Windows 10: Expand the start menu (left side)

Discus and support Expand the start menu (left side) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Perhaps I'm missing something but can the left side (non tiled side) of the start menu be expanded? If so, how? [img] I kind of find it a bit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sygnus21, Sep 28, 2015.

1. sygnus21 Win User

Expand the start menu (left side)

Perhaps I'm missing something but can the left side (non tiled side) of the start menu be expanded? If so, how?

Expand the start menu (left side) [​IMG]

I kind of find it a bit annoying that I can't expand that side out a little so I can easily read item titles.

Thanks.

:)

sygnus21, Sep 28, 2015

2. Display All Apps on start screen when switching to Start mode in full screen mode

When I press the Windows Key or the Start button, I would like to see the Start Menu on the left side with the All Apps expanded. There doesn't seem to be any way to do this - I tried the Task Bar settings, but the Start Menu tab is no longer available,
    which offered some options. The Start settings offer a Use full screen toggle that displays the menu on the left side, albeit without the All Apps expanded (better then nothing), but it reduces the screen size and hides not Start Screen tiles.

Any idea how to do thois?

blegs38552, Sep 28, 2015
  3. Win 10 Update: Start Menu Properties Missing

Andre, this is not my issue as I don't want to use START FULL SCREEN. Prior to the MS Upgrade a few days ago, the left hand side of my START menu was in EXPANDED view. After the upgrade I must now click the small icon in the upper left hand corner each
    and every time I click START. I would like EXPAND to be my default.

StevenLapidus, Sep 28, 2015
  4. essenbe Win User

Drew, not that I am aware of, if you mean width wise. The height can be changed, but I don't believe the left side width can be changed.

essenbe, Sep 28, 2015
  5. Cliff S New Member
    I tried messing around with it, the only answer I can give is, when you mouse over and wait a second, the full name will show(red arrow)

Cliff S, Sep 28, 2015
  6. sygnus21 Win User
    Yeah, I mean width wise. Anyway it does seem you can't expand that left side. Was hoping I may have missed something *Sad

@ Cliff S,

Thanks, hadn't thought about the hover thing. That helps, but still would be nice to expand it out a little.

Thanks guys *Smile

sygnus21, Sep 28, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    If you use the Start Menu 'Full Screen', it gets a little wider/bigger:

Edwin, Sep 28, 2015
  8. sygnus21 Win User

I'm sorry, what's Start Menu 'Full Screen'?

Never mind, I found it but it didn't really do anything for me except fully expand the right side.

Thanks.

sygnus21, Sep 29, 2015
  9. Edwin New Member
    The Start Menu uses all of your screen; try it:

Edwin, Sep 29, 2015
  10. essenbe Win User
    Drew, it's mostly, it seems to me, for the tiles to be full screen. But right click the desktop, select personalize, in the left column select start, then select use start full screen.

OOps, Edwin beat me to it.

essenbe, Sep 29, 2015
  11. sygnus21 Win User
    Yeah I found it. See my edited post above. And yeah, it doesn't help for what I want.

Thanks.

sygnus21, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Expand the start menu (left side) - Similar Threads - Expand start menu

2. Can the App list on the left side in fullscreen Start be expanded by default?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can the App list on the left side in fullscreen Start be expanded by default?: When using the fullscreen mode on the Start menu, the one that takes up the entire screen, the left-hand side of the layout which usually shows the App list, does not exist. Instead, that app list and the pinned apps are in a either-or relationship; only one is visible at a...
  3. Start Menu left margin icons - expanded?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu left margin icons - expanded?: Is there a way to customize the Windows 10 start menu to always expand the left margin icons? There are three lines at the top left corner that can expand the left margin outward, but it collapses afterwards. I'd prefer to get rid of the alphabetized scroll list altogether...
  4. Prevent Start Menu side bar from expanding out?

Prevent Start Menu side bar from expanding out?: Is there a way to stop the power icon (or settings, file explorer etc) from expanding out to the side when my mouse hovers over it for half a second? I know that's the power button, that's why I've put my mouse there, the fact it expands itself out means more often than not...
  5. Pin to left side of Start Menu Achieved

Pin to left side of Start Menu Achieved: 1) Browse to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu Places 2) Rename one of the existing folders there to what folder you want it to be 3) Right-click > Properties to said folder and set new destination folder address 4) Go to Settings App > Personalization > Start >...
  6. Pin down shortcuts on the left side of the start menu

Pin down shortcuts on the left side of the start menu: I did an upgrade from win 7 to 10. Some glitches, but nothing I can handle. But i didn't like when u pin down a short cut on the start menu, it went to right. I want some program to pin down on the leftside, like win7. Is't possible to do that on win10? 14515
  7. Customize the left side of the Start menu - Pin to Start List?

Customize the left side of the Start menu - Pin to Start List?: hello. I wanted to add some programs to the top of the left side of the start menu (free space on the screenshoot). I have read about the "Pin to Start List" if you rightclick while holding shift. But this seems not to be working anymore!?!?! Is there another possibility...
  8. Left-hand side start menu true customisation?

in Windows 10 Support
    Left-hand side start menu true customisation?: Hey guys, back in the good old days of W7, you could pin an application to the start menu and it would appear on the left hand side and it would also offer a list of recently opened things within that application as a right arrow for ease of selection. For example,...
  9. Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Pinning items to left side of Start Menu?: ....referring to the huge blank space Microsoft has provided on the left side of the start menu below the "most used" programs and above the folders selected in the Personalization/Start settings. Is this not customizable? Or has anyone figured out a workaround for this...
  10. How to Expand the left side of Start (by default)

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Expand the left side of Start (by default): In Start Menu, on the left there is an expand button, but how can I make it expanded by default (thus hiding that ridiculous huge list of apps by letter) Thanks in advance. 68969

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start menu hover expand left menu

2. expand start menu left screen