Windows 10: Excel Taskbar Icon not showing pinned workbooks

Discus and support Excel Taskbar Icon not showing pinned workbooks in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; The Office 365 Excel Taskbar icon will not show list of pinned workbooks. I have to open Excel and then select from pinned workbooks. The windows... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by AEOUserID, Feb 16, 2020.

1. AEOUserID Win User

Excel Taskbar Icon not showing pinned workbooks

The Office 365 Excel Taskbar icon will not show list of pinned workbooks. I have to open Excel and then select from pinned workbooks.

The windows update assistant was used to do an update install, keep programs and files.

Win10 x64 version 1909 (OS build 18262.657)

:)

AEOUserID, Feb 16, 2020
  2. ju severn Win User

Some but not all Excel workbooks appear in taskbar.

I have for example, five Excel workbooks open, four will appear in the taskbar when I hover over the Excel icon and one will not. This happens pretty much every day and with a wide variety of Excel files, not the same ones. I have not noticed the same issue with other programs but must admit I rarely would have multiple files open from other programs.

I have tried every option suggested on forums that I have read including unticking and reticking the box in Excel advanced options to 'show all windows in taskbar', also right clicking on the taskbar to 'never combine' (and although this is not really what I'm after, the workbook will not show in the taskbar either). None of these make any difference.

I have also tried opening the files from the open button, from the recently used files list and from the folder they are stored in but this makes no difference.

When I 'alt-tab through the open screens, the workbook that I cannot see from the taskbar will always show as the very last item after every other screen from every other program I have open, even when it is the last item I have looked at.

It's driving me mad as in my work I always have to switch back and forth between spreadsheets.
    Can anyone help or has anyone else come across the same problem?

ju severn, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Tony K Win User
    Some but not all Excel workbooks appear in taskbar.

Welcome to Windows Ten Forums, ju severn and restexas.

Don't know why you're having the issue and I don't have Office installed on my 10, but have in 8.1. I also have not had that many Excel workbooks opened to know if perhaps there's a limit to the list set in Office or in 10. I worked more with seperate sheets in a workbook rather than separate workbooks. However, for now to keep you working without the distraction, could you open a separate instance of Excel and work with it that way? Somewhat of a PITA I know, but that may work for now until resolved.

Tony K, Feb 16, 2020
  4. KomouPoji Win User

Trying to move desktop icon to the task bar. Cannot make it “stick” to the taskbar

Hi,

To assist you further, let me ask.

• When you say “Trying to move desktop icon to the task bar”, you mean pin the excel workbook to the task bar?
    • what exactly when you try to stick the excel file to the taskbar?
    If you are trying to pin the excel workbook to the taskbar.

Follow the steps below.

• Click on the start menu, select the icon and right-click on the icon.

• From the list, select pin it to taskbar or pin it to start.
    Also, you can drag the icon from the desktop and drop on the task bar.

I hope the information is helpful and if the issue still persists, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Excel Taskbar Icon not showing pinned workbooks - Similar Threads - Excel Taskbar Icon

2. Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password: We use Windows 11 on our desktops. Our office switched to 365 a few months ago. Ever since then, we cannot save an Excel workbook using the password while all other users are in read only. No other staff has the password. The error message just says "Document Not Saved." I am...
  3. Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel Workbook Not Saving with Password: We use Windows 11 on our desktops. Our office switched to 365 a few months ago. Ever since then, we cannot save an Excel workbook using the password while all other users are in read only. No other staff has the password. The error message just says "Document Not Saved." I am...
  4. How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?: When I open Excel and click file/open, I have 5 files in the pinned section. However, in the taskbar icon, there are only two of those files in the pinned section. Clicking on the pin icon next to a file, doesn't move it to the pinned section of files in the taskbar.Any...
  5. How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to pin Excel pinned files to taskbar icon?: When I open Excel and click file/open, I have 5 files in the pinned section. However, in the taskbar icon, there are only two of those files in the pinned section. Clicking on the pin icon next to a file, doesn't move it to the pinned section of files in the taskbar.Any...
  6. EXCEL - SHARING OF A WORKBOOK WITH MULTI USERS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EXCEL - SHARING OF A WORKBOOK WITH MULTI USERS: I have created a master workbook and need to share this with multiple users. Each user only needs to see the columns and rows applicable to them other users info must be hidden and I then need to merge these files so that all the information pulls through to my master...
  7. Use Excel workbooks on multiple desktops

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Use Excel workbooks on multiple desktops: Hello! The problem I’m having is I want to use 2 desktops with a different excel workbook in each desktop. When I open an excel workbook in desktop 2, my computer switches to desktop 1 and opens the excel workbook there with the already existing workbook. This is annoying....
  8. Excel 2016 Jumplist no longer showing ANY recent workbooks

in Windows 10 Customization
    Excel 2016 Jumplist no longer showing ANY recent workbooks: I no longer have a section of the Jumplist labeled "Recent" it's just gone. I have 10+ Pinned workbooks and those all show up under the "Pinned" section of the jumplist but there is no "Recent" section or any documents showing other than my pinned workbooks. This just...
  9. Microsoft Excel Workbook on Different PC's

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Excel Workbook on Different PC's: We have a shared excel spreadsheet master that when opened appears correct on my PC. There is a formula IF cell D1 = A, E1 =25, IF cell D1 = B, E1 = 30, IF cell D1 = C, E1 = 35. Cell D1 has a drop down box and when the spreadsheet is opened default is set to A so E1 reads...
  10. Some but not all Excel workbooks appear in taskbar.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Some but not all Excel workbooks appear in taskbar.: I have for example, five Excel workbooks open, four will appear in the taskbar when I hover over the Excel icon and one will not. This happens pretty much every day and with a wide variety of Excel files, not the same ones. I have not noticed the same issue with other...