Windows 10: exFat vs NTFS

Discus and support exFat vs NTFS in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ExFat can only save files up to 4 GBs. If you save a 20 GB file using it, you end up with at least 5 files instead of 1. Which would be the case if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DavidBaileyyz, Dec 3, 2018.

1. exFat vs NTFS

ExFat can only save files up to 4 GBs.

If you save a 20 GB file using it, you end up with at least 5 files instead of 1.

Which would be the case if you were using NTFS format on your device.

NTFS can handle any sized file intact.

I only use Fat32 or exFat format on usb drives less than 32 GBs to create rescue drives.

Which format is needed to create such drives.

Google it.

:)

DavidBaileyyz, Dec 3, 2018
  2. AveYo Win User

NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD

That's why I've been using ExFAT on Android since nov2013... and no trouble under various Linux using fuse.
    Not being born yesterday, I still remember the pain in the arse NTFS was. ExFAT is no where near that.
    I would suggest everybody to first try it, then post about it. Reading wikipedia is not the same thing.
    No further comment on FUD spread in this thread.

AveYo, Dec 3, 2018
  3. Hydranix Win User
    NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD

You don't have to use FUSE to use ExFAT on Linux.

I use this kernel module to read/write ExFAT filesystems when the need arises.
    dorimanx/exfat-nofuse · GitHub

The point is though, that NTFS read/write is supported in the kernel, and is enabled by default on most distributions.
    ExFAT however is not supported in any way in the kernel, and requires compiling a third-party kernel module and inserting it into the kernel. This is only feasible on a system which you have total control over, and if you understand how Linux, compiling, and kernel modules work.

Android can only use ExFAT if the OEM has purchased a license for the filesystem. Since android uses the Linux kernel, I'm sure you can cross-compile to module I linked above and slip it into the firmware, but that requires a rooted phone, and far more knowledge of Android/Linux/Whatever architecture processor your device has.

Hydranix, Dec 3, 2018
  4. exFat vs NTFS

NTFS versus exFAT.. what is the difference for an external HD?

I'm setting up a WD 3TB external hard drive. The file system is exFAT -- but I've always used NTFS for Ex HDs.... Is there any major difference?

I've been Googling, but it's confusing...it seems exFAT is used mainly for flash drives. I think exFAT is newer? It seems to have some advantages, apparently faster, (and works with Apple, etc., which I don't
    need.) But it looks like NTFS has better security, and does journaling...

I use the external HDs for basic backup, and keep it connected all the time.

I'm very tempted to re-format it to NTFS.

My desktop PC is running Windows 10.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

StevenErnest, Dec 3, 2018
Thema:

exFat vs NTFS

1. exFat vs NTFS - Similar Threads - exFat NTFS

2. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  3. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat: I copied the contents of my external HD to a new external HD, not knowing I was going from NTFS to exFat. Upon completion, I noticed that the first and last folder transferred correctly, while all the folders in between are empty. However, the new external HD shows 508 GB...
  4. Transfer from external HD NTFS to external HD exFat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Copied 2TB data from an ntfs drive to a exfat drive, the data become 3.5tb!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Copied 2TB data from an ntfs drive to a exfat drive, the data become 3.5tb!: Hello, I wanted to migrate my data from ntfs to exfat, I bought a new hard drive and copied everything in the old ntfs drive to the new exfat one. Unfortunately, the data in the drive almost doubled when I did that. Why did that happen and how can I fix that?...
  6. Copied 2TB data from an ntfs drive to a exfat drive, the data become 3.5tb!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Copied 2TB data from an ntfs drive to a exfat drive, the data become 3.5tb!: Hello, I wanted to migrate my data from ntfs to exfat, I bought a new hard drive and copied everything in the old ntfs drive to the new exfat one. Unfortunately, the data in the drive almost doubled when I did that. Why did that happen and how can I fix that?...
  7. Copied 2TB data from an ntfs drive to a exfat drive, the data become 3.5tb!

8. External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS: I formated my external HDD to NTFS to be able to install games on it but now it won't appear in my folders, got any tips? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-wont-appear-after-formating/37698120-4618-46a0-bec9-fa450a414280
  9. External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS

External hard drive won't appear after formating from exFAT to NTFS: I formated my external HDD to NTFS to be able to install games on it but now it won't appear in my folders, got any tips? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-wont-appear-after-formating/37698120-4618-46a0-bec9-fa450a414280
  10. Conflict between NTFS and exFAT File systems using Win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Conflict between NTFS and exFAT File systems using Win 10: This started when I was suckered into buying a couple of obscure brand SSDs at very low prices and very large supposed storage capacities. I spent days of infuriated time before putting the drives on the trash heap and ordering "good" ones. The cheapies 'speed' was 8 times...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows profile not loading exfat