Windows 10: Exclude "file type" from search

Discus and support Exclude "file type" from search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, in file explorer try e.g. content:doc to find files containing doc but not files of type doc or docx. Exactly. To search for files... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by enso, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Kari Win User

Exclude "file type" from search

Exactly.

To search for files containing string word, simply search for content:word. To search for files containing both strings word and doc, search for content:word AND content:doc.

To search for files where string word is either in file name or file content excluding documents with extension starting with .doc, search for word NOT ext:doc.

Notice that logical operators AND, OR, NOT must be in upper case. If written in lower case, they will be taken as strings you are searching for instead of logical operators. They can be combined, for instance searching for files containing either the string word or the string doc but excluding those files created last year, search for content:word OR content:doc NOT datecreated:2016.

2. enso Win User

Ah, thank you! *Party

This performed the search I wanted:
    content:word AND (ext:doc OR ext:docx)

Is there a web page that lists the limiters ('content', 'ext', and so on)?

How unhelpful for File Explorer help to not have this, or at least not make it easier to find.

3. Kari Win User
    ext:doc OR ext:docx is unnecessary, ext:doc already covers all extensions with three or more characters starting with doc.

As David mantioned in post #4, this tutorial although made for Windows 7 is still mostly valid: Search - Find More with Filters and Operators - Windows 7 Help Forums

4. enso Win User

I took a look at that link, but it does not contain the filter that was crucial to my question: content

If anyone knows of an even more complete list, please share the link.

5. dalchina New Member
    I mentioned this above by name, which covers a lot of ground, and commented on the apparent omission and need for something more recent:
    Advanced Query Syntax (Windows)

However, I do think that not having an intuitive GUI based search and using something akin to a command line syntax, means using search more fully is restricted to the minority of users. Only if you have an exceptional memory or frequently use such syntax is this readily available to you as a useful tool.

dalchina, Aug 20, 2017
  6. Stevekir Win User
    Werby: Could you please tell me the name of the annotation/markup software you used in the above post. I used this until a crash a few months ago and have lost it and its name.

Thanks.

Stevekir, Aug 21, 2017
  7. werby Win User
    Hello Stevekir,

It's "FastStone Capture" (not free).

werby, Aug 21, 2017
  8. Stevekir Win User

Er, no. Not that. That is a utility for capturing parts of a screen. The utility I am looking for is the one you used in your posted image to identify and emphasise several items on a captured web page. That is, the utility you used to create the red oval and arrow and the red circles on your web page, as follows.

Exclude "file type" from search [​IMG]

When I last used that utility it allowed me to draw such things on an image of a web page, to draw attention to them in, eg., a tutorial. It offers several different objects including different sizes of arrows, all with a choice of colour.

The name of that utility is what I am looking for.

Thanks.

Stevekir, Aug 21, 2017
  9. Kari Win User
    I am 100% sure that's what Werby meant, that is a feature in screen capture tools. For instance I use Screenpresso, also available as free version to make screenshots like this:

All screenshots in my posts and my tutorials are made and annotated with Screenpresso

10. Stevekir Win User
    YES. At last. That's it. A very useful software.

Many thanks.

Stevekir, Aug 22, 2017
  11. Kari Win User
    Did you understand my point? That Werby not only made the screenshots with FastStone Capture, but also annotated them with the same program? All screenshot tools have the annotation feature built-in, some more extensive than others but you can annotate your screenshots with every screenshot tool.

12. Stevekir Win User
    Thanks. I didn't know that. And I had forgotten that Screenpresso could also capture screens. But I am happy now to have Screenpresso, which does just what and how I like.

Stevekir, Aug 22, 2017
  13. werby Win User

Me too...*092

werby, Aug 22, 2017
  14. Fafhrd Win User
    I quite agree with your comments. What spoilt Windows 7 for me (having avoided Vista) was this backwards step in GUI functionality, compared with Rover's point and click search filters in Windows XP, (as well as the removal of *context-sensitive rich help.)

Who was the team leader in the re-design of the Windows 7 Search feature? Our old friend Dona Sarkar: Dona Sarkar | Microsoft Story Labs *Sad

*I know the arguments against this - let's not kick over the ashes here. Can't read older *.hlp files on Windows-10 Solved - Windows 10 Forums - We know the real reason - NinjaCats hate dogs that move faster than they can!

Fafhrd, Aug 22, 2017
  15. Try3 Win User
    enso,

If you want a search utility that has a GUI [so you don't have to study advanced query syntax] then NirSoft's SearchMyFiles fits the bill.

Denis

Thema:

1. Exclude "file type" from search - Similar Threads - Exclude file type

2. Windows search excluding some file types?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search excluding some file types?: Ever since the most recent update Windows search is not returning any of my Guitar Pro file types. gp3, gp4, gp5, etc... It had been working fine. Rebuilding the search index doesn't fix it. I checked in advanced options and they are not excluded. Strangely when I first...
  3. Windows search excluding some file types?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search excluding some file types?: Ever since the most recent update Windows search is not returning any of my Guitar Pro file types. gp3, gp4, gp5, etc... It had been working fine. Rebuilding the search index doesn't fix it. I checked in advanced options and they are not excluded. Strangely when I first...
  4. Files excluded from sync

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  5. Files excluded from sync

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files excluded from sync: Hi,I have some audio files that will not open anymore. It says under the "status" colomn that the files are "excluded from sync". What does this mean? And how do I get my audio files to play again?Thanks....
  6. Exclude web from local searches?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Exclude web from local searches?: When I search for "sourdough" in the lower left field next to the Windows button, I'm hoping to get results of documents or images with the keyword "sourdough" in the title or contents. Instead, most of the results are web pages about sourdough. Can I configure the Windows...
  7. Exclude specific network folders from a network search

in Windows 10 Support
    Exclude specific network folders from a network search: Hi, I'm currently on Windows 10 Home 1909 and am wondering how do I exclude specific network folders when I'm frequently doing a search on a networked drive? The drive isn't mapped, just added as a network location shortcut in "This PC". Thanks. 154147
  8. exclude drive / directory from windows search

in Cortana
    exclude drive / directory from windows search: I am a photographer, I have photos that date back roughly 10+ years or so stored on 7 to 8 hard drives. I am trying to locate photos from a certain month but need to exclude 2 directories on 2 of the hard drives from the search. The search term that I am using at the moment...
  9. which file types to exclude from AV scans?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    which file types to exclude from AV scans?: I use NIS (free with Comcast). I have several TB of total files on my system and I would like to exclude file types can can be excluded safely. As an example, I do a lot of photography, so I want to exclude NEF (RAW file created by Nikon cameras) and PSD (file type created...
  10. File type search?

in Windows 10 Support
    File type search?: Does anyone know of a way to search an entire computer for instances of a specific type of file? For example, Microsoft Word Document (.doc). I may know that I created a Word doc about something a long while ago e.g. a year, but I don’t remember the name of it, and where I...