Windows 10: Existing disks not recognised / booting of old SDD

Discus and support Existing disks not recognised / booting of old SDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My nice new SDD arrived, I installed it into the PC and disconnected the other SATA drives bar the DVD, spun up my W10 DVD and fairly quickly had a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Oriental Slave, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Existing disks not recognised / booting of old SDD

My nice new SDD arrived, I installed it into the PC and disconnected the other SATA drives bar the DVD, spun up my W10 DVD and fairly quickly had a new activated install of W10.

Great!

So I plugged in the old SDD (it has the old C: on it) and the HDDs and it booted off the old SDD. *Sad

Unplugged the old SDD, plugged in the new one plus the HDDs, it wouldn't boot.

Went back to just the new SDD installed, boots fine, hot-plugged the HDDs and it wouldn't see them.

Argh! So right now I'm back where I was with the old SDD and the two HDDs which are mirrored.

:)

Oriental Slave, Feb 7, 2016
  2. HairyFool Win User

Wiping recently cloned HDD (W10 bootable)

Boot the computer with the new disk but with the old drive disconnected.

Connect the old drive using the USB adapter and open disk manager. Try removing the Partitions on the drive using Disk Manager, the drive may be recognised as a "foreign disk" and need importing 1st.

If not you may need to use Diskpart to clean the drive. This is a command line tool which has much the same functions as Disk Manager but is more powerful but should be used with extreme caution.

HairyFool, Feb 7, 2016
  3. ERadler Win User
    change of hard drive after getting the win 10 upgrade

yes, but windows 10 starts behaving weirdly after cloning to a SDD operated in parallel (search entry field is disabled), and changing back to standard boot, restores the old booting order despite settings in the BIOS, may be it pays off changing to UEFI
    with the HP probook

ERadler, Feb 7, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Existing disks not recognised / booting of old SDD

Have you checked in bios to make sure the new SSD is the primary/first boot device? And you probably need to do that with all the HDDs and SSDs you are planning on having connected actually connected when you enter bios setup.

NavyLCDR, Feb 7, 2016
  5. Have had a look, it's hard to see what the options actually are because of the way they are displayed, but a bit of reading of the manual suggests I need the new SSD on a lower SATA port than the old one.

Oriental Slave, Feb 9, 2016
  6. The secret isn't in the BIOS, it's to do with the order the SATA disks are plugged into the Ports.

I now have:
    DVD - port 0
    new SDD - port 1
    old SDD - port 2
    HDDs - ports 4 & 5.

It's booting to the new SDD disk, I'm moving stuff from the old SDD disk to folders on the new, will then be able to reformat it and start installing programs. Will have to do the scary 'import foreign disks' thing for the HDD disks.

Oriental Slave, Feb 9, 2016
  7. It needed a couple of reboots but all of a sudden the correct drives showed up in My Computer so I'm happy now!

Oriental Slave, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Existing disks not recognised / booting of old SDD

1. Existing disks not recognised / booting of old SDD - Similar Threads - Existing disks recognised

2. Disk 100% Usage. W11, SDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk 100% Usage. W11, SDD: I have 100% disk usage, I already watched and made the YouTube videos. Change the hard drive to see if it was the drive, and not the same, it goes up to 100%...I already reset it and at first it works fine for me and it starts up fine and after downloading Fifa 23 and...
  3. Disk 100% Usage. W11, SDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk 100% Usage. W11, SDD: I have 100% disk usage, I already watched and made the YouTube videos. Change the hard drive to see if it was the drive, and not the same, it goes up to 100%...I already reset it and at first it works fine for me and it starts up fine and after downloading Fifa 23 and...
  4. Disk 100% Usage. W11, SDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive: Hi, I've got a problem where my BIOS won't recognise my new or old SSD boot drive. My laptop currently has two hard drives in it: a 500Gb SSD (OS Drive/C Drive) and a 2Tb HDD (data drive only). My OS Drive had been running out of space and I wanted to upgrade it to a bigger...
  6. How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard: i just upgraded my cpu and mobo and when i try to start it it only brings me to the bios menu and i dont know how to start windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-boot-from-my-old-sdd-on-my-new-motherboard/c488a04d-6ede-4d94-aa27-63e9faf4e18f
  7. Recognise partition as disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recognise partition as disk: I have a partition on my OS drive, but I would like the partition to be recognised as a separate disk instead. Is this possible in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recognise-partition-as-disk/257baa9c-de9d-4c41-9111-24a9a9296479
  8. USB Disk Drive not recognised

USB Disk Drive not recognised: Hi I have two 1TB Toshiba USB Hard Drives. Both work on my old Dell laptop but only one works on my relatively new HP machine. Both are running Windows 10 It shows in Device Manager but not in Disk Management or System. Clicking the USB eject icon on the taskbar displays...
  9. How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to boot from my old SDD on my new Motherboard: Recently had my motherboard get fried. Margarita Accident Purchased a new Motherboard and installed it. Got everything cleaned and working but now when I go to launch my BIOS says no bootable device found. A small amount of troubleshooting lead me to believe that this is...
  10. PC Not Booting - Suddenly Stops Recognising Disk...

PC Not Booting - Suddenly Stops Recognising Disk...: Upgraded pc from a 240GB SSD to a 500GB SSD. Windows worked fine, but is now not boooting anymore. None of the startup repair operations work, and instead fail after a few seconds. Also tried using repair functions via booting from an installation USB. Not sure where to go...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. not existing disk in boot order