Windows 10: Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane

Discus and support Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Now and then I want to view the full folder tree in Navigation Pane of File Explorer. There are some options to keep the folder tree open, but most of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MadDoctor61, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane

Now and then I want to view the full folder tree in Navigation Pane of File Explorer. There are some options to keep the folder tree open, but most of the time they are a pain in the butt. When I do want the tree visible, I have to go to the root disk and open each parent folder independently (generally at least half a dozen). Is there a quick way to ask window to open the tree, only when I want it shown?

I know there is an option to show all folders, but this makes the navigation pane un-navigable and useless

Folder Options / View Tab / Navigation pane/ Show all folders

Another option is better, but becomes a nuisance when used all the time.

Folder Options / View Tab / Navigation pane/ Expand to open folder

The handiest would be a right-click option to "Expand Folder Tree".

:)

MadDoctor61, Nov 17, 2018

2. File Explorer navigation pane sometimes expands to show all folders and sometimes consolidates shows only the selected folder

Both the folders that expand fully and those that partially expand have exactly the same settings, which are as you suggested, so this didn't solve the problem. Any other ideas?

Bruce Needham, Nov 17, 2018
  3. Not able to open sub-folders from navigation pane in File explorer.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Under which drive are you not able to view the sub folders?
    • Are you not able to expand the options from navigation pane of the File explorer?

This seems to be a temporary issue. Sometimes disabling and enabling some of the options will fix the issue.

Follow the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Open File explorer by pressing Windows key + E keys on the keyboard.
    • Click on View tab located at the top of the window.
    • Click on Navigation pane and uncheck Navigation pane option.
    • Close the window, follow the above steps from a to
      c
      , only this time check the option Navigation pane and check if the changes are effective.

Write back to us for further assistance, we will be happy to assist.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Nov 17, 2018
  4. Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane

File Explorer navigation pane sometimes expands to show all folders and sometimes consolidates shows only the selected folder

Hi Bruce,

I just want to verify if what you want to establish is to set the navigation pane to display the major folder and expand the consolidated list of sub-folders when you select or click a single folder in the File Explorer main page? If so, please follow the
    steps below:

• Launch File Explorer, then click View on the top.
    • On the right pane, click Options > Change folder and search options.
    • On the Folder options > General tab, make sure the Open each folder in the same window is selected.
    • Click Apply.
    • On the same Folder options window, click the View tab.
    • Under Advanced settings, scroll down to Navigation pane and tick
      Expand to open folder.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

Once done, close File Explorer and relaunch it. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Regards.

"If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to mark it as answer

to help those who are facing the same problem."

Vanessa Yar, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane

1. Expand File Explorer Navigation Pane - Similar Threads - Expand File Explorer

2. Windows 11 - Disable Expand Folder in Navigation Pane of File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Disable Expand Folder in Navigation Pane of File Explorer.: Hi,I have tried all the options from this linkhttps://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-expand-folder-in-navigation-pane-of-file-explorer-in-windows-11.2544/If I open my File Explorer through Windows, it works correctly it doesn't expand .However if I open my File Explorer...
  3. Windows 11 - Disable Expand Folder in Navigation Pane of File Explorer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Disable Expand Folder in Navigation Pane of File Explorer.: Hi,I have tried all the options from this linkhttps://www.elevenforum.com/t/turn-on-or-off-expand-folder-in-navigation-pane-of-file-explorer-in-windows-11.2544/If I open my File Explorer through Windows, it works correctly it doesn't expand .However if I open my File Explorer...
  4. Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Dynamic Navigation Pane File Explorer: Hey guys, I hope everyone is doing well! Quick question, does anyone know how to or rather if there even is a way, to be able to set the navigation pane in File Explorer to dynamically minimize and maximise on mouse hover? I have pined the option to show and hide navigation...
  5. Show local disk C: as "expandable and collapsible" On navigation pane in file explorer in...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Show local disk C: as "expandable and collapsible" On navigation pane in file explorer in...: Hey! I'd like to display my local disk C: as an "expandable and collapsible" drive on the navigation pane in file explorer in Windows 10. Is this possible? [ATTACH]...
  6. Navigation pane keeps expanding folders

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Navigation pane keeps expanding folders: I have noticed that lately, the navigation pane has been expanding folders when opening them. That option is disabled in folder view settings. https://i.imgur.com/FcNSf9i.png https://i.imgur.com/Ext1HJd.png Noticed it on two separate computers. Its really annoying, any...
  7. Make Explorer Navigation Pane expand to open folder in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Make Explorer Navigation Pane expand to open folder in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]When you click on the File Explorer icon in Windows 10, it displays a navigation folder on the left, and Quick Access details on the right. If you notice, the folders list in the navigation pane does not list all [...] This post Make Explorer Navigation Pane...
  8. Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder: Like the title says, I cannot get the navigation pane to expand to the currently open folder right now on one of my machines, it stays stuck on either Desktop or Quick Access. And mainly when navigating one of the virtual folders, like "My Documents". I think I need to go...
  9. Reset Navigation Pane Expanded State in Windows 10 File Explorer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Reset Navigation Pane Expanded State in Windows 10 File Explorer: How to: Reset Navigation Pane Expanded State in Windows 10 File Explorer How to Reset Navigation Pane Expanded State in Windows 10 File Explorer You can use the navigation pane in File Explorer to browse locations such as Quick access, OneDrive, Libraries, This PC,...
  10. Navigation Pane Always Expanding on USB Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane Always Expanding on USB Drive: Win L: 10 10240. ONLY usb drives in the navigation pane keep expanding to open folder. I have turned this setting off/on many times and it will not stick for usb drives. Is there a reg file around here that will take care of this for me? I searched but didn't see anything at...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows do not expand explorer navigtion pane