand why those columns are sorted the way they are, but I cant sort them the way I want. ie - I would like CS_S all the way left, CS_E is in column 3, etc. I have tried a bunch of diff options under data>sort, but regardless of what I try, I cant get even one column to move anywhere.

Any help is appreciated.

:)

riffwraith, Aug 8, 2020

2. Column Auto sort as data is updated - Excel Windows 10

I have an excel spreadsheet which is automatically update with data.

I would like to have 1 column (M) sorted from highest to lowest when data changes - the spreadsheet area that should adjust accordingly is column 8A through 20P.

Can this be done and how?

No real tech savvy.

Thank you

79OakRidge, Aug 8, 2020
  3. Sorting column of mixed format data

You would need to do this:

• Create an extra column to the right of plot numbers.
    • Copy the plot numbers from the left to the right column.
    • Remove all letters from the left column.
    • Remove all numbers from the right column.
    • Place a space or an exclamation mark into all empty cells in the right column.
    • Sort the list against the left plus the right column.
    • Replace each exclamation mark with a space.

Frederik Long, Aug 8, 2020
  4. DavidY Win User

Excel: how to sort columns

MS Excel - Sorting text cells

1. Insert a blank column next to the one with your numbers 1,1a etc
    2. In that new column use a formula which is Code:
      where A2 is the cell reference of the first value in the catalogue numbers column (in my example it's in the first column)
    3. copy that formula down to all rows
    4. Add a title to the top of the new column, eg. 'Sorter'
    5. Select all the data range, and from the Data bit of the Ribbon, select the Sort option (not using an Autofilter), and select to sort on the new Sorter column
    6. You should get a dialog popping up saying the sort key may not sort as expected because it contains some numbers formatted as text. In this, choose the option to 'Sort numbers and numbers stored as text separately'.
    This should sort in the order 1,1a,1b,2,2a etc.

DavidY, Aug 8, 2020
Thema:

Excel: how to sort columns

1. Excel: how to sort columns - Similar Threads - Excel sort columns

2. Windows Explorer sort function not working - I click a column to sort by and the "wait"...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer sort function not working - I click a column to sort by and the "wait"...: I am using Windows 11 Home, Version 23H2, OS Build 22631.3155, I am using it on a Dell Inspiron, Intel Core i5-9400 CPU 2.90GHz. I have a lot of photos on my C drive ~56,000 in sllightly over 1,000 folders under my Pictures, that takes up 145 GB of HD space. I have plenty of...
  3. Excel sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel sorting: I want to sort a column of data, all of it starts with text then a number, so candidate 1; candidates 2 etc. when this gets up to candidate 10 & 11 etc and i sort the list it comes out as candidate 1; candidate 10, candidate 11, candidate 2; candidate 3 etc, i know its...
  4. How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?: Hello all, Long time no see. Been gone for a while, but now I need some help Let's say that I have an Excel table: Name Marge Maggie Lisa Homer Bart How can I sort the column so that it results in: Name Bart Homer Lisa Maggie Marge I've found some tutorials elsewhere,...
  5. Windows Explorer not showing "Sort by" columns

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer not showing "Sort by" columns: I can't recall exactly when the issue began, but for the past while many files have been missing their "Sort by" columns. I only see the three tabs: "ascending," descending," and "choose columns." Clicking the "choose columns" opens up the checkbox menu as usual, but none of...
  6. Excel 2103 adding digits to column

Excel 2103 adding digits to column: Hi guys can I ask for a little advice please I have an excel 2013 spreadsheet formatted as a table I have attached a screenshot to explain better As you can see I have a rows of dates in the header row IE 12th 13th 14th and so on to the left of the yellow column but when I...
  7. sorting columns in CSV file with powershell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    sorting columns in CSV file with powershell: I have a csv file with 1600 lines from which top ten lines given below N,EQ,ADANIPORTS,ADANI PORT & SEZ LTD,384.5,385,387.8,375,376.75,792818726.1,2085488,Y, ,40850,452.35,350.45 N,EQ,ASIANPAINT,ASIAN PAINTS LIMITED,1394.75,1395,1411,1385.05,1393.5,1284559258,919355,Y,...
  8. EXCEL sort sequence

EXCEL sort sequence: Hi there I'm trying to create a list of Movies in my DB in alphabetical order with folders A,B,C etc. Is there a way to store for example "The Day the earth Stood Still - 1951" in D ignoring the word "THE" in the sort sequence if it's the first word of the film title. I...
  9. Read from Excel specific columns

Read from Excel specific columns: Hallo, seit kurzer Zeit bewege auch ich mich durch das "Matlab-Universum". Demgemäß freue ich mich über jeden kleinen Schritt, der mir gelingt. Nun habe ich jedoch eine Aufgabe erhalten, welche - so denke ich - mein bisheriges Können bei weitem übersteigt. Folgender...
  10. Sorting Explorer columns by multiple criteria

in Windows 10 Support
    Sorting Explorer columns by multiple criteria: Hi, I used to sort files in the w10 explorer using detailed view by date and then, by left clicking on name, the directories by name. For some reason, this does not work any more. Does anyone have an idea how I can do this again, as it worked fine until recently....