Windows 10: Exiting any fullscreen application causes windows to hang, then crash.

Discus and support Exiting any fullscreen application causes windows to hang, then crash. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Anytime that I exit a full-screen application typically a video game, all of my monitors freeze, though my mouse still moves unable to interact with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jopri1, Nov 15, 2020.

1. jopri1 Win User

Exiting any fullscreen application causes windows to hang, then crash.

Anytime that I exit a full-screen application typically a video game, all of my monitors freeze, though my mouse still moves unable to interact with anything for about a minute or two until it freezes as well.

So far, it seems I am able to avoid my system freezing if I set all of my games to run in windowed mode, but this is not ideal and only a temporary work-around.

For some reason, the instant I exit a full-screen game, both SearchApp.exe and dwm.exe stop responding and crash, according to the Event Viewer.

I'm really at a loss as to why this is happening and what I can do to fix this. This started happening maybe 2-3 weeks ago. My PC has all of the latest Windows updates and GeForce drivers.

:)

jopri1, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

Exiting any fullscreen application causes windows to hang, then crash.

1. Exiting any fullscreen application causes windows to hang, then crash. - Similar Threads - Exiting fullscreen application

2. Notepad hangs at exit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad hangs at exit: When I do not quit notepad before shutdown, Windows 11 prevents me from doing shutdown. After "cancel shutdown" and return to desktop, I find the notepad inactive. The only way to return to normal function is "end of task" in Task Manager Task is Notepad application.This...
  3. Dealing with crashes that cause games and browser to crash, hang, or freeze. Any info or...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dealing with crashes that cause games and browser to crash, hang, or freeze. Any info or...: These hangs are entirely random and cause me to get the "scan and repair" on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, a crash on Halo Infinite, costing me ranked games, Battle.net closes itself, and my entire system hangs. Hoping this info can be used to find the underlying cause for...
  4. Dealing with crashes that cause games and browser to crash, hang, or freeze. Any info or...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dealing with crashes that cause games and browser to crash, hang, or freeze. Any info or...: These hangs are entirely random and cause me to get the "scan and repair" on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, a crash on Halo Infinite, costing me ranked games, Battle.net closes itself, and my entire system hangs. Hoping this info can be used to find the underlying cause for...
  5. PC crashes in fullscreen with some applications

PC crashes in fullscreen with some applications: my pc crashes when changing resolution in games or sometimes just at random whilst some applications like chrome are unafectedi think its a software issue because i have checked almost everything possible hardware related,this issue has been recurring since i changed my two...
  6. PC crashes in fullscreen with some applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashes in fullscreen with some applications: my pc crashes when changing resolution in games or sometimes just at random whilst some applications like chrome are unafectedi think its a software issue because i have checked almost everything possible hardware related,this issue has been recurring since i changed my two...
  7. PC crashes in fullscreen with some applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Unable to exit fullscreen applications

Unable to exit fullscreen applications: All of a sudden my computer became unable to exit out of full screen applications. When I press windows key and a number, I can see the apps that corresponds to it but I have to keep the windows key pressed or I will exit back to the full screen application. When I am stuck...
  9. Application Hang and Crash

Application Hang and Crash: I'm having trouble having a desktop run Sims 4. Security and Maintenance gives it an Exception Code of 8000003 and doesn't seem to be hardware related as it surpasses the minimum stats of a 2.0 GHz processor and 2 GB of RAM with more than 10 GB open drive space using known...
  10. BSOD watching YouTube fullscreen/exiting fullscreen

BSOD watching YouTube fullscreen/exiting fullscreen: For like an half a year I have been getting blue screens, sometimes randomly when watching Youtube videoAttachment 113450s, sometimes exiting fullscreen and immediately doing something else, like going into another tab etc. I have tried to fix it by searching for the...