Windows 10: Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search

Discus and support Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The old file manager allowed for many conditions. One was if you were looking for a word, you could exclude other words. For instance, if I wanted to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LindaLawson-Bruton, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search

The old file manager allowed for many conditions. One was if you were looking for a word, you could exclude other words. For instance, if I wanted to search for 'Flower' but I did not want any results that had 'Daisy' in it, I would put 'Daisy' as an exception and the results would show everything else with 'Flower' except 'Daisy'.

Can I identify exclusions in a Windows 10 File Manager search?

:)

LindaLawson-Bruton, Jan 7, 2020
  2. Edwin Win User

Exclude "file type" from search

In Advanced Indexing Options uncheck to exclude .word file types if listed

Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search [​IMG]

Edwin, Jan 7, 2020
  3. Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone

Hi Greg and thanks a bunch for answering me. In the Search then Search Windows of settings like I said there was a list of "Excluded Folders" I'm guessing a Windows Search would not search/look in those folders when searching for something in Windows. I
    can only guess they were set up as Excluded Folders by HP or the HP Laptop seller to me. I'm sure there must have been a good reason for those Excluded Folders and I should have never removed or deleted those folders. I noticed when I removed all of the excluded
    folders from Windows Search in Settings that a box popped up and the index numbers started to rise in count really really quick. So I paused indexing. I was afraid the index number would go from about (I can't remember) 20,000 to hundreds of thousands of an
    index number. which I think would really slow a Windows Search down even though I don't know what those index numbers stand for exactly. I'm guessing the index numbers stand for files, folders or both. As the article, your URL took me to on how to rebuild
    your index shows I'm not sure that would help me. When done rebuilding the index, would there be a new list of Excluded Folders in Windows Search? Because that's what I want. I'm sure HP knew exactly what folders to exclude and why. Is there a way to just
    undo my mistake of removing the original list of excluded folders? Like roll back to early yesterday morning and have the exact same list of excluded folders there were then? Or would following the steps of the article and rebuilding my Windows Search Index
    give me a new list of Excluded Folders in the Windows Search?

Respectfully,

Barry

BARRY G.VARGUS Sr., Jan 7, 2020
  4. enso Win User

Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search

Exclude "file type" from search

I do not want to exclude extensions of .doc, .docx, etc. I want them, and I want all of those that have somewhere inside the file the word "word". A search for the word "word" matches every Microsoft Word document, even ones that do not contain "word" within them. The search is matching on the file type. I can find no syntax to exclude searching on the file type field and search only the contents of the files.

enso, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search

1. Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search - Similar Threads - Exclude word File

2. Windows search excluding some file types?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search excluding some file types?: Ever since the most recent update Windows search is not returning any of my Guitar Pro file types. gp3, gp4, gp5, etc... It had been working fine. Rebuilding the search index doesn't fix it. I checked in advanced options and they are not excluded. Strangely when I first...
  3. Windows search excluding some file types?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search excluding some file types?: Ever since the most recent update Windows search is not returning any of my Guitar Pro file types. gp3, gp4, gp5, etc... It had been working fine. Rebuilding the search index doesn't fix it. I checked in advanced options and they are not excluded. Strangely when I first...
  4. Windows 10 AppData excluded from search index

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 AppData excluded from search index: Hi all. Zoom has installed itself in my AppData folder. When I try to search "zoom" in my start menu, nothing appears. I fiddled with search indexing but it seems AppData is excluded. I don't want to have a shortcut on my desktop, so how can I get Zoom to show up in search...
  5. Excluding folders in Windows Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Excluding folders in Windows Search: Hi, I'd like to set Windows Search so that the search only searches within the user's C:\Users folder. Alternatively, I'd be happy if the Search searched the whole PC, but excluded the ability to search within other users' folders. I tried setting the Find My Files setting...
  6. exclude drive / directory from windows search

in Cortana
    exclude drive / directory from windows search: I am a photographer, I have photos that date back roughly 10+ years or so stored on 7 to 8 hard drives. I am trying to locate photos from a certain month but need to exclude 2 directories on 2 of the hard drives from the search. The search term that I am using at the moment...
  7. File Explorer will no longer search for words in files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer will no longer search for words in files: I had automatic updates on, but clearly the computer didn't automatically update. File explorer is no longer finding words in files. I've processed all the updates from January to now, but File Explorer search is still broken. I really need that search to work to be able to...
  8. Excluding update for Word 2016 - Windows 10 Creators Update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Excluding update for Word 2016 - Windows 10 Creators Update: Hi, there is problematic Update for Microsoft Word 2016 (KB4011039). Is there a way of blocking its installation having uninstalled it? Update causes problems with text in merged cells which can be very annoying. Thx in advance. 94621
  9. Exclude "file type" from search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude "file type" from search: I need to find all the files that contain the word "word" in them. When I try to search in File Explorer, I get all the files that are Microsoft Word files. How do I search for matches on only content within the file? I need to find all the files that contain the word...
  10. Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association: When I use the left hand side search and click on results other than 'web', a word document is opened! How do I reset the correct app association for this action/file type. Thank you in advance 15570

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file manager word

2. exclude files in search windows 10

3. how to exclude a spelling in windows 10 search