Windows 10: Exclude a folder within my documents area from OneDrive

Discus and support Exclude a folder within my documents area from OneDrive in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi there,I started using OneDrive to backup my documents and I have encountered some issues, both caused by the same problem: - An application I use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by AJP_850, Jun 28, 2021.

1. AJP_850 Win User

Exclude a folder within my documents area from OneDrive

Hi there,I started using OneDrive to backup my documents and I have encountered some issues, both caused by the same problem: - An application I use stores a lot of binary files in the OneDrive area. They are not really documents, the designers just decided to put them there. As a developer myself, I'd say that's a questionably design decision, but it's not my design and I can't change it. This directory is huge, and when OneDrive moved the folder to its area, the application broke. It's possible I may be able to fix this with a reinstall, but ideally, I'd just like OneDrive to ignore tha

:)

AJP_850, Jun 28, 2021

2. Why I have TWO Documents folders?

ok so lemme start off my saying i recently wiped my system and installed windows 10
    and i noticed even more recently that i seem to have TWO documents folders...
    i have one that has nothing that it should in it and the other somehow is linked to Onedrive...
    the onedrive linked one has everything that the non onedrive should. (game saves, etc)
    my question is...why? is this normal cause i can't imagine it is...
    i don't think steam game save cloud will work with onedrive so i need to know, is this fixable WITHOUT another wipe? i have no idea how my onedrive got synced with my documents folder. i didn't set it up that way. any help is appreciated!
    thanks!

TheMatt1984, Jun 28, 2021
  3. TarAn_D Win User
    Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, Jun 28, 2021
  4. Exclude a folder within my documents area from OneDrive

Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jun 28, 2021
Thema:

Exclude a folder within my documents area from OneDrive

1. Exclude a folder within my documents area from OneDrive - Similar Threads - Exclude folder within

2. Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup: Hi, as a gamer I have several files stored within the My Documents/My Games directory, these are not required for backup but are needed on local. In previous versions of one drive, such as that answered here...
  3. Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup: Hi, as a gamer I have several files stored within the My Documents/My Games directory, these are not required for backup but are needed on local. In previous versions of one drive, such as that answered here...
  4. Exclude Folder from Onedrive backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Onedrive: exclude sub-folders from backup to Onedrive cloud

Onedrive: exclude sub-folders from backup to Onedrive cloud: Hello,I don't know how, but after my Onedrive App stopped working I had to reinstall the newest version of it manually.And that's the point where the problems are starting, like before I wanted to setup the backup of my document-files I'll use this term to avoid confusion...
  6. Onedrive: exclude sub-folders from backup to Onedrive cloud

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Onedrive: exclude sub-folders from backup to Onedrive cloud: Hello,I don't know how, but after my Onedrive App stopped working I had to reinstall the newest version of it manually.And that's the point where the problems are starting, like before I wanted to setup the backup of my document-files I'll use this term to avoid confusion...
  7. Onedrive: exclude sub-folders from backup to Onedrive cloud

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. How to unlink, exclude or remove a folder from OneDrive

in Windows 10 News
    How to unlink, exclude or remove a folder from OneDrive: [ATTACH]If you do not want the Desktop, Documents, or Pictures folder to be synced to your OneDrive account, there’s a simple way to unlink, exclude or remove a folder from OneDrive. This post walks you through the necessary steps to complete the process in a hassle-free...
  9. Unlink my Documents folder from OneDrive

Unlink my Documents folder from OneDrive: I recently reinstalled Windows and installed OneDrive, but did not launch it until yesterday. When I did I noticed that a large number of files were uploading - these were saved games, config files etc. from games saved in my Documents folder. As far as I have been able to...
  10. OneDrive subfolder within My Documents folder with same files again.

OneDrive subfolder within My Documents folder with same files again.: File Explorer tree shows blue OneDrive folder w/ std folders; Downloads, My Documents, Pictures, etc. However, within My Document folder there is ANOTHER OneDrive folder w/ what appears many of the same files. Comparing the hundreds of folders would take forever. What's...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. onedrive exclude desktop