Windows 10: Excel not visible on list of applications that can be assigned as default app for tsv files

Discus and support Excel not visible on list of applications that can be assigned as default app for tsv files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I was attempting to assign a new application to open files, such as .tsv files, however no MS Office app is listed in the menu. Upon trying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Joe_Delaney, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Excel not visible on list of applications that can be assigned as default app for tsv files

Hello,

I was attempting to assign a new application to open files, such as .tsv files, however no MS Office app is listed in the menu.

Upon trying to find Excel, I discovered there is no "Office" folder in either Program Files nor in Program Files (x86).

A search for Excel.exe yields no results in these main program folders, however, Excel.exe is found in an AppData folder "...\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop_[letters/numbers]" . However, when this is selected as the program to open a .tsv file, Windows 10 Pro yields the error message "The file cannot be accessed by the system" . There are no other Excel.exe files found.

I use Excel all the time for the files it was originally associated with. It is MS Office 365, provided by my institution.

While I can still drag the files manually into Excel, it seems like it should be straight-forward to use Excel as a default App.

Thank you for your support,

-Joe

:)

Joe_Delaney, Jan 3, 2019

2. Excel not visible on list of applications that can be assigned as default app for csv files

Hi

I'm using win 10 and office 2016.

By accident I assigned mytorrent as default file type to csv. When I want to change it back to Excel (xlsx), Excel is not on the liste I see in the different ways I've tried. I suppose Excel is the most obvious choice for csv.

I have tried right clicking the file and selecting open with. Excel not an option.

Then I have tried to change the program attachments (translated from danish). I'll check that csv should be opened by excel, but that only changes the default app from mytorrent to Notepad!

How do I get excel to be the default app for csv?

Peter

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

PeterEllemose, Jan 3, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    Excel not visible on list of applications that can be assigned as default app for csv files

• Right click a csv file, choose 'Open With' - 'Choose another app'
    • Then at the bottom click 'More Apps' if Excel still does not appear in the list, scroll to the bottom and click 'Look for another App on this PC'
    • Then navigate to this location (you might need to change Office16 depending on the version of office you are running): 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16' and select Excel.exe

DaveM121, Jan 3, 2019
  4. Excel not visible on list of applications that can be assigned as default app for tsv files

How to remove a default file association app from a file type in Windows 10 - set to "no default app" associated

Hi Goa,

When you selected a certain program in “Open With” there is no option to revert this change. Since DLL files are independent, there is no other program than you can replace the default program with it.
    To help you out with your concerns with default programs, we'd like to ask you some questions:

• What were the recent changes made on your computer before you experienced this issue?
    • What are the workarounds you have done so far?
    • Have you assigned Excel as a default program for DLL files? We would like to confirm this.

You can navigate this by following the steps on this link:
    Change default programs in Windows 10
    . Once there, click
    Open Default apps.
    Then, click Choose default apps by file type.
    Look for the DLL file, see if you can remove the assigned program in the DLL format.

Your response will be much appreciated.

Johann Eva, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

Excel not visible on list of applications that can be assigned as default app for tsv files

1. Excel not visible on list of applications that can be assigned as default app for tsv files - Similar Threads - Excel visible list

2. .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...: Hi.When i open any .pdf file from file explorer, the default app to open and view such files is Notepad.I want to change so that the default app is Google Chrome. This should be easy to do, by going to "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by file type", scroll down until i...
  3. .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .pdf will not show up in the list of files at "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by...: Hi.When i open any .pdf file from file explorer, the default app to open and view such files is Notepad.I want to change so that the default app is Google Chrome. This should be easy to do, by going to "Apps">"Default Apps">"Choose defaults by file type", scroll down until i...
  4. Assign Default Mail App By GPO

Assign Default Mail App By GPO: How does a domain administrator assign a Default Mail Application to windows 10 users without replacing the entire AppAssociations.xml? I want to only set the default mail app to Outlook instead of Windows Mail. I do not want to replace the entire AppAssociations.xml due to...
  5. How do I Assign an application a Default Monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I Assign an application a Default Monitor: Hello gang! I run windows10 with 4 monitors and multiple complex applications. If I power down the monitors the HDMI monitors my applications move all over the place to other monitors! I am looking for a simple way to preassign an application position and monitor so...
  6. default app not listed for a file

default app not listed for a file: how do I change the default app for file if the app is not listed but has been installed on the PC. the files are for embroidery software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-app-not-listed-for-a-file/646fc608-d66f-4545-bf2d-ccbc2a16545b
  7. Applications not visible

Applications not visible: some details. I have an Acer Aspire vx 15 and its a few years old, running on windows ten. Everything should be up to date I have a problem where with a few applications on my computer some being: the pokemon tcg, epic games, and trds they open and I see them in my try and...
  8. How do I add an app to the list of applications for setting file "open with" defaults

How do I add an app to the list of applications for setting file "open with" defaults: I just installed DesignCad on my Windows 10 PC which creates a file with the extension .dcd. I have used this program on other Windows PCs and have never had a problem opening these files from the file explorer. Now, I'm getting the message that Windows doesn't know which...
  9. How do I add an app to the list of applications for setting file "open with" defaults

How do I add an app to the list of applications for setting file "open with" defaults: I just installed DesignCad on my Windows 10 PC which creates a file with the extension .dcd. I have used this program on other Windows PCs and have never had a problem opening these files from the file explorer. Now, I'm getting the message that Windows doesn't know which...
  10. Programs (Applications) not in list to be chosen as "defaults"

Programs (Applications) not in list to be chosen as "defaults": I am trying to set Quicken as my default PFM application (so that it will automatically open QFX file types), but even though the program is loaded and working it is not presented in the list of "applications" to be selected and used as a "default" application?? When I search...