Windows 10: Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby)

Discus and support Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby) in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; For my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (Win 10 20H2 Build 19042.928) I have had issues using hibernation. About 30% of the time, the WiFi device will not work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by lemmy999, May 4, 2021.

1. lemmy999 Win User

Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby)

For my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (Win 10 20H2 Build 19042.928) I have had issues using hibernation. About 30% of the time, the WiFi device will not work when resuming from hibernation. The device will not even appear in device manager. A reboot is required to make it appear and function again. I did lots of searching regarding this problem and I found that if I update to the latest BIOS (1.41) then for "Sleep Mode" in the BIOS I can select "Linux" instead of "Win 10" and this will make Sleep Mode S3 available. This worked great and I would use sleep instead of hibernate. But then I noticed that if the sleep was initiated by closing the lid of the computer, the touch screen would not work (disappears from device manager) when resuming from the sleep. This can be fixed by disabling the Thunderbolt port (but I need it for an ID Token). The touch screen works fine if the sleep was initiated in the Start menu or with the power button. But the problem is that if I put the computer to sleep with the power button and it enters sleep, the computer will immediately wake when I later close the lid and I have been unable to figure out why this happens. So after all of that, I decided to try to get Modern Standby (S0) to work for me. I set the Network to be disconnected when in the S0 sleep state so now a powercfg /a shows these as the available sleep states: Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected Hibernate I did this so that I could get as low power as possible, and I have no need for the computer to do anything while sleeping (which is why I prefer S3). I started with a fully charged computer and closed the lid. 11.75 hours later I opened the lid and the battery remaining was around 28%. So that is about 6.1% per hour discharge rate, which is quite excessive. I did powercfg /sleepstudy and it shows Mobile Intel(R) Processor Family I/O PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18 (\_SB.PCI0.RP09) 100% active during that time. I look in device manager and it reports the device is working properly, there are no conflicts, the version is 10.1.1.45 with a date of 7/18/1968 (odd date!), and provider is INTEL. When I look on the Lenovo support page for my computer, the chipset driver version is shown as 10.1.18228.8176 (12/25/2019) and if you look in the ReadMe it says 10.1.1.45 (1/30/2018) is two versions back. So I am not sure why the Lenovo auto updater isn't installing this. I am not even sure what a PCI Express Root Port #9 is, so I am really at a loss to determine why it won't go to a low power state. I have performed all of the updates using the Lenovo support page auto update and all Windows updates have been performed. One thing I noticed is that for this device in device manager, when I go to the drive tab and select driver details, it lists several files: C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\nipbcfk.sys (National Instruments 3.0.0f0) C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\nipcibrd.sys (National Instruments 18.5.0f0) C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\nipxibrc.sys (National Instruments 17.3.0f0) C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\nischifk.sys (National Instruments 2.0.0.0f0) C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys (Microsoft, 10.0.19041.1) All but first one lists Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility as the Digital Signer. This laptop has a fair amount of National Instruments (LabView, etc) installed on it, so maybe that is what is causing the high power usage during sleep. I am considering uninstalling all of that. I really don't understand why so many driver files are listed in "Driver File Details", and why none of them are version 10.1.1.45 (the version reported in the Driver tab. Thanks for any suggestions. - - - Updated - - - I updated the chipset driver to the version 10.1.18228.8176 found on the Lenovo website (Device Manager now shows it as 10.1.5.2 for the Mobile Intel(R) Processor Family I/O PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18 device). This time I started with the battery at 100% and closed the lid for 3 hours and the battery lost just over 30%. So that is over 10% per hour. The report has a 1 hour session where the computer was active (not in sleep or hibernate) and it only used 14% in an hour.

:)

lemmy999, May 4, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

S0 Modern standby is not sleep but a glorified idle condition. That's why it uses so much power - the computer is on during S0.

