Windows 10: .exe files not starting correctly - "Windows Installer" starts

Discus and support .exe files not starting correctly - "Windows Installer" starts in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Spent yesterday trying to get Win 10 v. 2004 working. Finally gave up & reverted to v. 1909. Everything seems to work, except for a couple of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by DaveCorio, Jun 18, 2020.

1. DaveCorio Win User

.exe files not starting correctly - "Windows Installer" starts

Spent yesterday trying to get Win 10 v. 2004 working. Finally gave up & reverted to v. 1909. Everything seems to work, except for a couple of applications that don't start - instead a "Windows Installer" window opens with the message "Preparing to install", while the hourglass shows it as not accessible. Pressing the "Cancel" button results in the message "Cancelling", but it stays there until closed by using "End Task".

This is happening with two files, both .exe files, that were working perfectly prior to the 2004 upgrade attempt. I believe it has something to do with Default Apps assignments, but have tries resetting Default Apps to their original state, but it does not fix the problem.

Many other .exe apps, including others in the same directory/subdirectory, open as they should., so I am at a loss as to how to proceed. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

:)

DaveCorio, Jun 18, 2020
  2. prarial Win User

Impossible to starts some exe files!

hello everyone,

I need help as I have tried all of what i have found in this and other forums, whitout any success.
    Since a week icant start some exe files and i dont know why only some!
    i have appleied what was described in Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials ,
    but no better results.
    I have scanned my laptop for virus or malwares, and its clean.
    for example i want start Acronis, then win10 say cant find the file even so i try to start it directly from the exe file!
    same if i want to start ACDSee and some others applications.

For others files its perfectly ok, like AVG PCtune; Malwarebytes, Microsoft Office and so many others.

I have also tried to install again the sotware which doesnt start but it is the same.

Some people suggested that possibly a dll have been modified, but how to find out?
    I hope someone will be able to help me as my next step would be to fully reinstall windows and all applications.

Thanks a lot for your help

Regards

prarial, Jun 18, 2020
  3. Creating an EXE with iexpress in Windows

Here is a quick list. *Toast :toast:

• Backup up the game folder inside the "Origin Games" folder.
    • install origins on the new pc
    • Start installing the game, then stop origins
    • move the backup file to the new "Origin Games" folder.
    • Start Origins and then right click the game and "repair install"

Mindweaver, Jun 18, 2020
  4. HammerON Win User

Creating an EXE with iexpress in Windows

Yep - I have done this with BF4, BF3, and Crysis 3*Smile .exe files not starting correctly - "Windows Installer" starts :)

HammerON, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

1. .exe files not starting correctly - "Windows Installer" starts - Similar Threads - exe files starting

2. Fix LogTransport2.exe application Unable to start correctly on Windows PC

in Windows 10 News
    Fix LogTransport2.exe application Unable to start correctly on Windows PC: [ATTACH]You may see LogTransport2.exe application error on shutdown or when you try to start Adobe Acrobat Reader, The solutions listed here will help you in both cases. The error message may occur when the user attempts to start the application or put their system on sleep...
  3. .exe files will not run correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .exe files will not run correctly: Hello,I'm having trouble getting .exe files to run. When I try to run the file I can see that it sort of works through the task manager but it appears frozen and nothing pops up. I've checked the permissions through regedit and everything seems fine, I've tried turning off my...
  4. .exe files will not run correctly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .exe files will not run correctly: Hello,I'm having trouble getting .exe files to run. When I try to run the file I can see that it sort of works through the task manager but it appears frozen and nothing pops up. I've checked the permissions through regedit and everything seems fine, I've tried turning off my...
  5. .exe files will not run correctly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Windows 10 apps and .exe files not starting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 apps and .exe files not starting: Version: Windows 10 Pro 1909 Apps installed from Microsoft store are not opening and I can't install software because nothing happens when I try to open .exe files. There is no message and when I run as admin, after I press yes on the pop up it just disappears and nothing...
  7. Certain .exe files refuse to start

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Certain .exe files refuse to start: I have a problem where certain, not all .exe files refuse to boot. What happens is I start them up and then nothing happens. When I check in task manager, the process is there for a couple of seconds and then disappears. This doesn't happen with all .exe files, as many still...
  8. EXE files wont start

EXE files wont start: Hello, guys! I have an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Media Center Edition (Joke, It is actually Home) x64 and I've just downloaded an application used for TV when I'm gone, but it won't start! I've edited the registry, Ran as an Administrator, I can't start safe mode, nothing...
  9. Impossible to starts some exe files!

Impossible to starts some exe files!: hello everyone, I need help as I have tried all of what i have found in this and other forums, whitout any success. Since a week icant start some exe files and i dont know why only some! i have appleied what was described in Restore Default File Type Associations in...
  10. EXE files and Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    EXE files and Start menu: Is there any way I can put an .exe file on the Start menu? I know I can put a link to it on the desktop but that has too many icons on it already. Thank you. 22594