Windows 10: exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on

Discus and support exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi I'm installing a new computer/Windows 10 pro and I have a weird behavior. What can cause the problem in the attached? It seems that extracting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by amos, May 21, 2020.

1. amos Win User

exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on

Hi

I'm installing a new computer/Windows 10 pro and I have a weird behavior.

What can cause the problem in the attached?
    It seems that extracting (winrar) the files into the downloads/desktop folder is causing this.
    If I extract the file into c:\portables\ folder (for example), then it's ok.

I'm confused.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, installed Windows 10 again and apparently the user that is created as part of the installation, even though he's in the admin group, is lack of admin rights.

I enabled the administrator user and now I'm working with it and all is good so assuming this is my home/personal computer, my question would be:

1. Should I just keep using this administrator user and delete/remove the other one?

2. Somehow understand how to make the other admin user a real admin user with admin rights and disable the administrator user.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

:)

2. dark2099 Win User

Generating a .txt based file list in Windows 7

I want to be able to generate a .txt file that lists all the files and folders in a specific folder on my PC, but don't know the name of any programs that do that. Searched on google a bit and came up with this guide, but it's for XP and I can't seem to find some of the folder options to modify the .bat file. Any suggestions? Thanks

http://www.theeldergeek.com/file_list_generator.htm

EDIT: The .bat file will do what I want if it is in the folder I want to do it in, but the option I want to add is having the right click option that it shows.

dark2099, May 21, 2020
  3. Eric Ber Win User
    Can't run .exe file

Hi Phil,

There are several reasons why you are having issues running .exe files on your Windows 10 laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the error message that you received when running .exe files?

Regards.

Eric Ber, May 21, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Windows store icon generates an error message when clicked

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

Method 1:

Try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption.
    SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.

• Press Windows key + X, click
      Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow
    If the issue still exists, try the next method.

Method 2:

You may check the same issue with the new user account.

Try these steps to create a new user account and check if it fixes the issue. Refer to the steps below to create a new User Account:

• Go to Settings.
    • Choose Accounts and then select Other User Accounts towards the left.
    • Select Add an Account.
    • Enter a user name and hit Next.
    • Click on Finish.
    • Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    • Check if issue persists.
    Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if you need any further assistance, we'll be glad to assist you.

Arun B J, May 21, 2020
Thema:

1. exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on - Similar Threads - exe files generic

2. When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.: When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes. It is treated only if you transfer this exe file to the desktop and click on it there. After that, the error disappears for a while. What to do?error log in windows journal- System - Provider [ Name] Application Error -...
  3. When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes.: When I right click on the exe file, explorer crashes. It is treated only if you transfer this exe file to the desktop and click on it there. After that, the error disappears for a while. What to do?error log in windows journal- System - Provider [ Name] Application Error -...
  4. exe file missed icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    exe file missed icon: I have a exe file missed icon.The exe file of the program Exact Audio Copy in the folder C:\Program Files x86\Exact Audio Copyhas missed it's icon as what my screenshot has shown.I have uninstall the program and reinstall it many times but still not work.If I install the...
  5. exe file missed icon

exe file missed icon: I have a exe file missed icon.The exe file of the program Exact Audio Copy in the folder C:\Program Files x86\Exact Audio Copyhas missed it's icon as what my screenshot has shown.I have uninstall the program and reinstall it many times but still not work.If I install the...
  6. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon: Hi all,I have a highly customized system and among the changes I made to other icons, I somehow changed my .exe icon too, MEANING that most ALL .exe files now have the SAME custom icon rather than the icon for each program like they are generally supposed to have. Example:...
  7. Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon

Customized .exe file icon and need to reset only .exe icon to default icon: Hi all,I have a highly customized system and among the changes I made to other icons, I somehow changed my .exe icon too, MEANING that most ALL .exe files now have the SAME custom icon rather than the icon for each program like they are generally supposed to have. Example:...
  8. Generic icon

in Windows 10 Support
    Generic icon: [img] Greetings, I have notepad files on the desktop, but the icons for these are generic (the last file in the picture). Someone else had this problem. They were told to delete a file: %localAppData%\IconCache.db I have deleted the file and rebooted but the icons are...
  9. Generic Icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Generic Icons: I needed to update an icon on my desktop. I had saved the new icon in my download folder. I went there to update the icon. Now I can't find the original generic icon folder. Does anyone have its file location? Thank you!...
  10. exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on

in Windows 10 Support
    exe files with a generic icon + error when clicked on: Hi I'm installing a new computer/Windows 10 pro and I have a weird behavior. What can cause the problem in the attached? It seems that extracting (winrar) the files into the downloads/desktop folder is causing this. If I extract the file into c:\portables\ folder (for...