Windows 10: exe files opening in 7zip

Discus and support exe files opening in 7zip in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I am at wits end right now. So, I removed 7zip a couple of hours ago, and am tired, so I go to install MCedit, only for 7zip, in which i already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by LavKazan, Jan 27, 2020.

1. LavKazan Win User

exe files opening in 7zip

I am at wits end right now.

So, I removed 7zip a couple of hours ago, and am tired, so I go to install MCedit, only for 7zip, in which i already deleted, trying to open it, even is mcedit installer is a exe. Ive tried everything, please help!!!!!

-Lav

:)

LavKazan, Jan 27, 2020
  2. Callender Win User

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files

You did try re-adding it to context menu after the reboot/ reinstall as per this post? It doesn't show up otherwise.

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files - Windows 10 Forums

Callender, Jan 27, 2020
  3. ineuw Win User

Windows 10 Pro 1803 will not register the 7zip app to open .zip files.
    When it displays the app selection, 7zip is not even listed. It directs me to select the program from C:\Program Files which works but does not retain the selection permanently.

sfc /scannow and chkdsk c:/f/v both report everything is OK.

It is not listed in the context menu, where it existed in the past.
    It won't register it through the file properties type selection.
    Not in "Open with".
    I searched the registry, and the extension .zip exists but it does not have an "open with" value.
    How can I correct this?

ineuw, Jan 27, 2020
  4. ineuw Win User

Well, a number of things happened.

1. Removed, rebooted and reinstalled 7zip.
    2. In 7zip options I selected the preferred extensions to be recognized.
    3. Windows registered these changes and recognized the file. The file properties correctly shows the file type, and so is the 'Open with'. But, it failed to add 7zip access in the context menu, without which one cannot zip a file.
    4. So I uninstalled KB4462919, rebooted and re-installed 7zip and that didn't help either.
    5. Then, Windows update complained about the uninstalled missing security update, and proceeded to reinstalled it along with some other updates.

So now I can unzip, but zipping a file is a complicated process.
    P.S: I forgot to mention that uninstalling the security update also knocked out the browsers. Could not connect with either Cyberfox or Vivaldi.

ineuw, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

1. exe files opening in 7zip - Similar Threads - exe files opening

2. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EXE file will not open: I recently had some software installed on my computer that was not running well so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it but the EXE file would no longer open. I googled the issue which references registry issues but having followed troubleshooting steps it still did not...
  3. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXE file will not open: I recently had some software installed on my computer that was not running well so I uninstalled and tried to reinstall it but the EXE file would no longer open. I googled the issue which references registry issues but having followed troubleshooting steps it still did not...
  4. EXE file will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. .exe files not opening

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    .exe files not opening: I Recently Got Rid Of Malware On My Windows 10 Laptop, But It Doesn't Let Me Open Any .exe Files Anymore. It Gives Me The Error "Windows can't open this type of file.exe". Does Anyone Know A Solution To This Problem?...
  6. EXE Files only opening as 7zip

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    EXE Files only opening as 7zip: Good day, I'm currently helping with some office work as tech support, and I've run into an issue while trying to install a printer driver on an older laptop. One of the office workers needed a computer, so I found an older laptop and updated it to Windows 10, and it has...
  7. Opening exe file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening exe file: I have upgraded my windows 7 laptop from windows 7 to 10 and now I cannot run exe file by clicking on it or clicking run as administrator , the file doesn't open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-exe-file/a23ad151-4dca-47b8-8bcd-a9e25a4b44dd
  8. 7zip

7zip: This msg ( 7zip1900-x64.exe is not commonly downloaded and could harm your computer ) msg appear atter download is complete, any advise ? 127679
  9. Unable to register 7zip to open zip files

Unable to register 7zip to open zip files: Windows 10 Pro 1803 will not register the 7zip app to open .zip files. When it displays the app selection, 7zip is not even listed. It directs me to select the program from C:\Program Files which works but does not retain the selection permanently. sfc /scannow and chkdsk...
  10. How to use 7zip to open RAR files

How to use 7zip to open RAR files: On this computer there is a 7zip program to open zip files. In its current default configuration it is not able to open RAR files. When attempting to open RAR files the screen will only flash. Switching browsers had no change in result. Win zip was downloaded but it has a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to open an exe file in 7zip