Denis

Try3, May 4, 2021
  3. lemmy999 Win User

For my Lenovo X1 Yoga 3rd Gen (Win 10 20H2 Build 19042.928) I have had issues using hibernation. About 30% of the time, the WiFi device will not work when resuming from hibernation. The device will not even appear in device manager. A reboot is required to make it appear and function again. I did lots of searching regarding this problem and I found that if I update to the latest BIOS (1.41) then for "Sleep Mode" in the BIOS I can select "Linux" instead of "Win 10" and this will make Sleep Mode S3 available. This worked great and I would use sleep instead of hibernate. But then I noticed that if the sleep was initiated by closing the lid of the computer, the touch screen would not work (disappears from device manager) when resuming from the sleep. This can be fixed by disabling the Thunderbolt port (but I need it for an ID Token). The touch screen works fine if the sleep was initiated in the Start menu or with the power button. But the problem is that if I put the computer to sleep with the power button and it enters sleep, the computer will immediately wake when I later close the lid and I have been unable to figure out why this happens.

So after all of that, I decided to try to get Modern Standby (S0) to work for me. I set the Network to be disconnected when in the S0 sleep state so now a powercfg /a shows these as the available sleep states:

Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Disconnected
    Hibernate

I did this so that I could get as low power as possible, and I have no need for the computer to do anything while sleeping (which is why I prefer S3). I started with a fully charged computer and closed the lid. 11.75 hours later I opened the lid and the battery remaining was around 28%. So that is about 6.1% per hour discharge rate, which is quite excessive. I did powercfg /sleepstudy and it shows Mobile Intel(R) Processor Family I/O PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18 (\_SB.PCI0.RP09) 100% active during that time.

Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby) [​IMG]

I look in device manager and it reports the device is working properly, there are no conflicts, the version is 10.1.1.45 with a date of 7/18/1968 (odd date!), and provider is INTEL. When I look on the Lenovo support page for my computer, the chipset driver version is shown as 10.1.18228.8176 (12/25/2019) and if you look in the ReadMe it says 10.1.1.45 (1/30/2018) is two versions back. So I am not sure why the Lenovo auto updater isn't installing this. I am not even sure what a PCI Express Root Port #9 is, so I am really at a loss to determine why it won't go to a low power state.

I have performed all of the updates using the Lenovo support page auto update and all Windows updates have been performed. One thing I noticed is that for this device in device manager, when I go to the drive tab and select driver details, it lists several files:

C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\nipbcfk.sys (National Instruments 3.0.0f0)
    C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\nipcibrd.sys (National Instruments 18.5.0f0)
    C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\nipxibrc.sys (National Instruments 17.3.0f0)
    C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\nischifk.sys (National Instruments 2.0.0.0f0)
    C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\pci.sys (Microsoft, 10.0.19041.1)

All but first one lists Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatibility as the Digital Signer. This laptop has a fair amount of National Instruments (LabView, etc) installed on it, so maybe that is what is causing the high power usage during sleep. I am considering uninstalling all of that. I really don't understand why so many driver files are listed in "Driver File Details", and why none of them are version 10.1.1.45 (the version reported in the Driver tab.

Thanks for any suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

I updated the chipset driver to the version 10.1.18228.8176 found on the Lenovo website (Device Manager now shows it as 10.1.5.2 for the Mobile Intel(R) Processor Family I/O PCI Express Root Port #9 - 9D18 device). This time I started with the battery at 100% and closed the lid for 3 hours and the battery lost just over 30%. So that is over 10% per hour. The report has a 1 hour session where the computer was active (not in sleep or hibernate) and it only used 14% in an hour.

lemmy999, May 4, 2021
  4. lemmy999 Win User

Yes, that is true, but I have heard of people getting decent drain rates in S0. I uninstalled all of the National Instruments software and also found that the Thunderbolt port (in Device Manager) had "allow this device to wake the computer" checked so I unchecked that. One of these seemed to solve the problem I had of it remaining awake during sleep.

