Windows 10: Existing home computer keeps asking me to Activate Windows 10

Discus and support Existing home computer keeps asking me to Activate Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My home computer I've had for years is asking me to activate Windows 10. Several months ago, Microsoft Support helped with another problem and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by citykidusa, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Existing home computer keeps asking me to Activate Windows 10

My home computer I've had for years is asking me to activate Windows 10. Several months ago, Microsoft Support helped with another problem and remotely had to reinstall Win10 Creators update. Went well for 3 months but now computer is acting wonky and keeps asking for activation. Like many others, I upgraded to 10 free. Have no idea where "digital product key" is. Activation page results in error which changes each time I run troubleshooter. Support app and "new" chat don't work. Seems it can't find where its going.

When I called Microsoft Support, they now want money for "paid technical support" or good luck. Anyone encounter this on a fine running machine that just stops working?

Great job Microsoft.

Lee

:)

citykidusa, Feb 6, 2019

2. How to format hard drive and still keep windows 10?

1) Verify it is activated by right-clicking on the start button, selecting System, scroll down to the bottom, and it should say "Windows is activated." If it does not, make sure the computer has internet access, click on activate windows now and then close it when it asks for a key. Let it sit there for a few minutes and it should switch to activated. Microsoft now has a hardware ID for you Windows 7 upgrade.

2) Install Windows 10 from the install media (likely one of the ISOs). Make sure the ISO matches what was originally installed and activated. For example, don't use a Win 10 Pro ISO to install Win 10 Home. It won't work activate.

3) Once you get back into Windows, repeat step #1 when the system has internet access. It should automatically grab the key and activate.

Windows 10 can install without a key. It just assumes trial mode if you do.

FordGT90Concept, Feb 6, 2019
  3. computer keeps asking to activate windows 10

computer keeps asking to activate windows 10 and the only key I have is the original windows 7 key which it wont accept. have installed a new hard drive and windows was reinstalled by shop. all updates are done with no problems. Robin

Robin Dick, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Existing home computer keeps asking me to Activate Windows 10

How to reinstall Windows 10 if my computers used the free upgrade from 7 and 8?

Will windows 10 still accept the license keys from 7 and 8 now if I reinstall my computer?

Does Microsoft keep a list of users who upgraded to Win 10 using their 7 and 8 keys so that when users need to reinstall windows 10 the old keys would work?

Do I need to call in Microsoft to ask them to activate my Windows 10 when I give them my win 7 keys?

Both computers are laptops. The windows 7 machine had the serial printed on the back, and I needed to enter that when I upgraded to 10. The windows 8 machine had the serial built in inside its boot system so I didn't need to enter the key when I upgraded to 10, but I did manage to write down the keys using a fetcher program.

JebusPrime, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

Existing home computer keeps asking me to Activate Windows 10

1. Existing home computer keeps asking me to Activate Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Existing home computer

2. why is my computer keep on asking me to activate my windows 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why is my computer keep on asking me to activate my windows 8: hiam confused how will i keep my computer and my data safe when it is notifying me to activate my windows 8 while am using it and am storing data in it.May you kindly assist me to overcome this problem....
  3. why is my computer keep on asking me to activate my windows 8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why is my computer keep on asking me to activate my windows 8: hiam confused how will i keep my computer and my data safe when it is notifying me to activate my windows 8 while am using it and am storing data in it.May you kindly assist me to overcome this problem....
  4. Why windows11 keeps asking me to activate windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why windows11 keeps asking me to activate windows: I was using a genuine version of windows 10 and after upgrading to windows 11 it keeps asking activation keys. Iam using intel i7 10th gen processor. Any time a pop up window comes and ask me to activate windows and when i open it it shows your window is activated. It is...
  5. Why windows11 keeps asking me to activate windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why windows11 keeps asking me to activate windows: I was using a genuine version of windows 10 and after upgrading to windows 11 it keeps asking activation keys. Iam using intel i7 10th gen processor. Any time a pop up window comes and ask me to activate windows and when i open it it shows your window is activated. It is...
  6. Windows 10 Keeps Asking Me To Activate

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Keeps Asking Me To Activate: I purchased a digital copy of Windows 10 directly from Microsft in 2019, and it has been working great until recently. Honestly, its still working fine, it's just that in the bottom right hand part of the screen, a message appears and has started to ask me to activate every...
  7. Windows 10 Home Suddenly Asking For Activation

Windows 10 Home Suddenly Asking For Activation: I've owned my Asus X442U for 3 years, bought from an authorized retailer. They activated Windows the day I bought it, with the product key and all so I'm sure I've been running a legit version of Windows all these years. I'm currently running Windows 10 Home 1903 Build...
  8. Windows 10 keeps asking to be activated

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 keeps asking to be activated: Not sure if I need to post this here or in /r/techsupport , but here goes: Since a week my Windows 10 gives the message: "Windows 10 is not activated, please activate now." I then go to settings and select "fix this problem." Windows activates itself again and it says...
  9. Windows 10 Home keeps asking for activation from time to time

Windows 10 Home keeps asking for activation from time to time: I have this issue after receiving the PC from HP repair. They replaced SSD, and now Windows wants to be activated. I go to settings, Activation, Troubleshooting. The troubleshooter thinks a bit and says "We've activated this copy of Windows". All seems well, however a...
  10. computer keeps asking me to restart computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    computer keeps asking me to restart computer: how do I solve this problem only happened since the april update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/computer-keeps-asking-me-to-restart-computer/56dfd0ca-550d-45d1-8f86-f31e4b8e615b

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer keeps asking to activate windows 10

2. windows 10 keep on asking me to activate

3. windows 10 keeps asking for activation