Windows 10: Existing Windows 7 COA used to authorize a Windows 10 Install.

Discus and support Existing Windows 7 COA used to authorize a Windows 10 Install. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hopefully someone can give me a direction on this issue. I have recently purchased an off-lease HP Z420 workstation that came without an HDU for my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Paul A Bryant, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Existing Windows 7 COA used to authorize a Windows 10 Install.

Hopefully someone can give me a direction on this issue.

I have recently purchased an off-lease HP Z420 workstation that came without an HDU for my own personal use. I installed a 500GB SSD into the machine and used the Microsoft install tool to burn a W10 install onto a thumbdrive and subsequently installed W10 to the Z420. I'm not entirely sure how but this machine authenticated the W10 install through my Microsoft account. It is not asking for a COA and it runs perfectly with apparently all of the W10Pro features. I've subsequently found an authentic HP Windows 7 COA stuck to the underside of the computer and I surmise that this is the COA associated with this machine. Can I or should I use this W7 COA to license this machine and if so how? or should I continue with the current situation of "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account"?

regards, Paul A

:)

Paul A Bryant, Apr 18, 2020

2. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Nope, you need to install Windows 10 first and make sure the Windows 7 key is transferred to your Windows account after you've installed Windows 10 (not quite sure how that works). I missed the last step and I could not activate Windows 10 after a re-install... Microsoft seem to have done everything they can to make it a PITA. Also, it's technically too late to do this now anyhow, as the upgrade offer has expired. But KMSPico works quite well...

As for getting rid of Windows, delete the Windows folder.

TheLostSwede, Apr 18, 2020
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Hi guys,
    Okay, so I wanted to know, I currently have a pc at home with a paid Windows 7 installed. I am getting a new computer either Friday or Monday with an SSD. Seeing as I want Windows 10 now and not 7 and I want it on my SSD how to I get to do this. I already downloaded a Windows 10 file in order to make one of my flash drives eligible for a windows 10 installation.

Will it be possible for me to just install windows 10 on the new SSD with this flash drive using my Windows 7 key, whilst my original windows 7 is still installed on the old Hard drive. And if it is how to I go about deleting my old OS from the HDD, seeing as I also want to use that HDD in my new pc, without formatting all the games I have on it currently?

Thank you in advance

MichaelDFF, Apr 18, 2020
  4. ironwolf Win User

Existing Windows 7 COA used to authorize a Windows 10 Install.

Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Two quick ways to use your Windows 7 key during the install:

1. When asked for the serial #, put in that Windows 7 serial # and continue on. It should activate as soon as it hits an internet connection.

2. When asked for the serial #, at bottom of window click on the I don't have a serial # text (or whatever it says). It will then ask what version you want to install, ie. Home or Pro. Be sure to install the right version that matches your Windows 7 key. Then once you get into windows you can activate by putting in the key. Some people prefer this method, not sure why honestly. Easier to do #1, since the installer will see your key and know which flavor of Windows 10 you are trying to install.

ironwolf, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

Existing Windows 7 COA used to authorize a Windows 10 Install.

1. Existing Windows 7 COA used to authorize a Windows 10 Install. - Similar Threads - Existing COA used

2. Windows 10 COA-

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 COA-: Hello,I own a small side business by selling used laptops and computers online. I usually purchase those laptops from different venders who they usually wipe the hard drive completely before selling it to me.Those laptops and computers have either Windows 7 license Key...
  3. upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7, can i still re-use my coa of windows 7 on a...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    upgrading to windows 10 from windows 7, can i still re-use my coa of windows 7 on a...: i was wondering, if i upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10, is it possible to keep my cd key from windows 7 and use it on another system, or does the upgrade acquire windows 7's cd key if it was genuine activated system from before? the reason i intend on doing this is...
  4. windows 7 COA to windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 7 COA to windows 10: I am a computer tech for a national retail computer sales and service company, being part of their service and repair team I have been required to obtain training from a variety of sites, of course the Microsoft Expert Zone is one of them, as such over the years as part of...
  5. Make Windows 10 installer use existing partitioning

Make Windows 10 installer use existing partitioning: Hello, I have a GPT partition layout on my HDD which includes (in the order): 511 MiB partition, type code 2700 (Windows RE), NTFS-formatted, intended for Windows Recovery Tools 512 MiB partition, type code EF00 (EFI System), FAT32-formatted, intended to be an EFI System...
  6. Typo on Windows 10 COA

Typo on Windows 10 COA: I opened up a OEM copy of Windows 10 today, did the lottery scratch off to expose the product key, and the key only has 24 characters. The first set is only four characters long -> XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX Since is now nearly impossible to actually call someone @...
  7. installing windows 10 over existing windows 7 OS

installing windows 10 over existing windows 7 OS: Hi there, so im sure this is probably a rather banal question, but its my first time doing a clean install of an OS and id rather not leave anthing to chance. Yes, there are literally hundreds of web pages with instructions on how to do this, but i still prefer input...
  8. Activating Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Pro OEM COA?

Activating Windows 10 Pro with Windows 7 Pro OEM COA?: Greetings. I have a question regarding Windows 10 activation. I have a system with a Windows 7 Pro COA, but I want to install Windows 10 via a clean install (the system is blank anyway) Can I use the key on the COA to activate Windows 10 Pro? Just wondering as the...
  9. [SOLVED]Windows 7 Home x64 - COA sticker

[SOLVED]Windows 7 Home x64 - COA sticker: Hello. I have installed Win7 from scratch. Activated it ok using a COA sticker at the bottom of the laptop. Installed all Windows Update updates. I ran gatherosstate thing and generated a genuineticket.xml file. Format. Installed w10 from scratch (clean). No connection to...
  10. Windows COA

Windows COA: Long story short, I have this Laptop preinstalled Windows 8 PRO A microsoft employee is inquiring (for license compliance) about this machine's COA and asking repeatedly about COA sticker. I can't find it anywhere. It says in BIOS it has Windows 8 preinstalled, but I...