Windows 10: Excessive disk usage since update yesterday

Discus and support Excessive disk usage since update yesterday in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I seem to have excessive disk usage since yesterday. I restarted the computer ie. Restart; not just shut down and start and left it running all night... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by OssieMac, Mar 1, 2021.

1. OssieMac Win User

Excessive disk usage since update yesterday

I seem to have excessive disk usage since yesterday. I restarted the computer ie. Restart; not just shut down and start and left it running all night and this morning still the excessive disk usage.

See the Screen Shot below. Sometimes it gets up to 100% but rarely drops below 40%. It is quite common to have high disk usage for a short while after booting but it normally drops back to 6% - 8% when nothing else is running on the computer.

It is affecting the computer's performance so how can I identify or fix the problem.

Excessive disk usage since update yesterday ff443181-e17c-44ce-8add-5a31cd58f80f?upload=true.png

:)

OssieMac, Mar 1, 2021

2. Windows 10 Anniversary Update - excessive disk usage

I have recently updated my Laptop with the latest windows anniversary update and is now very slow to startup compared to before. Also for a significant time after starting, the computer is using excessive disk usage on system operations and background processes
    which makes it unusable for at least the first 5-10 mins.

After initial startup and sorting itself out, it still uses significant disk resources in the background for some time (I monitored for 30 minutes before giving up), not sure if it ever slows down or stops.

Why or what processes require this much usage that interferes with the performance of the computer that is not easily identifiable?

I have already turned off all p2p sharing, personalized and app settings and culled my startup programs to bare minimum that I use (Trendmicro, nividia update and internet data usage monitoring etc.), that was the first thing I did that made it actually
    possible to use the computer. It still uses 100% disk for a long time after startup so I cannot simply fire up the laptop (it is supposed to start from sleep ~2sec but is more like 5 min).

I have also disabled the 'superfetch' and 'Windows search' services through services.msc which also seemed to help somewhat.

I can't easily find any further clear information on other support posts or via google about this issue.

SNippets_BFree, Mar 1, 2021
  3. Off the chart (literally!) disk usage

Glenn, we would like to check if you are still experiencing a high disk usage on your end, if yes, we would like to ask if you can try to follow the steps below for as a workaround:

• Go to Start menu and select Settings
    • Select System
    • Select Notification & actions
    • Then turn off all notification and check if disk usage would still get a high usage.

Let us know how it goes.

Jarius Tol, Mar 1, 2021
  4. Excessive disk usage since update yesterday

Windows 10 Anniversary Update - excessive disk usage

Hi Dennis,

Thank you for your suggestions, however regarding Sangeeta's answer, I have had Trend Micro software operating for many years and have not been infected with a virus or malware. I have scanned and do not have any viruses or abnormal software behavior (other
    than the 100% disk usage).

The suggestion to repair or reinstall windows 10 using the iso file is not a reasonable solution at this time and I will not undertake such an action to 'check and see if this works'. That suggestion should only be used as a last resort, it may not work
    and is a bit extreme?

The second link for Ruth's tips I have already performed.

At present the general performance of the computer operation after 15 to 20 mins of starting has improved somewhat and back to what I consider 'normal', after disabling the various services and 'personalisation apps'.

However it is still slow to startup and even when at the desktop, still is not properly usable until the 100% disk usage either stops or slows down enough to allow other actions.

I would appreciate any other feedback and can post further, detailed info if it will promote other suggestions.

SNippets_BFree, Mar 1, 2021
Thema:

Excessive disk usage since update yesterday

1. Excessive disk usage since update yesterday - Similar Threads - Excessive disk usage

2. Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam: My HD is being consumed by Steam, it is using 253 GB out of 465 GB total, I might only have 157 GB worth of applications, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-253-gb-disk-usage-by-steam/24fe38a0-ca49-4241-87ab-aadd79ada742
  3. Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excessive 253 GB Disk Usage by Steam: My HD is being consumed by Steam, it is using 253 GB out of 465 GB total, I might only have 157 GB worth of applications, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-253-gb-disk-usage-by-steam/24fe38a0-ca49-4241-87ab-aadd79ada742
  4. Excessive GPU usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive GPU usage: The solitaire from microsoft started to use EXCESSIVE gpu usage from 50 - 90%. I am thinking that it's a virus but i am not sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-gpu-usage/29ef51da-89ba-4f5b-a3a2-4de0d791f873
  5. Excessive GPU usage

Excessive GPU usage: The solitaire from microsoft started to use EXCESSIVE gpu usage from 50 - 90%. I am thinking that it's a virus but i am not sure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excessive-gpu-usage/29ef51da-89ba-4f5b-a3a2-4de0d791f873
  6. Excessive memory usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Excessive memory usage: How can Windows use so much memory and not have a way to clean it? When I installed it, the system didn't take up that much, I left the SDD only for the system and the HD for my programs, today I opened a guide on the Microsoft website to clean the C: disk, but there are...
  7. Excessive memory usage

Excessive memory usage: How can Windows use so much memory and not have a way to clean it? When I installed it, the system didn't take up that much, I left the SDD only for the system and the HD for my programs, today I opened a guide on the Microsoft website to clean the C: disk, but there are...
  8. Excessive CPU Usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Excessive CPU Usage: I have a hard time running programs because its always lagging. Even if I run a single tab. Even if I run a single program. And even when it's idle on the desktop screen with no running programs. It always seems to use like near 50% of CPU then goes to 100%. I always kill...
  9. MsMpEng.exe excessive disk usage problem.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MsMpEng.exe excessive disk usage problem.: I have a problem, when I start my computer the HD runs continuously to the point where nothing else can execute. This goes on for about 15 minutes and then everything is normal. Process Explorer seems to indicate that two apps (MsMpEng.exe and svchost.exe) are doing all the...
  10. Excessive bandwidth usage since installing Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excessive bandwidth usage since installing Windows 10 Pro: I am a pensioner who has a special telephone/internet package for those of us on limited incomes. This package only allows 10GB of bandwith usage per month after which we have to pay £5.50 for each block of 5GB over the 10GB limit. When I was using Windows 7 Pro my average...