During a previous period (posted above) it showed it active 100% of the time during sleep and it consumed an average of 2743mW (6.1% battery life per hour). I updated the drivers and did another sleep test and it consumed an average of 4570mW (10% battery life per hour). Both showed that device active 100% of the time during sleep. After the changes with the Thunderbolt port and removing the NI software, all of the "top 5 offenders" were green and showed 0% active time. Also it showed %Low Power State Time of SW:100% and HW: 98%. However the average power consumption was 1848mW (4% battery life per hour). I thought I had read that you could get better than this, but if everything is in a low power state and the network is disconnected, I am not sure I can get better.

Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby) [​IMG]

I am not happy with this amount of battery usage during sleep, but like you said, it is still on. Oddly enough when I had S3 sleep state enabled, the power consumption wasn't drastically lower than this. Maybe 2% per hour. I saw someone with the same laptop and driver version attain 327mW which is nearly 6x better than what I am seeing. I would be perfectly happy with that value. My sleepstudy shows that nothing is active, so I am not sure what is using all of the power.

I don't need instant on and would prefer to hibernate, but unfortunately the WiFi doesn't always work after resuming from that state.

lemmy999, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Excessive battery drain during S0 sleep (modern standby) - Similar Threads - Excessive battery drain

2. Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0: Hello,I bought a new laptop ASUS ExpertBook B5 Flip B5602F 16 inch, 4K, OLED. https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-work/expertbook/expertbook-b5-flip-b5602f-12th-gen-intel/Everything works fine but during Modern standby S0 battery is drained quickly - 5 % in the first 40 minutes...
  3. Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Battery drained by Intel SOC Subsystems in Modern standby S0: Hello,I bought a new laptop ASUS ExpertBook B5 Flip B5602F 16 inch, 4K, OLED. https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-work/expertbook/expertbook-b5-flip-b5602f-12th-gen-intel/Everything works fine but during Modern standby S0 battery is drained quickly - 5 % in the first 40 minutes...
  4. How to enable S3 Sleep State and Disable Modern Standby S0

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable S3 Sleep State and Disable Modern Standby S0: Hi, I am having alot of issues with modern standby i.e., S0. I would like to disable this & enable S3 i.e., the legacy sleep. I have checked that my laptop supports S3. It is only when S0 is enabled, S3 cannot be enabled. Can anyone help me how can I enable S3 and disable S0?...
  5. Battery draining generally and during sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery draining generally and during sleep: I have Huawei matebook book 14 i7 for 2 months nowThe laptop battery generally is draining more rapidly than it was before I could estimate that the battery drains after 6 hours only of activity with no video playback and it used to last longer than that, also the battery...
  6. Battery drain during sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery drain during sleep: Hello, I have a problem with my Microsoft Surface Pro 7 running on Windows 10 Home when closing the lid putting it in sleep mode, not hibernation. The problem seems to mainly appear after having it connected to an HDMI device/beamer. The laptop experiences a significant...
  7. S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    S0 Low Power Idle (Modern Standby) and wake from sleep: Powercfg /a tells that the only supported sleep state is S0 Low Power Idle. That is a very confusing thing, I could not find satisfactory information by googling. Is that sleep state supposed to arm keyboard/mouse wakeup the exact same way than S3? I see that if I force S3...
  8. Disabling apps from updating during modern sleep/standby? (Battery draining fast)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disabling apps from updating during modern sleep/standby? (Battery draining fast): I have a lenovo laptop and don't see the point of modern sleep, though I'm hesitant to disable it because I've read that enabling S3 sleep could cause freezing/problems and that it's still faster at waking instantly (or does this not matter with an SSD?). When the computer...
  9. Battery drain during sleep

Battery drain during sleep: I have a first gen Microsoft Surface Laptop, with the Core i5 and 8gb RAM. When I close the lid, putting it into sleep mode, the battery still drains quite a lot. For example, if I leave it in sleep over night, the battery can easily go down by 30% or more. During use, the...
  10. Excessive standby drain?

Excessive standby drain?: My new HP Spectre x360 (i7-7500U / 16GB RAM / 512GB SSD / Windows 10 Home x64) seems to lose a bit much in terms of battery life. Out of the box, it's set to stay in standby mode for 3 hours before hibernating. I have since changed it to just 60 minutes of standby before...