Windows 10: exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on

Discus and support exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I'm installing a new computer/Windows 10 pro and I have a weird behavior. What can cause the problem in the attached? It seems that extracting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by amos, May 21, 2020 at 3:32 PM.

1. amos Win User

exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on

Hi

I'm installing a new computer/Windows 10 pro and I have a weird behavior.

What can cause the problem in the attached?
    It seems that extracting (winrar) the files into the downloads/desktop folder is causing this.
    If I extract the file into c:\portables\ folder (for example), then it's ok.

I'm confused.

:)

2. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

3. Eric Ber Win User
    Can't run .exe file

Hi Phil,

There are several reasons why you are having issues running .exe files on your Windows 10 laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the error message that you received when running .exe files?

Regards.

4. Arun B J Win User

Windows store icon generates an error message when clicked

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1:

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption.
    SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

• Press Windows key + X, click
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow
    If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 2:

You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Thema:

1. exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on - Similar Threads - exe files generic

2. exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on: Hi I'm installing a new computer/Windows 10 pro and I have a weird behavior. What can cause the problem in the attached? It seems that extracting (winrar) the files into the downloads/desktop folder is causing this. If I extract the file into c:\portables\ folder (for...
  3. Error executing exe file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error executing exe file: Every time I try to download something by running an exe file, the computer keeps rebooting. It always reboot during download after running exe file. What should i do fix the problem? Pls help me.. submitted by /u/gevatte [link] [comments]...
  4. Wrong "generic" icons for Acrobat DC's files

Wrong "generic" icons for Acrobat DC's files: hi there, i had a few rogue installations of Acrobat DC, now i installed the new one from the cloud official from adobe creative cloud etc. now it fully works fine however the icons show up just as white. if i select another app to open, say chrome or IE, correct icons...
  5. Desktop icons are generic icons.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons are generic icons.: Desktop icons are generic icons. This has recently occurred on PCs that were upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I've scoured the internet and tried everything I could find with no solution. Thanks...
  6. Desktop icons are generic icons

Desktop icons are generic icons: Desktop icons are generic icons. This has recently occurred on PCs that were upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. I've scoured the internet and tried everything I could find with no solution. Thanks...
  7. Error Message when Clicking Desktop Icons

Error Message when Clicking Desktop Icons: When my Desktop came up upon booting, when I clicked on Icons, I was getting a message stating 'token cannot be accessed', instead of activating the icon. I believe there was an update being installed. After powering off the machine, and back on, everyting seems fine. Any...
  8. Error 0xc000007b when executing an .exe file

Error 0xc000007b when executing an .exe file: I am trying to run an .exe file but it comes up with that error. When I first got it, it wanted me to install MSVCP140D.dll, vcruntime140d.dll, and ucrtbased.dll, so I downloaded them off dll-files and put them in system32 and syswow64, also I installed Windows SDK. Now it is...
  9. " Error creating temp. file " when downloading new .exe file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    " Error creating temp. file " when downloading new .exe file: I'm trying to download .exe file and getting message Error creating temp. file needed for download. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-creating-temp-file-when-downloading-new-exe/5df508a0-cce3-44a4-941a-1378e5cf83c8
  10. Error when clicking Windows 10 tray icon

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error when clicking Windows 10 tray icon: I have finished wiping out my PC in order to upgrade to Windows 10. After applying numerous updates, I finally received the Windows 10 tray icon. Once i click on it, I get the following screen. Does anyone know what the issue is? It just sits on this screen with no further...