Windows 10: EXCEL sort sequence

Discus and support EXCEL sort sequence in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hi there I'm trying to create a list of Movies in my DB in alphabetical order with folders A,B,C etc. Is there a way to store for example "The... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by jimbo45, Sep 19, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

EXCEL sort sequence

Hi there

I'm trying to create a list of Movies in my DB in alphabetical order with folders A,B,C etc.

Is there a way to store for example "The Day the earth Stood Still - 1951" in D ignoring the word "THE" in the sort sequence if it's the first word of the film title. I also don't want to store the title as for example "Day the Earth stood still The"

Should be simple but I can't seem to construct a decent EXCEL formula that does this for me.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 19, 2015

2. People App Sorting Anomaly

I have found a strange anomaly in the way the People App sorts titles. If I put a Dr. title in front of the first name of a doctor, sometimes it is sorted into the D's and sometime it is sorted into first or last name sequence. I would actually like to
    be able to reproduce the sequence where it is sorted by Ds so that all doctors are put into the same area. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts?

RobertLBradley, Sep 19, 2015
  3. thejohnz Win User
    Explorer saved searches default to Content View/Descending Order in spite of being saved as Xtra Large Icon/Name (Ascending)

So, to summarise:

My problem is that Windows 10 search-ms files do not return the correct results, eg:

1) I define a search. The files originally appear in a default Layout/Sort-By sequence. Very quick, always correct.

2) I re-order the Sorting sequence to Name/Ascending and change the Layout to Xtra Large Icons. All seems fine.

3) I save the result to a search-ms file.

4) Opening that search-ms file in Notepad++ I see, for instance, the correct Sort-By instruction:

<sortList><sort viewField="System.ItemNameDisplay" direction="ascending"/></sortList>

5) I run the search but it still displays in the original/default Layout/Sort-By sequence - not the one I gave it.

To compound my confusion:

Sometimes the search-ms file starts to work properly if I Save it a second or third time - with no apparent change to the search-ms file itself (ie a simple Copy/Paste into Excel of the text of the search-ms file when it displays incorrectly and a second
    Copy/Paste of the file when it is working shows exactly the same len())

This suggests that Windows maintains some other list of Layout/Sort-By definitions for search-ms "folders".

I know Windows maintains a list of Folder-related Views for ordinary Folders - and users often have problems with the fact that the list is too short. But I thought that as search-ms "files' (which seem to be treated as a special type of folder) contains
    their own Layout/Sort-by in their actual definition they were not treated like that.

Hope that helps narrow down the problem...

thejohnz, Sep 19, 2015
  4. EXCEL sort sequence

Hi Jimbo,

this custom sort is possible....ofcourse! *Smile Let me explain two easy ways to do this.

1) Create an extra column and insert a formula like "IF(LEFT(xx;3)="The";MID(xx;4;LEN(xx));xx)
    Now simply sort the database on this column.
    It is nice to hide this column and write a litte bit VBA code to do the sort *Smile

2) Do the entire thing from VBA. The fastest way is to load the entire database into a collection and then do the sort in the memory and print the results.
    However...if you are not used to working with collections this is very difficult. So another option is to loop through the database using the bubble algorithme (check internet for the code) and ofcourse don't forget to tell the code that, if the first word is "The", it sometime have to skip some letters.

Method 1 is the easiest. Method 2 is the most beautiful option.

Goodluck!

Greetz,

Rover

Der Snoober, Sep 19, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

thanks

that worked a treat (option 1).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

EXCEL sort sequence

1. EXCEL sort sequence - Similar Threads - EXCEL sort sequence

2. Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?: I have many Excel files open, along with other apps. In the taskbar, I need to group the icons by application. When I hover above the Excel icon, a list of open files appear. The problem is that the files are not alphabetically sorted. No amount of right-clicking anywhere...
  3. Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?: I have many Excel files open, along with other apps. In the taskbar, I need to group the icons by application. When I hover above the Excel icon, a list of open files appear. The problem is that the files are not alphabetically sorted. No amount of right-clicking anywhere...
  4. Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Excel sorting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel sorting: I want to sort a column of data, all of it starts with text then a number, so candidate 1; candidates 2 etc. when this gets up to candidate 10 &amp; 11 etc and i sort the list it comes out as candidate 1; candidate 10, candidate 11, candidate 2; candidate 3 etc, i know its...
  6. How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?: Hello all, Long time no see. Been gone for a while, but now I need some help Let's say that I have an Excel table: Name Marge Maggie Lisa Homer Bart How can I sort the column so that it results in: Name Bart Homer Lisa Maggie Marge I've found some tutorials elsewhere,...
  7. Excel: how to sort columns

Excel: how to sort columns: [img] Hi I I understand why those columns are sorted the way they are, but I cant sort them the way I want. ie - I would like CS_S all the way left, CS_E is in column 3, etc. I have tried a bunch of diff options under data>sort, but regardless of what I try, I cant get...
  8. MS Excel - Sorting text cells

MS Excel - Sorting text cells: I am entering stamp collection catalogue "numbers" in a spreadsheet column. However, I am having problems sorting the stamps properly. For example: stamps 1, 2, 3, 1a, 2a, 3a should be sorted as 1, 1a, 2, 2a, 3, 3a. I know I am doing something wrong because I keep getting the...
  9. Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence

in Windows 10 Support
    Numerical Sorting in File Explorer - Change the Collating Sequence: I was checking out the collating sequence on Windows 7 for a friend and found this post on SevenForums: Numerical Sorting in Windows Explorer - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Help Forums Curious, I decided to give it a go on W10 even though this computer did not have the...
  10. Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Sort sequence irritant -- wrong sequence: Hi there when browsing through tagged music files Windows seems to come up with the WRONG sort sequence For example if I'm browsing Mozart Mozart symphonies /CD 1 Mozart symphonies /CD 10 ------- /CD 14 Mozart symphonies /CD 2 Mozart symphonies /CD 3 What I...