Windows 10: Excel sorting

Discus and support Excel sorting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I want to sort a column of data, all of it starts with text then a number, so candidate 1; candidates 2 etc. when this gets up to candidate 10 & 11... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SCOTTF7, Mar 8, 2021.

1. SCOTTF7 Win User

Excel sorting

I want to sort a column of data, all of it starts with text then a number, so candidate 1; candidates 2 etc. when this gets up to candidate 10 & 11 etc and i sort the list it comes out as candidate 1; candidate 10, candidate 11, candidate 2; candidate 3 etc, i know its something to do with formatting but cant get it, any advice?

:)

SCOTTF7, Mar 8, 2021
  2. jimbo45 Win User

EXCEL sort sequence

Hi there

I'm trying to create a list of Movies in my DB in alphabetical order with folders A,B,C etc.

Is there a way to store for example "The Day the earth Stood Still - 1951" in D ignoring the word "THE" in the sort sequence if it's the first word of the film title. I also don't want to store the title as for example "Day the Earth stood still The"

Should be simple but I can't seem to construct a decent EXCEL formula that does this for me.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 8, 2021
  3. fopetesl Win User
    Excel will not use Thunderbird to email spreadsheet on Windows 10 Pro

I was trying to keep it simple, she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer but kind natured.
    If i could emulate what I can do thenwhen she gets twined up I can talk her step by step.

if we can't sort why Win 10 Excel won't see T-B as the main email client then we'll just have to go with your suggestion.

I should have said Win 10 pro 64 bit?

fopetesl, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Excel sorting

Sorting in OneNote

Not a list all by itself, but if it's a table, a sort option is available (basically sorts like you might in an Excel grid).

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

Excel sorting

1. Excel sorting - Similar Threads - Excel sorting

2. Mediocre sound quality despite excellent speakers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mediocre sound quality despite excellent speakers: I have just gotten a new Win laptop - MSI Stealth 16, supposedly a great laptop - and have been struggling to get good, acceptable sound quality. I come from an old mac, where the sound was terrific. What's problematic:I've tried various equalisers in Win 11 including Boom,...
  3. Mediocre sound quality despite excellent speakers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mediocre sound quality despite excellent speakers: I have just gotten a new Win laptop - MSI Stealth 16, supposedly a great laptop - and have been struggling to get good, acceptable sound quality. I come from an old mac, where the sound was terrific. What's problematic:I've tried various equalisers in Win 11 including Boom,...
  4. Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?: I have many Excel files open, along with other apps. In the taskbar, I need to group the icons by application. When I hover above the Excel icon, a list of open files appear. The problem is that the files are not alphabetically sorted. No amount of right-clicking anywhere...
  5. Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?: I have many Excel files open, along with other apps. In the taskbar, I need to group the icons by application. When I hover above the Excel icon, a list of open files appear. The problem is that the files are not alphabetically sorted. No amount of right-clicking anywhere...
  6. Sort Excel files or any files that are grouped in the taskbar?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How To Sort Microsoft Excel Cells Alphanumerically?: Hello all, Long time no see. Been gone for a while, but now I need some help Let's say that I have an Excel table: Name Marge Maggie Lisa Homer Bart How can I sort the column so that it results in: Name Bart Homer Lisa Maggie Marge I've found some tutorials elsewhere,...
  8. Excel: how to sort columns

Excel: how to sort columns: [img] Hi I I understand why those columns are sorted the way they are, but I cant sort them the way I want. ie - I would like CS_S all the way left, CS_E is in column 3, etc. I have tried a bunch of diff options under data>sort, but regardless of what I try, I cant get...
  9. MS Excel - Sorting text cells

MS Excel - Sorting text cells: I am entering stamp collection catalogue "numbers" in a spreadsheet column. However, I am having problems sorting the stamps properly. For example: stamps 1, 2, 3, 1a, 2a, 3a should be sorted as 1, 1a, 2, 2a, 3, 3a. I know I am doing something wrong because I keep getting the...
  10. EXCEL sort sequence

EXCEL sort sequence: Hi there I'm trying to create a list of Movies in my DB in alphabetical order with folders A,B,C etc. Is there a way to store for example "The Day the earth Stood Still - 1951" in D ignoring the word "THE" in the sort sequence if it's the first word of the film title. I...