Windows 10: exclude drive / directory from windows search

Discus and support exclude drive / directory from windows search in Cortana to solve the problem; I am a photographer, I have photos that date back roughly 10+ years or so stored on 7 to 8 hard drives. I am trying to locate photos from a certain... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by ColdComms, Jan 14, 2020.

1. ColdComms Win User

exclude drive / directory from windows search

I am a photographer, I have photos that date back roughly 10+ years or so stored on 7 to 8 hard drives. I am trying to locate photos from a certain month but need to exclude 2 directories on 2 of the hard drives from the search.

The search term that I am using at the moment looks like "*DSC*.* -folder:"Photo Shoots" datemodified:‎6/‎1/‎2017 .. ‎6/‎17/‎2017"

So far, this hasn't worked. I have 2 hard drives with folders called "Photo Shoots", I need the search parameter to ignore these 2 folders for this particular search as the photos I need are not in these directories.

Does anyone know what the search string would look like to accomplish this?

:)

ColdComms, Jan 14, 2020

2. Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone

Hi Greg and thanks a bunch for answering me. In the Search then Search Windows of settings like I said there was a list of "Excluded Folders" I'm guessing a Windows Search would not search/look in those folders when searching for something in Windows. I
    can only guess they were set up as Excluded Folders by HP or the HP Laptop seller to me. I'm sure there must have been a good reason for those Excluded Folders and I should have never removed or deleted those folders. I noticed when I removed all of the excluded
    folders from Windows Search in Settings that a box popped up and the index numbers started to rise in count really really quick. So I paused indexing. I was afraid the index number would go from about (I can't remember) 20,000 to hundreds of thousands of an
    index number. which I think would really slow a Windows Search down even though I don't know what those index numbers stand for exactly. I'm guessing the index numbers stand for files, folders or both. As the article, your URL took me to on how to rebuild
    your index shows I'm not sure that would help me. When done rebuilding the index, would there be a new list of Excluded Folders in Windows Search? Because that's what I want. I'm sure HP knew exactly what folders to exclude and why. Is there a way to just
    undo my mistake of removing the original list of excluded folders? Like roll back to early yesterday morning and have the exact same list of excluded folders there were then? Or would following the steps of the article and rebuilding my Windows Search Index
    give me a new list of Excluded Folders in the Windows Search?

Respectfully,

Barry

BARRY G.VARGUS Sr., Jan 14, 2020
  3. My new Windows 10 " Search" excludes the C: drive.

My new Windows 10 " Search" excludes the C: drive. How to search C:?

ChristerFosseus, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Clock404 Win User

Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

Hello,

My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list.
    The issue persists ever after rebuilding the index. How can I fix this?

Clock404, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

1. exclude drive / directory from windows search - Similar Threads - exclude drive directory

2. Failing at Privacy & security Searching Windows > Exclude folders from enhanced search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failing at Privacy & security Searching Windows > Exclude folders from enhanced search: Hi,I'm trying to remove folders from the "Exclude folders from enhanced search" and its all the time closes the window and crashes.I checked the event viewer and noticed the failure but don't know how to figure it out....
  3. Exclude Hard Drive From Windows Security

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Exclude Hard Drive From Windows Security: Hello,I have a backup hard drive installed in my PC. Windows Security keeps waking the drive up periodically so I added the drive to the exclusions list to prevent this. The exclusions list does not specifically state that a drive can be added only files, folders, file types...
  4. Exclude Hard Drive From Windows Security

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exclude Hard Drive From Windows Security: Hello,I have a backup hard drive installed in my PC. Windows Security keeps waking the drive up periodically so I added the drive to the exclusions list to prevent this. The exclusions list does not specifically state that a drive can be added only files, folders, file types...
  5. Exclude Hard Drive From Windows Security

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 AppData excluded from search index

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 AppData excluded from search index: Hi all. Zoom has installed itself in my AppData folder. When I try to search "zoom" in my start menu, nothing appears. I fiddled with search indexing but it seems AppData is excluded. I don't want to have a shortcut on my desktop, so how can I get Zoom to show up in search...
  7. Exclude web from local searches?

Exclude web from local searches?: When I search for "sourdough" in the lower left field next to the Windows button, I'm hoping to get results of documents or images with the keyword "sourdough" in the title or contents. Instead, most of the results are web pages about sourdough. Can I configure the Windows...
  8. Windows search excludes directories (especially those that contain a .git folder) by itself.

Windows search excludes directories (especially those that contain a .git folder) by itself.: Problem described above. However, I couldnt find a solution to this anywhere. so anyone here maybe got a solution to this? submitted by /u/Xeadriel [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/knpsk5/windows_search_excludes_directories_especially/
  9. Excluding folders in Windows Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Excluding folders in Windows Search: Hi, I'd like to set Windows Search so that the search only searches within the user's C:\Users folder. Alternatively, I'd be happy if the Search searched the whole PC, but excluded the ability to search within other users' folders. I tried setting the Find My Files setting...
  10. Exclude "file type" from search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude "file type" from search: I need to find all the files that contain the word "word" in them. When I try to search in File Explorer, I get all the files that are Microsoft Word files. How do I search for matches on only content within the file? I need to find all the files that contain the word...