Windows 10: EXE Files only opening as 7zip

Discus and support EXE Files only opening as 7zip in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Good day, I'm currently helping with some office work as tech support, and I've run into an issue while trying to install a printer driver on an older... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/LackOfContext78, Mar 22, 2021.

1. EXE Files only opening as 7zip

Good day,

I'm currently helping with some office work as tech support, and I've run into an issue while trying to install a printer driver on an older laptop. One of the office workers needed a computer, so I found an older laptop and updated it to Windows 10, and it has worked mostly fine. The issue is that all EXE files on the computer have the 7zip icon, despite not having 7zip installed on the laptop. I have tried editing the registry, downloading and merging a fixed .reg file, scanned with windows file checker, and booting in safe mode/removing extraneous start up programs. I have an inkling this may be some sort of malware, any help would be much appreciated.

This is my first time posting in this sub, so if any more information is needed (screenshots, versions) just let me know and I'll be happy to supply them. Thanks.

submitted by /u/LackOfContext78
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/LackOfContext78, Mar 22, 2021
  2. LavKazan Win User

exe files opening in 7zip

I am at wits end right now.

So, I removed 7zip a couple of hours ago, and am tired, so I go to install MCedit, only for 7zip, in which i already deleted, trying to open it, even is mcedit installer is a exe. Ive tried everything, please help!!!!!

-Lav

LavKazan, Mar 22, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    exe files opening in 7zip

Hi Lav

7Zip has corrupted your EXE file association and that needs to be restored . .

That involves some registry editing which is complicated, here is an easier way to fix this . . .

Click the link below, then on that page, scroll down to option 2. In that section is a table, scroll down to find EXE

Click that to download a reg file

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8703-restor...

When the reg files downloads, right click the reg file and choose Merge, then confirm the merge

Restart your PC and all exe's will be back working . . .

Standard Disclaimer: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

DaveM121, Mar 22, 2021
  4. Callender Win User

EXE Files only opening as 7zip

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files

You did try re-adding it to context menu after the reboot/ reinstall as per this post? It doesn't show up otherwise.

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files - Windows 10 Forums

Callender, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

EXE Files only opening as 7zip

1. EXE Files only opening as 7zip - Similar Threads - EXE Files opening

2. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXE file will not open: I recently had some software installed on my computer that was not running well so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it but the EXE file would no longer open. I googled the issue which references registry issues but having followed troubleshooting steps it still did not...
  3. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXE file will not open: I recently had some software installed on my computer that was not running well so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it but the EXE file would no longer open. I googled the issue which references registry issues but having followed troubleshooting steps it still did not...
  4. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. .exe files not opening

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    .exe files not opening: I Recently Got Rid Of Malware On My Windows 10 Laptop, But It Doesn't Let Me Open Any .exe Files Anymore. It Gives Me The Error "Windows can't open this type of file.exe". Does Anyone Know A Solution To This Problem?...
  6. Opening exe file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening exe file: I have upgraded my windows 7 laptop from windows 7 to 10 and now I cannot run exe file by clicking on it or clicking run as administrator , the file doesn't open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-exe-file/a23ad151-4dca-47b8-8bcd-a9e25a4b44dd
  7. exe files opening in 7zip

exe files opening in 7zip: I am at wits end right now. So, I removed 7zip a couple of hours ago, and am tired, so I go to install MCedit, only for 7zip, in which i already deleted, trying to open it, even is mcedit installer is a exe. Ive tried everything, please help!!!!! -Lav...
  8. Missing "open with" options for EXEs only.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing "open with" options for EXEs only.: I can see it when I open text files and such but not when opening exes. This usually isn't a problem but for some reason I have one exe that is opening with adobe flash player... Edit: Ok it's not only with exes but it does work for some types but not others....
  9. Unable to register 7zip to open zip files

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files: Windows 10 Pro 1803 will not register the 7zip app to open .zip files. When it displays the app selection, 7zip is not even listed. It directs me to select the program from C:\Program Files which works but does not retain the selection permanently. sfc /scannow and chkdsk...
  10. How to use 7zip to open RAR files

How to use 7zip to open RAR files: On this computer there is a 7zip program to open zip files. In its current default configuration it is not able to open RAR files. When attempting to open RAR files the screen will only flash. Switching browsers had no change in result. Win zip was downloaded but it has a...