Windows 10: Excluding folders in Windows Search

Discus and support Excluding folders in Windows Search in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I'd like to set Windows Search so that the search only searches within the user's C:\Users folder. Alternatively, I'd be happy if the Search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zaarin2003, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Excluding folders in Windows Search

Hi,

I'd like to set Windows Search so that the search only searches within the user's C:\Users folder. Alternatively, I'd be happy if the Search searched the whole PC, but excluded the ability to search within other users' folders.

I tried setting the Find My Files setting to Enhanced and added everyone else's User folder to the excluded list. However, exactly the same excluded folder list appears within each user's own Windows, which is clearly not what I need. Each user needs a different set of folders excluded from Search. I just can't figure out how to do this.

Is anyone able to help please?

Thanks

M

Windows 10 version 1909

:)

zaarin2003, Jul 18, 2020

2. Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone

Hi Greg and thanks a bunch for answering me. In the Search then Search Windows of settings like I said there was a list of "Excluded Folders" I'm guessing a Windows Search would not search/look in those folders when searching for something in Windows. I
    can only guess they were set up as Excluded Folders by HP or the HP Laptop seller to me. I'm sure there must have been a good reason for those Excluded Folders and I should have never removed or deleted those folders. I noticed when I removed all of the excluded
    folders from Windows Search in Settings that a box popped up and the index numbers started to rise in count really really quick. So I paused indexing. I was afraid the index number would go from about (I can't remember) 20,000 to hundreds of thousands of an
    index number. which I think would really slow a Windows Search down even though I don't know what those index numbers stand for exactly. I'm guessing the index numbers stand for files, folders or both. As the article, your URL took me to on how to rebuild
    your index shows I'm not sure that would help me. When done rebuilding the index, would there be a new list of Excluded Folders in Windows Search? Because that's what I want. I'm sure HP knew exactly what folders to exclude and why. Is there a way to just
    undo my mistake of removing the original list of excluded folders? Like roll back to early yesterday morning and have the exact same list of excluded folders there were then? Or would following the steps of the article and rebuilding my Windows Search Index
    give me a new list of Excluded Folders in the Windows Search?

Respectfully,

Barry

BARRY G.VARGUS Sr., Jul 18, 2020
  3. Clock404 Win User
    Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

Hello,

My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list.
    The issue persists ever after rebuilding the index. How can I fix this?

Clock404, Jul 18, 2020
  4. Excluding folders in Windows Search

Searching Windows - Find my Files - Excluded Folders - Please HELP someone

Can I re-add my excluded folders I deleted in Searching Windows?

Earlier today for some reason I open settings and found myself on the Search - Searching Windows. Then I saw the Classic button (circle) checked. Then below that, it read Excluded Folders with a small list of I guess you would call them pathways to Folders.
    I ended up without asking somebody I know with the proper knowledge or even this community, deleting all of the Excluded Folders. Because I thought to myself "what's the sense of searching something and not checking all your folders, you might not find something
    you're searching for if it's in an Excluded Folder". Then after seeing the indexing numbers start to double and keep on adding numbers I thought about it again saying it will take forever Searching Windows with these type of numbers, (even though I don't know
    exactly what those numbers represent). Also, the manufacturer or HP might have excluded these folders on purpose for a good reason. I never excluded any folders but I now badly want that list of Excluded Folders put back up on the Searching Windows page in
    settings.

So long story a little shorter does anybody out there know how I can best undo my actions of deleting my Excluded Folders. Is there hopefully some kind of easy to understand the way of getting back my same exact Excluded Folders that were listed this morning?

Respectfully,

Barry

BARRY G.VARGUS Sr., Jul 18, 2020
Thema:

Excluding folders in Windows Search

1. Excluding folders in Windows Search - Similar Threads - Excluding folders Search

2. Failing at Privacy & security Searching Windows > Exclude folders from enhanced search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failing at Privacy & security Searching Windows > Exclude folders from enhanced search: Hi,I'm trying to remove folders from the "Exclude folders from enhanced search" and its all the time closes the window and crashes.I checked the event viewer and noticed the failure but don't know how to figure it out....
  3. Failing at Privacy & security Searching Windows > Exclude folders from enhanced search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failing at Privacy & security Searching Windows > Exclude folders from enhanced search: Hi,I'm trying to remove folders from the "Exclude folders from enhanced search" and its all the time closes the window and crashes.I checked the event viewer and noticed the failure but don't know how to figure it out....
  4. Is it possible to find a list of the folders excluded from Windows search

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is it possible to find a list of the folders excluded from Windows search: I know how to get to the 'Searching Windows' area where I can add excluded folders, but I want to remove a couple of the excluded folders. The problem is - you can't see the full name of the folders with long names.\I need to see the rest of the file name after the three...
  5. Is it possible to find a list of the folders excluded from Windows search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to find a list of the folders excluded from Windows search: I know how to get to the 'Searching Windows' area where I can add excluded folders, but I want to remove a couple of the excluded folders. The problem is - you can't see the full name of the folders with long names.\I need to see the rest of the file name after the three...
  6. Is it possible to find a list of the folders excluded from Windows search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

in Cortana
    Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  8. Exclude Folder.

Exclude Folder.: Hey guys, I have a folder in my Windoes 10 Explorer that I want to exclude from media scanning, so it won't appear in anywhere except Explorer. Does anybody know how to make the equivalent of .NOMEDIA folder like the one in Android. Thank you very much....
  9. Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded

Windows indexing is not excluding folders that are excluded: Hello, My Windows start menu Windows search is showing results from the AppData folder despite the AppData folder being set as an excluded folder. My Windows 10 "Searching Windows" setting is set to classic and the excluded folder is clearly shown on the list. The issue...
  10. Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10: How to: Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10 How to Add or Remove Excluded Folders for Search Indexer in Windows 10 Indexing the content of your PC helps you get faster results when your searching it for files, emails, or other local content....