Windows 10: Excessive boot time and sporadic 'stalling' during normal operation

Discus and support Excessive boot time and sporadic 'stalling' during normal operation in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi I've a Sony Viao laptop i5-3230M, 8GB RAM which originally came with Win7 pre-installed. I took the plunge to upgrade to Windows 10 Home (currently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by furiousfingerz, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Excessive boot time and sporadic 'stalling' during normal operation

Hi
    I've a Sony Viao laptop i5-3230M, 8GB RAM which originally came with Win7 pre-installed. I took the plunge to upgrade to Windows 10 Home (currently version 1903 (OS Build 10.0.18362.900) whilst it was available. Since then, 'cold' boot times of > 10 mins are not unusual and once running, Windows periodically stalls for several seconds during which time applications freeze whilst the OS is busy doing something. I've updated drivers, disabled all non-essential applications on startup, disabled anti-virus software but nothing seems to make any difference.

One thing I have noticed is that Performance Monitor indicates a spike in HDD activity during the 'frozen' periods, and the processes appearing to be responsible are \System32 processes referencing wofcompresseddata. Some cursory investigation has revealed that updates like mine typically result in Windows running from compressed files, which therefore require 'dynamic' decompression to operate. I'm tempted therefore to decompress my \System32 folder to see if it improves performance (there is 500GB free on the HDD) but I'm anxious to hear of anyone's successfully done this, or would advise for/against giving it a try...

Many thanks

:)

furiousfingerz, Jun 22, 2020

2. Excessive boot time and sporadic 'stalling' during normal operation

Hi
    I've a Sony Viao laptop i5-3230M, 8GB RAM which originally came with Win7 pre-installed. I took the plunge to upgrade to Windows 10 Home (currently version 1903 (OS Build 10.0.18362.900) whilst it was available. Since then, 'cold' boot times of > 10 mins are not unusual and once running, Windows periodically stalls for several seconds during which time applications freeze whilst the OS is busy doing something. I've updated drivers, disabled all non-essential applications on startup, disabled anti-virus software but nothing seems to make any difference.

One thing I have noticed is that Performance Monitor indicates a spike in HDD activity during the 'frozen' periods, and the processes appearing to be responsible are \System32 processes referencing wofcompresseddata. Some cursory investigation has revealed that updates like mine typically result in Windows running from compressed files, which therefore require 'dynamic' decompression to operate. I'm tempted therefore to decompress my \System32 folder to see if it improves performance (there is 500GB free on the HDD) but I'm anxious to hear of anyone's successfully done this, or would advise for/against giving it a try...

Many thanks

furiousfingerz, Jun 22, 2020
  3. ram93 Win User
    laptop doesnt boot automatically

This is what happened.

1. Did a repair install and later disabled hibertnate in CMD.
    2. Enabled legacy option ROM in BIOS.
    3. After a few times startup ( i used the system in such mode for 5 days), changed boot option back to default.
    4. Vola!! It boots automatically to win10 without any keypress. Tested it with many starts to confirm the same.
    5. Re-enabled hibernate option using CMD and later selected Fast Startup.
    6. System booted normally, without the need for any keypress.

I do not know exactly whether such steps resolved the problem or what else happened, hence cannot suggest above steps.

Many thanks to all members who helped to troubleshoot problems.

ram93, Jun 22, 2020
  4. JonathanC Win User

Excessive boot time and sporadic 'stalling' during normal operation

Having issues with boot time on my gaming pc

I looked around online and can't seem to find anything other than the Safe Mode boot logging that is in windows itself.. Any suggestions for boot logging software ?

JonathanC, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

Excessive boot time and sporadic 'stalling' during normal operation

1. Excessive boot time and sporadic 'stalling' during normal operation - Similar Threads - Excessive boot sporadic

2. Computer just randomly powers during normal operation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer just randomly powers during normal operation.: As per the title, sometimes while using the computer it will just randomly computer power off as if the plug was pulled, then after a few seconds delay it will power on automatically and boot up as if nothing happened. It seems to happen quite irregularly maybe 1-2 per month,...
  3. Computer just randomly powers during normal operation.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer just randomly powers during normal operation.: As per the title, sometimes while using the computer it will just randomly computer power off as if the plug was pulled, then after a few seconds delay it will power on automatically and boot up as if nothing happened. It seems to happen quite irregularly maybe 1-2 per month,...
  4. 0xc1900101 - 0x20017 during boot Operation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0xc1900101 - 0x20017 during boot Operation: 1-My laptop hangs while installing Update 22h2 on Win10 Home the update error 0XC1900101 – 0x20017 in Windows10 home and only shows a black screen with MSI logo on reboot first reboot. When I power off and reboot, it says "failed to install updates" in the right corner. 2-The...
  5. Boot device inaccessible/lost during normal operations

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Boot device inaccessible/lost during normal operations: Laptop was running great HP Pro Book 450 G3. While on a web-site and hooking up HDMI for auxiliary display , the system crashed very odd. Now upon startup attempt, message reads 'inaccessible boot device'. Using any feature of the 'Automatic Repair' restart or advanced...
  6. Boot device inaccessible/lost during normal operations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boot device inaccessible/lost during normal operations: Laptop was running great HP Pro Book 450 G3. While on a web-site and hooking up HDMI for auxiliary display , the system crashed very odd. Now upon startup attempt, message reads 'inaccessible boot device'. Using any feature of the 'Automatic Repair' restart or advanced...
  7. Boot device inaccessible/lost during normal operations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Strange reboot during normal operation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Strange reboot during normal operation: On December 16th 2018, my wifes computer was running normally, we finished up playing a few hours of world of warcraft and went to bed. A few hours later when she got up in the middle of the night around 1 am her computer had restarted, but instead of showing her the normal...
  9. Occasional BSOD's during normal operation, various errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Occasional BSOD's during normal operation, various errors: Hello,I recently build a custom Windows 10 desktop PC and have been getting BSOD's with various error messages during normal operation (web browsing, MS Office use, gaming, etc). I've run Memtest86 with multiple (8+) passes without any errors to test the RAM. I've also run...
  10. Freezing During Normal Operation: Questions About Clean Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Freezing During Normal Operation: Questions About Clean Boot: Hi everyone, So I asked this question a while back but did not have much luck. I have tried a lot of things since then. The problem: my newly built PC is freezing during normal mode. It freezes when I do most things, but mainly while using the internet (videos, music,...