Windows 10: .exe files won't run from a .zip download

Discus and support .exe files won't run from a .zip download in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; There are two particular .exe files on my computer that will not run. One is an installer for a Tascam US-800 audio interface. The other is the .exe... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by TwinMomJ, May 3, 2020.

1. TwinMomJ Win User

.exe files won't run from a .zip download

There are two particular .exe files on my computer that will not run. One is an installer for a Tascam US-800 audio interface. The other is the .exe installer for H&R Block tax software. Both files were downloaded as part of .zip files. I extracted all the files from the .zip files. I then went to the .exe files in the destination folder for the extract and tried to run the .exe files but they won't run. It's like something is blocking them. The same thing happens whether I just double click or right-click and select "run as administrator."

Here is what happens when I try and run the .exe files.

I double click to open.

The permissions screen pops up asking if I want to allow the program to make changes.

I select yes.

And then nothing.

I've tried disabling my system's firewall and disabling live virus scanning, booting into Safe Mode, doing a clean boot, no luck.

What's very strange is that I've downloaded and run other .exe files that weren't part of a .zip file and those have run fine.

Any suggestions as to how I can get those programs to run?

Computer is a new HP 17-by2xxx loaded with HP default software running windows 10 Home

:)

TwinMomJ, May 3, 2020
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Can't run .exe file

Hi Phil,

There are several reasons why you are having issues running .exe files on your Windows 10 laptop. To assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Have you made any changes to your laptop prior to this issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • What is the error message that you received when running .exe files?

Regards.

Eric Ber, May 3, 2020
  3. unable to download and run .exe files

I tried to download and run .exe file but I am not able to run . I tried in private mode for edge browser. then also I am getting error. after downloading the .exe file it shows, the file may be moved or deleted. in private mode,i tried to run the file,
    but it shows file not found.

please provide me troubleshooting steps for me,its vwery important for me.

ShashikiranZZ, May 3, 2020
  4. .exe files won't run from a .zip download

Cannot run .exe files

I rebooted my computer and it downloaded some updates. When it restarted, I could no longer run any .exe files. When I click on one, it asks me which program I would like to use to run it. Obviously, there are no programs on the list it offers me. The
    weirdest part is that some downloaded applications (like chrome, thankfully) still run. Any suggestions on how I can fix this or what happened?

robotoverlord, May 3, 2020
Thema:

.exe files won't run from a .zip download

1. .exe files won't run from a .zip download - Similar Threads - exe files won't

2. Zip file that won't delete

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Zip file that won't delete: Hello, I have been trying to delete an unextracted zip file from my documents. However, when I try to delete it, a message comes up saying that an unexpected error is keeping me from deleting the file....
  3. Zip file that won't delete

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Zip file that won't delete: Hello, I have been trying to delete an unextracted zip file from my documents. However, when I try to delete it, a message comes up saying that an unexpected error is keeping me from deleting the file....
  4. Can you get a virus from an exe file that was in a zipped folder?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can you get a virus from an exe file that was in a zipped folder?: Hi everybody. I downloaded a folder from google drive which had a couple of pdf files and an exe file I didn't notice. When I opened the zipped folder I noticed the exe and immediately deleted the file (while the folder was still zipped) but windows explorer crashed. I...
  5. Downloading a zip file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Downloading a zip file: I purchased turbo tax online and keep getting the error below while trying to install it, what should I do? Thank You! could not write value DefaultTokenId to key...
  6. Downloading an .exe file

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Downloading an .exe file: I've tried to download .exe files, but I get a message that this is not a Microsoft-verified file - then it wants me to go to the Microsoft Store, and I don't want to do this, I want to download the .exe file I started. How can I bypass this message? Thank you....
  7. No exe files will run!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No exe files will run!: No exe files will run. This includes, Command Prompt, regedit, reset get started or anything else that has exe file during exicution. Using windows 10, on a hp envy laptop. *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  8. RUN won't 'run' EXE files

in Windows 10 Support
    RUN won't 'run' EXE files: Since 1803 was loaded on 3 of my Dell laptops (various models) I've discovered that the RUN function (under Windows Start Button) won't "run" an EXE file that is located in my download folder. Same response on 3 different laptops. I have a history of the APP for these EXEs...
  9. RUN won't 'execute' EXE files

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    RUN won't 'execute' EXE files: Since 1803 was loaded on 3 of my Dell laptops (various models) I've discovered that the RUN function (under Windows Start Button) won't "run" an EXE file that is located in my download folder. Same response on 3 different laptops. I have a history of the APP for these EXEs...
  10. Zip file downloads.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Zip file downloads.: I have been struggling with tweaking my newly restored Win 10. Nearly every set of instructions that I follow is wrong. I am continuously downloading the same program repeatedly. I am doing tasks two or three times before it fully responds. It can't be just me. To...