Windows 10: Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...

Discus and support Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all, Here is a critical problem i have faced. I have inserted my pendrive in an laptop with OS X. As it was in ntfs format the data were shown but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mkrk, Jul 26, 2016.

1. mkrk Win User

Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system...

Hi all,
    Here is a critical problem i have faced. I have inserted my pendrive in an laptop with OS X. As it was in ntfs format the data were shown but writting into this couldn't be done. So I format it to exfat format to get some data. When I insert it into my laptop it was giving a message to fomat disk.Then i again format it to exfat format.But the irritating thing is that now memory size of my 16gb pendrive becomes 200mb.What shall i do right now to get 16gb pendrive?

:)

2. graye Win User

Correct Format for USB Stick | FAT32? | NTFS? | Some Other Format?

So, that appears to indicate that Macrium doesn't care about the format... as long as the file system can be "seen" by your system.

I'd suggest exFAT...
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3109559/hardware/why-your-usb-drives-file-format-matters-fat32-vs-exfat-vs-ntfs.html

graye, Jul 26, 2016
  3. Files inside exFAT formatted USB flash drive are missing.

WHAT?? I can't believe I'm hearing this from a "Microsoft" person!!!

FAT32 and ExFAT are legacy file format systems which are universally supported (less so for ExFAT) and certainly all Windows including the latest Windows 10 support them.

Only limitation from the latest bunch of Windows (i.e., from 7 onwards) is that it needs the system drive to be NTFS. All other (external) drives can be either NTFS, ExFAT or FAT32.

In fact, most of the thumb drives come pre-formatted with FAT32 till date because that's what is supported by several other devices (read TV, media-box, etc).

@Mushthaq,

It's more than a year now and hence not sure if this will help you. It seems like the issue you are facing is due to ExFAT which is not as universally supported as the FAT32. It's possible that the device you used to copy files into the drive Vs the one
    that you are trying to read has compatibility issues. Switch over to FAT32 (if you don't have files larger than 4 GB) and this issue should go away.

Cheers!

Mohan Ram Bala, Jul 26, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

aardvark, Jul 26, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    I also use a Mac OS X and it has issues with NTFS, haven't found a suitable program [free] to add in so I use FAT32 formatted drives. Windows, Mac OS X and Linux can use them without problems but Windows has issues in not being able to format a drive over 32GB as FAT32 so I usually do it with my Linux machine or I boot to a GPARTED LiveCD disc and use it to partition as needed then format as desired. I now have a 250GB External USB HDD for use on all my computers [recycle 2.5" Notebooks drives into portable cases]. If wanting/needing higher capacity just for my Mac OS X I'd go with a WDC Passport for Mac [have a 750GB and 1TB for Windows and Linux only].

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Exfat file system Vs NTFS file system... - Similar Threads - Exfat file system

2. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  3. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NTFS FILE SYSTEM: Hey, I'm facing an error while starting my PC, ill explain in details. My Bluetooth driver wasn't working so i turned off and on my pc for a few times and after that, I'm facing blue screen everytime i try to turn on my PC, it turns on, window logo for a few seconds then blue...
  4. NTFS FILE SYSTEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. NTFS File System

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTFS File System: I had a virtual machine running on a customer's computer, and I needed to reinstall it. I removed the drive from the computer so I could copy a new VHD from my laptop to the drive. IIt kept telling me that the recycle bin on the drive was corrupt and would not let me copy...
  6. Conflict between NTFS and exFAT File systems using Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Conflict between NTFS and exFAT File systems using Win 10: This started when I was suckered into buying a couple of obscure brand SSDs at very low prices and very large supposed storage capacities. I spent days of infuriated time before putting the drives on the trash heap and ordering "good" ones. The cheapies 'speed' was 8 times...
  7. exFat vs NTFS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    exFat vs NTFS: ExFat can only save files up to 4 GBs. If you save a 20 GB file using it, you end up with at least 5 files instead of 1. Which would be the case if you were using NTFS format on your device. NTFS can handle any sized file intact. I only use Fat32 or exFat format on usb...
  8. ntfs file system error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ntfs file system error: can anyone tell me how to get past ntfs file system error page as ive watched all the vids on youtube and nothing works just keeps going onto automatic repair continuosly, wish i had never upgraded to windows 10 all ive had is prolems so i hope microsoft realise what they...
  9. NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD: Hi, I have a new SSD Drive (128GB) and I was experiencing some poor performance. I read in another older thread about it and I want to post here my findings. Windows has a very good utility to check performance of Drives : Elevated Comand Prompt > Winsat Disk -Drive X (X...
  10. NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD: Hello. I have a SSD just for gaming. That is. A standalone partition without boot (only data; Steam and other games are stored there). I am wondering if I would gain any benefit from going from NTFS to ExFAT. Your opinions are welcome. 18291