Windows 10: Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM???

Discus and support Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM??? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; We think this started in April but for some reason Excel has changed itself to save files as .xlsm instead of the default .xlsx. One of our users... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by macdad, Jul 6, 2020.

1. macdad Win User

Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM???

We think this started in April but for some reason Excel has changed itself to save files as .xlsm instead of the default .xlsx. One of our users caught this last week. We are on the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel running the May update Version 1908 (Build 11929.20776) 64 bit. The version/licensing of Office we have doesn't allow for controlling Office via group policy. Has anyone experienced this and if so know of some way to mass change it back instead of having to show over 200 users how to change this setting manually within Excel?

Note: We have controlled some of Office's behavior in group policy via registry setting changes. I've went through the registry and the default save settings for Excel seem to be in at least 12 different registry settings.

Note: Microsoft should be releasing Version 1909 to our channel this month. I'm wondering if the upgrade to the new version will change Excel back to the default save .xlxs?

:)

macdad, Jul 6, 2020
  2. Jerry8A Win User

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Jul 6, 2020
  3. Alden Rey Win User
    excel not auto recovering and manually saving

Hi,

The concern you have encountered with Excel not auto saving may be due to a corrupted file or a misconfigured setting.

May we ask if you have 3rd party software running when using Excel? If yes, we suggest to temporarily disable it to isolate the issue.

Any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?

Have you tried any possible troubleshooting steps? If yes, what are those steps and did you get any error messages?

You can turn-on the auto save option by the following steps:

• Open Excel
    • Go to File then Options
    • Under Save option, check the 'Save AutoRecovery information in every' option
    the best way to check when auto save is disabled is to hover over the toggle and read the reason that the popup tool tip identifies. Simply follow the steps provided in this

article

According to this
    article
    the autosave function will be disabled when the file is in the old file format .xls.

Kindly keep us posted with the results.

Regards.

Alden Rey, Jul 6, 2020
  4. Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM???

print default margins for excell

1. Open a new Excel workbook.

2. Change the page margins for all the worksheets in the workbook. Make sure they reflect the page margins you want used as your default.

3.Make any other desired "default" changes in the workbook. This may include (but not be limited to) headers, footers, and the like.

4.Choose Save As from the File menu. Excel displays the Save As dialog box.

5.In the Save As Type pull-down list at the bottom of the dialog box, select Excel Template or Excel Macro-Enabled Template. (The option you select depends on whether you have macros in the workbook or not.)

6.The file name you use should be Book.xltx or Book.xltm (depending, again, on whether it contains macros).

7.Save your newly created template in the XLStart folder. (Do not save it in the default template folder.)

That's it. Now, any time you create a new workbook, Excel uses your template (Book.xltx or Book.xltm) as its model for what you want.

If you are unsure of where the XLStart folder is located (step 7), use Windows to search for the folder. Its exact location can vary depending on how Excel was installed on your machine, as well as the version you are using. You should note that if you are
    using Excel in a networked environment, you may not have the proper permissions to modify or save anything in the XLStart folder on the server. In that case, you should talk to your network administrator to see if you can save your workbook in the proper place.-
    Allen Wyatt, excel.tips.net

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Smittychat., Jul 6, 2020
Thema:

Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM???

1. Excel Version 1908/Default Save is XLSM??? - Similar Threads - Excel Version 1908

2. Opening Saved Excel,

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening Saved Excel,: I have a file saved in Excel and was just wandering if there was any way to program this file to open in full screen?There are times when I open this file and just the resizing and closing buttons are displayed....
  3. win 10 Enterprise version 1908

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    win 10 Enterprise version 1908: I am using win 10 Enterprise version 1908 OS build 17763.2061 in brand new 25 pc fresh installation ,and almost 10 system freeze/hang up keyboard mouse even not working i couldn't find out any reason related to hardware/software. motherboard: MS-7A40Processor: AMd Ryzen 3...
  4. Excel 2016 crashing while trying to save the xlsm file in the network folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Excel 2016 crashing while trying to save the xlsm file in the network folder: Hi there. We have an issue with Excel 2016 and xlsm file in the network folder. While we trying to save this file Excel closing. In the Event Viewer we see an application error with the Exception code: 0xc0000005 Tried to reinstall Office, update video driver, add registry...
  5. Office 365 version 1908 update

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 version 1908 update: ]Hi, my current build of Office 365 1908 version is 11929.20300 (September build) and the last build is 11929.20838 . As mentionned in the official site https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...5-apps-updates the release upgrading from is either Version 1908 (Build...
  6. Office 365 version 1908 update

in Windows 10 Support
    Office 365 version 1908 update: ]Hi, my current build of Office 365 1908 version is 11929.20300 (September build) and the last build is 11929.20838 . As mentionned in the official site https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/off...5-apps-updates the release upgrading from is either Version 1908 (Build...
  7. .XLSM file opened from Windows 10 Timeline opens in Excel Mobile!?!?!??!!?!?

in Windows 10 Customization
    .XLSM file opened from Windows 10 Timeline opens in Excel Mobile!?!?!??!!?!?: Environment is Windows 10 Pro x64. Current with updates and feature updates. I have Office365 Home Premium installed. Windows default for all Excel file types I just looked at says Excel not Excel Mobile. Nonetheless, all of a sudden my laptop has taken to opening Excel...
  8. Windows 10 Updates version 1803 to 1908

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Updates version 1803 to 1908: I Am Using Toshiba C 850 Laptop My Current Windows Version Is Windows 10 1803 but not updated new version windows 1903 so why not updated this version ....
  9. Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why does Windows Defender slow my Excel file saving, even if the xlsm file type is excluded?: I'm experiencing a strange issue with Microsoft Excel (Office 365 MSO 16.0.11126.20234 32B) and Windows Defender running on window 10 Pro (1809 Build 17763.253 64B) . When I save a macro-enabled Excel (.xlsm) workbook that has been open for a while it takes about 12 seconds...
  10. Saving thumbnail in Excel

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Saving thumbnail in Excel: When I save a workbook in Excel 2016 it will save, as a thumbnail, the thumbnail of the first workbook I created so if I have a lot of workbooks with different dates in he first column all workbooks will save with the date of the first workbook saved showing. If I save the...