Windows 10: exe files, start buton not working. comand prompt X:\Windows\System32?

Discus and support exe files, start buton not working. comand prompt X:\Windows\System32? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A few weeks ago my Windows 10 PC crashed. BSOD. and hasn't been the same since. An error appears just after Windows loads:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pathogan2008, Mar 10, 2018.

1. exe files, start buton not working. comand prompt X:\Windows\System32?

A few weeks ago my Windows 10 PC crashed. BSOD. and hasn't been the same since.

An error appears just after Windows loads: "C:\Windows\System32\Windows.System.Diagnostics.PlatformTelemetryClient.dll is
    either not designed to run on windows or it contains an error etc...."
    (see 1ps.jpg attached)

Also, weirdly, when you press the windows button on the screen or keyboard, no programs are shown
    (see 5ps.jpg)

I can't run programs like Word, or most of the other programs I've installed. VLC and Firefox still work oddly.

I can't install or run Windows defender or CC Cleaner or simlar programs
    I don't think it' a physical hard disk problem. I don't think it's necessarily a virus or malware problem.
    I think the registry has corrupted itself.

I successfully cloned the drive to another physically "known good" drive, so I can mess with the software on this clone without worrying.
    I can get the PC to go into safe mode by holding down left shift key, right clicking start button (as left clicking Start doesn't work!!!) -> Shut down or restart -> restart

”System Restore” - no restore points have been created on your computer’s system drive.
    “System image image recovery” - Windows cannot find a system image on this computer.
    “Startup Repair” - Startup repair couldn’t repair your pc.

I got to the command prompt
    "sfc /scannow" completes with no errors reported

I tried to create a different user account, but get the error
    "the user was successfully created but could not be added to the USERS local group

I ran regedit and saw something weird.
    The program files directories are shown as the X:\ drive
    Sure enough, so is command prompt X:\Windows\System32

see attached photo.

Like most people - this should be my C:\ drive.
    I have no idea how this happened. Malware perhaps - or just Something that Windows 10 has done to itself.

Either way, has anyone experienced this or know of a way to fix it?

Thanks!
    exe files, start buton not working. comand prompt X:\Windows\System32? [​IMG]

:)

pathogan2008, Mar 10, 2018

2. comand prompt

Rightclick on the Start-button - also by some, called the "Windows-icon" in the lower-left corner

Click on Command Prompt (Admin)

Micael Nielsen, Mar 10, 2018
  3. comand prompt

command prompt does not come up when pressing window x? is there another rout to log in as administrator?

JohnSturtz, Mar 10, 2018
Thema:

exe files, start buton not working. comand prompt X:\Windows\System32?

1. exe files, start buton not working. comand prompt X:\Windows\System32? - Similar Threads - exe files start

2. Teredo type disabled in comand prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Teredo type disabled in comand prompt: im trying to fix teredo so i can play on xboxlive but it says its disables in the comand prompt ive gone into the device manager to try and find it but i literally cant find it on my system and its not in my registry form either so i dont know what else to do ive also...
  3. comand prompt search on desktop is gone

in Cortana
    comand prompt search on desktop is gone: where is the search bar that is usually next to the windows icon, has disappeared. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/comand-prompt-search-on-desktop-is-gone/daa2d050-a5fb-4818-9511-d0f7bdc00fb7"
  4. regedit,command prompt & .exe files does not open

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    regedit,command prompt & .exe files does not open: regedit, command prompt does not show run as administrator option and also does not open any .exe files on my windows 10 laptop.it says to look for an app in Microsoft store....
  5. X command prompt?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    X command prompt?: Hi all ive been having issues with a laptop- have had help before but I still not booting up. It reads the windows 10 media but gets to 50% then says error. So so I downloaded recovery media and that usb not even being recognised in boot set up. So so I went...
  6. Diffrent colors in comand prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    Diffrent colors in comand prompt: I have make a menu in comand prompt, is there a way to make each line in the menu a diffrent color. line 1 red line 3 blue eg. 133660
  7. cmd prompt and its related exe files not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    cmd prompt and its related exe files not working: i have problem with my cmd prompt not working its disappearing after some seconds, i have done path change to c:\windows\syswow64\ but still not find cmd working for me and same thing flashing and disappearing..........plz advise...
  8. Should there be anything written in the Comand prompt box

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should there be anything written in the Comand prompt box: Earlier today I opened the Comand Prompt box and I noticed there is a command C:\Users\Users. Before this I have never seen anything written in this. Does it need to be removed?...
  9. EXE files wont start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EXE files wont start: Hello, guys! I have an HP Laptop running Windows 10 Media Center Edition (Joke, It is actually Home) x64 and I've just downloaded an application used for TV when I'm gone, but it won't start! I've edited the registry, Ran as an Administrator, I can't start safe mode, nothing...
  10. EXE files and Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    EXE files and Start menu: Is there any way I can put an .exe file on the Start menu? I know I can put a link to it on the desktop but that has too many icons on it already. Thank you. 22594