Windows 10: Existing folders not showing

Discus and support Existing folders not showing in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; On my WD MyCloud external hard drive I have folders stored as well as a WD Smartware backup. I need to delete these backup files because of space... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by SteenskiNo1, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Existing folders not showing

On my WD MyCloud external hard drive I have folders stored as well as a WD Smartware backup.

I need to delete these backup files because of space issues and yes they are backed up on another cloud as well , but am unable to see the folders let alone access them.

How do I access these ghost files?

:)

SteenskiNo1, Mar 20, 2020
  2. nunya Win User

Showing folders that no longer exist.

I deleted a handful of folders a couple days ago while under Win7x64, now i've upped to Win10 it's showing those folders under pictures. obviously i can't access folders that don't exist, which also means I can't delete them, because they don't exist......but they are still listed?

Ideas?

nunya, Mar 20, 2020
  3. AnyOne-10 Win User
    Fresh backup shows files and folders that do not exist on the system

Problem:

• Created fresh old-fashioned backup using "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" to a disk that does not contain a previous backup, FileHistory or WindowsImageBackup
    • Opened Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to test the content of my backup and hit "Restore my files" to browse through the content.

The backup appears to be containing many references to old folders and files that are no longer existing on my PC.
    • When trying to restore such non existing file from the backup, I get the error "The backup file could not be found [...] 0x8100001A". Which is not surprising since the file was not on the system when creating the backup.
    • Also, when looking at the Previous Versions tab of a folder's Properties it shows versions of several years ago. When restoring a 2 year old version it finishes successfully, but no old version is restored. Which is not surprising either.
    What have I tried?:

• I've cleaned my external disk and recreated the backup with the same results of backup.
    • I've switched of System Protection and deleted Restore points and folder still shows Previous Versions of 2 years ago.
    • I've deleted shadow copies using vssadmin and folder still shows Previous Versions of 2 years ago.
    However...

When opening my backup file in Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and clicked "Select another backup to restore files from", the backup does not show old files/folders that do not exist on my system.

Questions:

• How can I get rid of references to old non-existing Previous Versions of my folders?
    • How can I get rid of references to old non-existing files and folders when browsing the backup using "Restore my files"

AnyOne-10, Mar 20, 2020
  4. Existing folders not showing

Moved a folder from another drive and rename and it still shows as the old folder name in certain places

Hi Nick,

I suggest you to try the steps provided below and check the behavior.

• Create a new folder name it as 'My Videos'.
    • Now copy/cut and paste the contents which are in the folder "Videos", and delete the folder "Videos".
    • Now check the behavior.
    Please keep us updated with the status of the folder, to assist you further.

Regards,

Syed Abdul Jabbar, Mar 20, 2020
Thema:

Existing folders not showing

1. Existing folders not showing - Similar Threads - Existing folders showing

2. Folder That Does Not Exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder That Does Not Exist: I download multiples archives through, but during the process, I delete some of it. And now, there are folders that exist and I simply can't delete them, and they hinder all file transfers. When I try to delete them, Windows says it can't find the folder, even though it shows...
  3. Folder That Does Not Exist

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder That Does Not Exist: I download multiples archives through, but during the process, I delete some of it. And now, there are folders that exist and I simply can't delete them, and they hinder all file transfers. When I try to delete them, Windows says it can't find the folder, even though it shows...
  4. Folder That Does Not Exist

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Quick Access not showing folders, Ribbon folder in registry editor does not exist?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Quick Access not showing folders, Ribbon folder in registry editor does not exist?: I am having issues with Quick Access not showing Documents despite the correct address in Registry Editor for documents. I have probably tried every solution under the sun it feels, so I'm coming here so smarter individuals can help lol.I've tried many solutions, such as this...
  6. Quick Access not showing folders, Ribbon folder in registry editor does not exist?

Quick Access not showing folders, Ribbon folder in registry editor does not exist?: I am having issues with Quick Access not showing Documents despite the correct address in Registry Editor for documents. I have probably tried every solution under the sun it feels, so I'm coming here so smarter individuals can help lol.I've tried many solutions, such as this...
  7. Folder exist in file explorer, but not exist in cmd.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder exist in file explorer, but not exist in cmd.: A folder in %appdata%, name .minecraft, I want remove that folder, because I have another folder want place it to there, and also name .minecraft.When I trying to remove it, it just show up a messeage:Also, I can not open it.Then I tried to remove it in cmd, in cmd, this...
  8. Folder exist in file explorer, but not exist in cmd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Folder exist in file explorer, but not exist in cmd.: A folder in %appdata%, name .minecraft, I want remove that folder, because I have another folder want place it to there, and also name .minecraft.When I trying to remove it, it just show up a messeage:Also, I can not open it.Then I tried to remove it in cmd, in cmd, this...
  9. Folder exist in file explorer, but not exist in cmd.

10. Showing folders that no longer exist.

in Windows 10 Support
    Showing folders that no longer exist.: I deleted a handful of folders a couple days ago while under Win7x64, now i've upped to Win10 it's showing those folders under pictures. obviously i can't access folders that don't exist, which also means I can't delete them, because they don't exist......but they are still...