Windows 10: execute permission denied on usb external hard drive on windows 10

Discus and support execute permission denied on usb external hard drive on windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; everytime i execute an exe file in file explorer or at command prompt in this external hard drive it says permission denied, but when i execute with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by vh4, Mar 8, 2019.

1. VH4
    vh4 Win User

execute permission denied on usb external hard drive on windows 10

everytime i execute an exe file in file explorer or at command prompt in this external hard drive

it says permission denied, but when i execute with admin privilege it executes. i do not want

this. it is unsafe to execute exe file as admin. i changed owner and full control permissions

as suggested on the internet, still permission denied for regular user.

here is full details:

i got new wd 4tb external hard drive for windows 10.
    i formatted it and create multiple partitions ( had to use
    admin privilege in diskmgmt. )
    everytime install software from internet, i am forced to login as admin. everytime execute an executable .exe file says permission denied, requires me to login as admin, which works, but i dont want to login as admin, but i want to use my current regular user account called z.
    even when i cd into one of the partition n: i get access denied.
    (note i can copy files from any of the partitions, admin privilege not required.)
    i googled for solution, sent me to stackexchange sites, tried ALL
    solutions. none of them worked.

i changed owner to regular user, aio\z, for partition n:

one by one changed permission for all users to full control with inheritance and
    subfolders, etc, and still get access denied and permission denied.
    the only permission allowed is read files. no admin required.
    note i dont have problem with my internal hard drive just the external.
    permissions for n: partition:

n: NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Usersexecute permission denied on usb  external hard drive on windows 10 :(OI)(CI)(F)
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEMexecute permission denied on usb  external hard drive on windows 10 :(OI)(CI)(F)
    BUILTIN\Administratorsexecute permission denied on usb  external hard drive on windows 10 :(OI)(CI)(F)
    BUILTIN\Usersexecute permission denied on usb  external hard drive on windows 10 :(OI)(CI)(F)
    AIO\zexecute permission denied on usb  external hard drive on windows 10 :(OI)(CI)(F)
    Everyoneexecute permission denied on usb  external hard drive on windows 10 :(OI)(CI)(F)
    Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

i just want to use my regular user, aio\z. i do not want to use admin privilege
    to execute .exe files in n: or cd into n: partition.
    i changed ownership of n: to aio\z and full control to everyone, aio\z, and
    c:\users. why isnt it working?

:)

2. Access denied in external hard drive

Access denied in external hard drive in windows 10

MANIDEEPAPAL, Mar 8, 2019
  3. twynog Win User
    External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Mar 8, 2019
  4. execute permission denied on usb external hard drive on windows 10

External hard drive is showing up as local disk drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that the external hard drive is showing as local disk drive instead of a USB drive, it is because the file format for the external hard drive is same as the internal hard drive and that’s why it is showing
    up as a local disk drive and not a USB drive.

Also, since you are facing issues while changing the drive letter of the drive, for further clarity on the issue and to guide you accordingly, respond to the questions listed below:

1. What is the make and model of the hard drive?
    2. Were you able to save or create a file on the hard drive previously?
    3. What happens when you try to copy and paste the data from the hard drive?
    4. What was the result of check disk performed on the drive?

Since you are receiving the access denied error, I would suggest you to check if the user has appropriate permissions to read/write data on the external hard drive. Refer the article

"Access Denied" or other errors when you access or work with files and folders in Windows
    , refer the section
    I cannot access, change, save, or delete files and folders.

Note:
    The above article applies to Windows 10 also.

Please get back to us with the above information to assist you further with the issue.

We await your response.

Regards,

Prakhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Prakhar_Khare, Mar 8, 2019
Thema:

execute permission denied on usb external hard drive on windows 10

1. execute permission denied on usb external hard drive on windows 10 - Similar Threads - execute permission denied

2. Windows 10 external hard drive access denied

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 external hard drive access denied: I have an external backup hard drive that has suddenly started giving "Access denied" error message when I try to open it. However, if i open a CMD window as administrator, I can fully access the external drive and copy or move files as normal. Right now, my plan is to copy...
  3. Windows 10 external hard drive access denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 external hard drive access denied: I have an external backup hard drive that has suddenly started giving "Access denied" error message when I try to open it. However, if i open a CMD window as administrator, I can fully access the external drive and copy or move files as normal. Right now, my plan is to copy...
  4. Windows 10 external hard drive access denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. External Hard Drive Access Denied

External Hard Drive Access Denied: My external hard drive stopped working from one day to the next. The only changes I made to my system is that I let windows update run when I turned off my computer the day before. The next day when starting my computer it said "no master boot record found" or something...
  6. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: My external hard drive stopped working from one day to the next. The only changes I made to my system is that I let windows update run when I turned off my computer the day before. The next day when starting my computer it said "no master boot record found" or something...
  7. External Hard Drive - Access Denied

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive - Access Denied: I have always taken a backup onto an external hard drive every few weeks. The drive recently stopped working with an "Access Denied" error when I browse to it in explorer.I have a second new external drive and get the same problem.From disk manager, i deleted the volume,...
  8. External hard drive access denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive access denied: I cannot access my external hard drive. I was able to previously, after creating a new volume using Disk Management. I moved about 500GB of personal data and since I was able to access it, I deleted the original copy, so what's in the drive is the only copy of the data and I...
  9. External Hard Drive Access Denied

External Hard Drive Access Denied: I have Iomega External Hard Drive and it is assigned Drive: F within my File Explorer. When I select it, it tells me I am denied access I follow the prompts but I am not sure how to populate the fields to obtain access. What do I do?...
  10. External Hard Drive Access Denied

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Access Denied: I am not able to access my external HDD at all. It's a seagate 2TB 9SF2A8-500, if that helps? I keep getting this message saying "Location is not available" "F:\ is not accessible. Access Denied". I feel like I've tried everything! [ATTACH] This started happening with...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i dont have permission to execute files on my usb drive in windows 10

2. can i remove execute permission from an external disk