Windows 10: Expected transfer rate Windows 10 to USB 3.0 Stick

Discus and support Expected transfer rate Windows 10 to USB 3.0 Stick in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Bonjour, I am questionning a lot the usual transfer rate Windows offers for different file transfers. For example, what transfer rate should I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Warluck, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Warluck Win User

Expected transfer rate Windows 10 to USB 3.0 Stick

Bonjour,
    I am questionning a lot the usual transfer rate Windows offers for different file transfers.

For example, what transfer rate should I expect from Windows 10 USB 3.0 to USB 3.0 Kingston stick.

I know Kingston are not the top of the line but they are far from the crapest stick on the market these days. When transferring a video file of 1.9G to the stick I got 4.5 MB/s of transfer rate which I find quite low.

The port is USB 3.0 so is the stick. Bran new Gamming 7 Gigabyte Mobo.

Thanks

:)

Warluck, Sep 23, 2016

2. Supplimentry USB Hard drives

Hi Mok,

Transfer rate may vary on the type of USB (E.g. USB 2.0 or USB 3.0) you are using and the RPM (revolutions per minute) of your hard drive. The higher the RPM the faster data transfer. Is your computer and hard drive a USB 3.0 compliant?

Regards.

Robelene Win, Sep 23, 2016
  3. Why are file transfers between drives so much slower in Win 10 than in Win 8.1 (using same PC and drives)?

I have the Windows 10 pro upgrade (Insider review version) and Windows 8.1 concurrently installed on a Dell XPS-8700 desktop. I also have 3 internal multi-terabyte drives, 4 (multi-terabyte) USB 3.0 and 1 (4 terabyte) USB 2 drive attached to this PC.

When I transfer large (>200 MB) files from a USB 3.0 drive to the USB 2 drive in Win 8.1 I get transfer rates, typically around 40 MB/s. In Win 10 for the same type transfer, between the exact same drives, I get a transfer rate around 10 MB/s.

Can anyone suggest an explanation for this? I mean, I just did it. It takes between 2 to 5 minutes to swap OSs. So it's not like one day I use Win 8.1 and the next I use Win 10. I just did it with no more than a 1/2 hour between the Win 8.1 transfers and
    similar Win 10 transfers.

I've noticed other, file related, performance differences between 8.1 and 10 and they aren't, as one would expect, in Win 10's favor.

I'm really at a loss here. Any suggestions?

ThomasAckley, Sep 23, 2016
  4. Warluck Win User

Doing some research I kinda found the answer to my interrogations.

Using this website, comparing USB keys and giving benchmark I could establish that the stick I have performed exactly as it should. I tested my sandisk extreme and got almost 100Mb/s of transfer rate for the same file.

Home - UserBenchmark

Warluck, Sep 23, 2016
  5. Using my Corsair Voyager, which is the fastest USB 3.0 stick I have, I average about 80MB/s transfer.

But, I find it varies a LOT between different sticks and different brands. Some only get in the 20's.

Mark Phelps, Sep 23, 2016
  6. Adalwar Win User
    Connecting a USB 3.0 device to a USB 2.0 Port will dramatically decrease overall performance.
    In a Elevated Command Prompt type
    winsat disk -drive x: (where x is your drive letter)

That is a full set of bench marking for your Drive.
    How big is your Stick ? Which Format?

Adalwar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Expected transfer rate Windows 10 to USB 3.0 Stick - Similar Threads - Expected transfer rate

2. Unable to use USB for file transfer or usb thethering expect for charging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to use USB for file transfer or usb thethering expect for charging: recently i m facing an unusual issue with my MI11x phone .Whenever i connect my phone to a pc via usb cable it directly starts charging without as for the 4-5 options to use for file transfer or charging or others.I have tried connecting with different cables and even on...
  3. Unable to use USB for file transfer or usb thethering expect for charging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to use USB for file transfer or usb thethering expect for charging: recently i m facing an unusual issue with my MI11x phone .Whenever i connect my phone to a pc via usb cable it directly starts charging without as for the 4-5 options to use for file transfer or charging or others.I have tried connecting with different cables and even on...
  4. Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes: I've had this issue intermittently the past few months ever since I bought this computer in November last year, but more and more often the past few weeks where my computer will slow down in all aspects, programs will crash, and the computer itself will occasionally blue...
  5. Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Usage 100%, Transfer Rate 0, slowdown and crashes: I've had this issue intermittently the past few months ever since I bought this computer in November last year, but more and more often the past few weeks where my computer will slow down in all aspects, programs will crash, and the computer itself will occasionally blue...
  6. Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive at 100% Active, Even with Transfer Rate at 0: Hi there, Recently my computer has been experiencing slow downs and occasional program freezes. This happens mostly when opening the file explorer, or trying to access files on this drive. This seems to have occurred after an update, but this may or may not be related....
  7. Transfer files to USB stick

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer files to USB stick: I am trying to copy a file from my computer to a flash drive usb stick to transfer the file to my laptop. My computer is using windows 10, nothing happens when I put the usb stick in the computer. I don't have a clue how to do this. Any help would be welcome....
  8. Multiple USB memory stick transfers gitching

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Multiple USB memory stick transfers gitching: Hello All, At our business we transfer files to multiple memory sticks on the same PC. We're running windows 10, and have two USB extender hubs which have 4 usb ports each. I've found on multiple windows 10 PCs, that over time bugs develop in the transfers which causes a few...
  9. Multiple USB memory stick transfers gitching

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple USB memory stick transfers gitching: Hello All, At our business we transfer files to multiple memory sticks on the same PC. We're running windows 10, and have two USB extender hubs which have 4 usb ports each. I've found on multiple windows 10 PCs, that over time bugs develop in the transfers which causes a few...
  10. Slow USB Transfer rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow USB Transfer rate: My lappie has USB3 ports. Or course I know the clock down to whatever device you attach. I have a 500G Seagate External rated at USB2. Meaning my transfers should be 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps), correct? So why am I getting half that...