Windows 10: exe. files and installation packages cannot be

Discus and support exe. files and installation packages cannot be in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; greetings dear community, two days ago, I got myself a new laptop for gaming. this is not a brand new laptop, but a second hand one like new. so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by yacinemokri1, Jun 8, 2020.

1. exe. files and installation packages cannot be

greetings dear community,

two days ago, I got myself a new laptop for gaming. this is not a brand new laptop, but a second hand one like new. so later I tried to install bitdefender total security on it. it would download fully, but everytime it tries to decompress the package to install it, it would show an error message. I tried some tricks like disabling all windows defender utilities, ticking "unlock" in properties, launch as admin...nothing worked.

after that, I tried several things, and I noticed that if it's a proper setup file ".exe" that I'd download directly as is, it would install or execute without problems. However, if it's a .rar file, or some other time of compressed file, I can still extract the other files, but the .exe file will fail to extract and show a corrupted file pop up window.

I really do not know what's wrong with this system, this is the first time I come across such an issue, could anyone help me please?

thank you in advance,

Yacine

ps: sorry if I posted in the wrong section

:)

yacinemokri1, Jun 8, 2020

2. Windows Installer Error: This installation package cannot be opened.

Hi AJ,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help you answer your query.

The above error can occur if the locally cached Windows Installer package (*.msi) file is damaged or corrupted.

To rectify the above, I suggest that you try the steps mentioned below and check if you are able to install the software successfully.

• Open the \Windows\Installer folder on your computer's hard disk.
    • Right-click any file with an .msi extension.
    • Click Properties on the shortcut menu. The
      Subject
      box on the Summary tab contains the name of the product that installed the .msi file.
    • Repeat steps 2 and 3 for each .msi file in the \Installer folder, and delete the .msi file for the software that you are trying to install.

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Jun 8, 2020
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Can't run .exe file

Hi Phil,

There are several reasons why you are having issues running .exe files on your Windows 10 laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the error message that you received when running .exe files?

Regards.

Eric Ber, Jun 8, 2020
  4. exe. files and installation packages cannot be

Relevance of driver installation package files?

As the years went by and you no longer had to manually update video card drivers via adding an .inf file in Windows, driver packages have a self extraction > installation method.

With Nvidia, you extract the files somewhere and then run the setup. I've always gone back after installation, and removed those extracted files.

It hasn't ever seemed to be a problem, yet it got me curious. Are those supposed to stay on your harddisk or are they strictly for the installation only?

newconroer, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

exe. files and installation packages cannot be

1. exe. files and installation packages cannot be - Similar Threads - exe files installation

2. Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bitHello:I want to update the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. Nvidia installs a lot of extra stuff that I don't want or need, so I want just the drivers. I followed instructions in a tutorial...
  3. Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bitHello:I want to update the drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. Nvidia installs a lot of extra stuff that I don't want or need, so I want just the drivers. I followed instructions in a tutorial...
  4. Extracting hardware drivers from an .exe installer package

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Install .exe app with Provision package

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install .exe app with Provision package: Hi,Has anyone had success using provisioning package to install .exe application before? It seems to work with .msi apps but never or so with .exe. Any suggestion would help!!Thank you so much, Alan...
  6. Cannot download .exe files

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot download .exe files: Greetings everyone, I'm having an issue with my Windows 10 installation : Windows is blocking every .exe file download. All the solutions I've found consisted in updating the internet options... Thus, I am joining a screenshot of my internet options + Windows defender...
  7. msi package cannot be installed

msi package cannot be installed: When I try to install any msi-based program (in my case VirtualBox but also 7zip) I get following error messages: "the system could not open the specified device or file." and then "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a...
  8. Cannot Run An .Exe file

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Run An .Exe file: I've got maybe two problems: . I put the .exe file folder in the system path but still get a 'file not found' error when it is called from another prog. and that should have been foolproof because I used the 'browse' thing. So that's maybe a problem with the path thing. ....
  9. Cannot install a downloaded .exe file

Cannot install a downloaded .exe file: I have a bizarre situation where I download a program from a website and the setup .exe file appears correctly in the Download folder. When I double-click the .exe file to install it, it disappears from the Download folder. Is there an issue with my Windows 10 registry? I...
  10. Add .exe or .msi packages to be installed (Windows ICD)

Add .exe or .msi packages to be installed (Windows ICD): Forgive me if I sound totally stupid for asking this but how do I use ICD to add apps such as MS Office 365, Chrome etc using Windows ICD because I can't find anything on search engines and the only option I can see allows .appx files and app bundles only. Please point me...